Wonderboy > machida

Machida is clearly the more accomplished fighter, that's for sure. And he has a really sweet KO reel - the way he caught Couture and Belfort with front kicks, the way he caught Bader rushing in and shut his lights out, the way he schooled (pun intended) Rich Franklin, and of course, the Rashad Face.

i'd watch machida over thompson anyday. machida is a more entertaining fighter and technically i think he is better in some aspects, produced some great fights over the years more than thompson for sure

Wonderboy's karate is at a higher level than Machida's. Machida was able to make his game work better in MMA. I dont see any reason to like one and bash the other. War Karate fighters!

Calling one greater than the other only suggests that one is more boring than the other.

Machida will go down as a better fighter since Thompson will likely never win anything

205 is a fairly barren wasteland of talent, save for a few guys at the absolute top of the division.

At 185 Machida has been getting wrecked fairly consistently when facing the elite.

Wonderboy fights in a division with a lot more depth and had two razor close fights with the champion. Jon Jones summarily dropped Machida's lifeless body to the canvas.

What are we even talking about?

I like WB, but never got how some said he is better than a guy who went 16-0 while winning and defending a championship.

Didn't I say above?

stock-vector-opposite-words-for-above-and-below-illustration-555475363.jpg

It´s like talking to a retard.

Crazy how much this fight resembled Shogun vs machida.
The judges got it right this time though.

It also resembled Shogun vs machida 2 with Till's knock down coming from the exact same counter that shoguns did.

205 is a fairly barren wasteland of talent, save for a few guys at the absolute top of the division.

At 185 Machida has been getting wrecked fairly consistently when facing the elite.

Wonderboy fights in a division with a lot more depth and had two razor close fights with the champion. Jon Jones summarily dropped Machida's lifeless body to the canvas.

What are we even talking about?
Machida went to MW when he was 35...

does wonderboy even have a straight front kick? it was there for him all night and he didn't take it. not even asking for the crane

Machida will go down as a better fighter since Thompson will likely never win anything
People shouldnt look at it that way. Its a different time,a different division.

People shouldnt look at it that way. Its a different time,a different division.

I think Machida is a better overall talent as well. So it’s not just the hardware that separates them to me. While Machidas karate was his only mastered art..at his peak his ability to shut down wrestlers. His ground game while not tops in the division was still a weapon. He has more great wins at LHW then Thompson has a WW. Then there is the hardware.

You can say don’t compare the classes but then the entire thread is pointless and Machida/Thompson shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence..which I wouldn’t disagree with

I think Machida is a better overall talent as well. So it’s not just the hardware that separates them to me. While Machidas karate was his only mastered art..at his peak his ability to shut down wrestlers. His ground game while not tops in the division was still a weapon. He has more great wins at LHW then Thompson has a WW. Then there is the hardware.

You can say don’t compare the classes but then the entire thread is pointless and Machida/Thompson shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence..which I wouldn’t disagree with
Ah i just like to watch the both of them. I really enjoy the similarities of their styles.

Wonderboy > machida

Wonderboy has no ground game. Machida does. There is no threat of a takedown vs WB. That is a major whole in his game.

If they fought, Machida would beat Wonderboy convincingly... Even today.

Machida went to MW when he was 35...

The average age is higher in the upper divisions, in fact the UFC heavyweight division has the oldest average age in the sport, including the top 10.

We're shuffling around the old farts of yesteryear at 185-205-265 because the UFC doesn't pay enough to attract young elite athletes that are physically big enough to play other sports.

In any event, the modern welterweight division has cartoonishly better depth and overall rounded skill compared to Machida-era light heavyweight. Its a joke once you get passed the top 5, especially back then.

Back