Wonderboy Thompson vs The Immortal Brown

1. If Machida did pure Karate, he'd get KO'ed by everyone. He's still number 2 or 3 in his division and a top level MMA striker.

2. I don't care about Joe. There is no good fighting form in that video, and if that's good Karate I'm afraid of how bad poor Karate is.

4. No he is not. Just no. Karate dude doesn't have the physical conditioning, the full contact experience, the understanding of distance, the chin, or the skill to take out MMA fighters left right and center. If they did, there'd be pure Karate dudes cleaning the UFC up. There aren't. What does that tell you? Matt Brown did an awesome job but he is still a journeyman and will always be a journeyman. Also, don't offer lessons until you have some knowledge of what you're talking about, please.

1. I've rejected Joe too. For the same reason. I'd like to spar with him though, if he did spar. In my experience, people who will not spar are hiding something. Scripted self defense drills are a good sign of self delusion and wasting time.

2. I don't consider myself a master either. The kukkiwon considers me a master. I am comfortable in my approach because it's been proven to work through sparring and competition.

3. You can keep snoring through facts if you want, no skin off my nose.

1. I am hiding, from those who don't train properly. HIde, Hide, hide. There, that's different than 'snore'....

2. Well, let's be humble then.... What about
? WE had an aggressive, kickboxer testing for his black-belt when I joined. Had most of the school intimidated.... Said the same thing [as you] .... I wiped him out in the 1st Exchange. Was going to kick to send me backwards.... I stood still... He moved in to throw as quick R / L combo.... blocked & hit him twice before he could even think about combo step 2. Kept his hands up like a good boxer.... didn't protect him....

he was pissed for awhile.... got over it. Hasn't figured out why his full contact mentality didn't work or have me intimidated, not yet.... The guy never was able to land a hand on me.... I went to defense only for the remainder of the match....

3. Snore.....

Machida's next fight w Bader.... looking forward & rooting for lyoto as always...

KarateStylist

The wonderboy everyone saw was maybe 10% of what he really is. Im not making excuses for him but he was dragging ass in the second--a guy with almost 70 combined fights usually do not have cardio issue but it was probably a tough weight cut, remember he fought two months ago. WB lit up brown standing, no two ways about it, even being tired as fuck...brown even said after the fight in an interview he was knocked out twice...WB has two more fights lined up in the UFC so tune in, trust me this guy is good but he does need to take time to wrestle. He trains with gsp but did not for this camp which i think cost him on the grappling end.

Hey Jukai, you're another one who needs Stats 101....

All champions use focus pads, ergo all who want to be champions can do so by using focus pads. :icon_conf

KarateStylist

P.S. It's not the dojo {he style} remember, it's the fighter.... :rolleyes:

This is not a statistics issue. This is a very basic logic fail on your part, KS.

Every professional fighter uses a specific method, so therefore that method is a good training method. Humans aren't lemmings; if the best are doing it, there is massive validity to it.

I used focus pads in both my Shotokan and Kyokushin dojos... this isn't an 'anti-karate' thing or whatever you're making it out to be.

This is not a statistics issue. This is a very basic logic fail on your part, KS.

Every professional fighter uses a specific method, so therefore that method is a good training method. Humans aren't lemmings; if the best are doing it, there is massive validity to it.

I used focus pads in both my Shotokan and Kyokushin dojos... this isn't an 'anti-karate' thing or whatever you're making it out to be.

I'm sure he spends his time step-side-kicking shields and jump kicking paddles. Anyways, who needs to spar when your gym has 20 wavemasters...

2XL Pro and Long Island Kung Fu: Pushed to the Brink! - YouTube

You guys still going? I see we will never find out where exactly TangSooDoStylist trains his deadly stuff. :icon_lol:

I think he missed his Philosophy 101 lecture on Aristotelian syllogistic. He is partially corrected that we attributing causation to focus mitt training, they could have no/small effect. However, I'll stick with the basic logic you presented and use focus mitts...

I think those, including "Ethan" who said that MMA & full contact were the test of karate.... they were right & WB flopped....

WB losing that fight had nothing to do with his stand up. He owned Brown in the stand up.

The wonderboy everyone saw was maybe 10% of what he really is. Im not making excuses for him but he was dragging ass in the second--a guy with almost 70 combined fights usually do not have cardio issue but it was probably a tough weight cut, remember he fought two months ago. WB lit up brown standing, no two ways about it, even being tired as fuck...brown even said after the fight in an interview he was knocked out twice...WB has two more fights lined up in the UFC so tune in, trust me this guy is good but he does need to take time to wrestle. He trains with gsp but did not for this camp which i think cost him on the grappling end.

The reason he was so gassed is he got grapple fucked by Brown. So he not only needs more technical ability in that area but also the conditioning. 70 plus stand up fights does not equate to grappling cardio.

Is this thread still going?? The fight was over weeks ago lol

1. I am hiding, from those who don't train properly. HIde, Hide, hide. There, that's different than 'snore'....

2. Well, let's be humble then.... What about
? WE had an aggressive, kickboxer testing for his black-belt when I joined. Had most of the school intimidated.... Said the same thing [as you] .... I wiped him out in the 1st Exchange. Was going to kick to send me backwards.... I stood still... He moved in to throw as quick R / L combo.... blocked & hit him twice before he could even think about combo step 2. Kept his hands up like a good boxer.... didn't protect him....

he was pissed for awhile.... got over it. Hasn't figured out why his full contact mentality didn't work or have me intimidated, not yet.... The guy never was able to land a hand on me.... I went to defense only for the remainder of the match....

3. Snore.....

Machida's next fight w Bader.... looking forward & rooting for lyoto as always...

KarateStylist

I really hope you're about 16 because otherwise, you're delusional​

No way Ethan wins this one, imo. He trains with focus mitts.

1. This is not a statistics issue. This is a very basic logic fail on your part, KS.

2. Every professional fighter uses a specific method, so therefore that method is a good training method. Humans aren't lemmings; if the best are doing it, there is massive validity to it.

3. I used focus pads in both my Shotokan and Kyokushin dojos... this isn't an 'anti-karate' thing or whatever you're making it out to be.

1. Either set of principles can be applied. A bjillion losers in MMA use the standard focus mitt training..... Ergo all losers use focus pads.... Your statement & criticisms are pure rhetoric....

2. See Point 1. If the worst are doing focus mitt drills, is there is massive invalidity to it...???

3. Yes, focus pads are standard fare @ many karate schools. I believe Kyokushinkai was among the 1st karate styles to adopt focus pads.... So keep using them....
I don't use focus pads & never will....

A competent instructor would approach the issue by addressing it how??? :icon_conf

Will be putting up a vid of Machida doing the same thing Thompson did pre-UFC 145 (where WB took a drubbing from a MMA journeyman (as one pre-eminent poster here, Ethan, put it.)).

Be happy Jukai :D Keep using focus pads..........

KarateStylist

Last edited:
Back