Woodley has a pretty easy path to get at least 6 or 7 title defenses

He seems to think he'll be fighting Khabib. I'm not sure if fighting Khabib is all that gutless. He would end up being basically the same size as Khabib. His reach advantage I feel would be a non-factor after a few minutes. Someone is taking it the mat, and it's going to stay there. Honestly Khabib may have a strength and grappling advantage here.

Thats a fight i would watch for sure, i figured he was angling for the conor fight which would be a washout

He should challenge for the MW tittle after he is done with Colby and Usman imo, there'll be no one else left in that division after those two.
Disagree. I think breaking GSP's number of title defenses would be bigger at that point than winning a fight at MW.

I don't see why everybody thinks GSP can't take a punch, Bisping, HEndricks and Condit hit him hard enough. Sure Woodley can clip him clean but GSP can also do that. The two closest fight GSP ever had were Penn 1 and Hendricks. They both were the agressor and always coming forward. I don't see Woodley backpedalling to a success against a well rounded fighter like GSP.

GSPs the goat and he can take a punch, just dunno about a Woodley punch. They're both great wrestlers i dont think either keeps the other one down so i imagine a standup fight. Gsp has great technical striking and will try to dictate the pace with the jab. Thing is Woodleys bread and butter is countering over the top of a jab. Woodleys a smart fighter aswell, he wont chase gsp around winging haymakers getting tagged like hendricks or koscheck. It'll be on GSP to press forward and when he does? Its Tyrons game.

If UFC was #1 promotion in the world as it was not that long ago, Lima, Koreshkov and Rory would be there, so Woodley's path woudnt be that easy

Disagree. I think breaking GSP's number of title defenses would be bigger at that point than winning a fight at MW.

I dont think so.
Back when GSP was defending the belt, there wasnt a #2 org who hired some of the best talents in the divisions. And if they were (SF, WEC), eventually came to the UFC and challenged GSP.
If Rory, Lima, Koreshkov, Askren, Larkin etc were in the UFC, defendin the belt in such deep division would be huge. Nowadays, I think to challenge a top fighter in the upper weightclass in UFC is more a feat that keep defnding the belt against guys that would not hold a belt even in Bellator

With a few+ more solid performances he'll match the best WW of the past. Add GSP to the list and there can be no argument.

I can get behind that, but both have pretty terrible striking defense. Pre USADA Hendricks should be able to hit Usman flush enough to put him down, he has taken some shots but nothing as hard as that version of Hendricks.

I don't think either are that close to Woodley's level right now. They have to establish a multiple round grind to tire Tyron enough to remove his danger. At this point they both get caught trying to close the distance within two rounds IMO.
maybe. Damn now I feel like watching Hendricks vs gsp, Fitch and Lawler 1 again. when exactly was post usada? after Hendricks Lawler 2?

Shields controlled the fight and Tyron was unable to much of anything.

Shields is higher on the GOAT ladder than Woodley even now.
if prime Woodley faced prime shields, I know Woodley will win for sure. When they fought, he had no head coach to help him and was more of a wrestler.

He's stated he wants to give fans big memorable fights. Clearly he doesn't feel Woodley will do that. He also would like to do something huge in his own words, and most take that to mean being a three division champ. Hence he's slimming down to 155.

if he wanted to give fans memorable fights he'd have fought Yoel or Whittaker.

I dont think so.
Back when GSP was defending the belt, there wasnt a #2 org who hired some of the best talents in the divisions. And if they were (SF, WEC), eventually came to the UFC and challenged GSP.
If Rory, Lima, Koreshkov, Askren, Larkin etc were in the UFC, defendin the belt in such deep division would be huge. Nowadays, I think to challenge a top fighter in the upper weightclass in UFC is more a feat that keep defnding the belt against guys that would not hold a belt even in Bellator
I guess it really depends on the timing and who the opponent is. I don't think many consider beating Bisping to be GSP's crowning achievement, but I could wrong.

if prime Woodley faced prime shields, I know Woodley will win for sure. When they fought, he had no head coach to help him and was more of a wrestler.
I don't care about your conjecture, I care about what actually happened and what happened is that Woodley lost to Shields. He also lost to Rory and has barely evolved since that fight.

Wonderboy, Maia, and Till. All whatever's apparently when they were all given their own right for why they would demolish Woodley and be the next thing. Fighters do change with times and divisions change. I'll agree Wood could be stuck with lack of comp but not because the fighters aren't quality or names for the division..
Who could possibly have ever thought Maia was going to win? The other two you're exactly right about, so taking your approach Woodley has 3 quality wins and beating Covington would make 4. Then the division will have to change pretty quickly.
I believe people have trouble with Woodley as a GOAT because of that but also, and perhaps more importantly, because of his losses.

Who could possibly have ever thought Maia was going to win? The other two you're exactly right about, so taking your approach Woodley has 3 quality wins and beating Covington would make 4. Then the division will have to change pretty quickly.
I believe people have trouble with Woodley as a GOAT because of that but also, and perhaps more importantly, because of his losses.
I never thought he would of beat T-Wood realistically. If he does beat Colby I'd say that is a good win as well. The division still has Usman as well and no one apparently wants to fight him. After that RDA if he can pick up a win. A lot can happen between those 3 fights alone though. Contenders can rise and get wins in the top 10 during this.

I don't care about your conjecture, I care about what actually happened and what happened is that Woodley lost to Shields. He also lost to Rory and has barely evolved since that fight.
he has certainly evolved. his timing has improved. he has gotten bigger, stronger, faster. his footwork has vastly improved and so has his anticipation skills. He is a much better fighter and would beat both now. Rory is damaged goods after his Lawler 2 bout. He is not the same anymore.

GSP doesn't need to beat Woodley. GSP is already the greatest WW of all time. Woodley is chasing him to be the greatest. GSP has done all there is to do in the WW division, he doesn't need, or want, to go back there. He's done enough for MMA and the UFC and now he gets to choose what he wants, because he's earned that. GSP was the PPV King long before Conor. He made the UFC lots of money and now he gets to make the money.

That's fine and all but let's not pretend like GSP would be a favorite against Woodley. GSP knows its his hardest fight which is why he's trying to go the path of least resistance to get the most $ and accolades. But if Woodley keeps winning, it's getting harder and harder to argue that GSP has nothing to gain by beating Woodley.

Looking at the rankings. There really isnt anyone I see that will beat Woodley soundly. And there are many fighters with perfect records or near perfect records that should be taken into consideration.

Woodley took Till's 0, Gastelum's 0, gave Thompson his second loss. With good match making and if he wins, Colby and Usman's second loss. If Alex stays on a roll maybe his 0.

Back