Wonderboy Delusional in MMA Hour Interview?

From Monday's MMA Hour:

Claims at first he didn't think Tyron deserved a 10-8 in the 4th because he finished the last minute on top and was "raining down punches" in his opinion.

LOL - Wonderboy almost died like 3 times in the round and was lightly flailing around in T-Wood's guard for around a minute, just PRAYING they wouldn't get stood up. Did literally 0 damage whatsoever, Tyron was gassed from going for the finish so chose to just stall and wait it out in a neutral position. IMO this is the definition of a 10-7 round, those are just never handed out because judges don't know how to score fights.

MEMBER BERRIES

http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/Tyron_Woodley_Drops_Stephen_Thompson_UFC_205/10003637
http://i.imgur.com/ZQE993f.jpg

Then claims that Tyron just "laid on him" in the first when Tyron outstuck him 50-1, cut his face in multiple places to the point where he was wiping blood off his face and didn't know where his corner was for 10 seconds....

MEMBER BERRIES

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/...age.jpg_gen/derivatives/display_960/image.jpg

-----

I'm not a T-Wood nuthugger (just recently became a fan during the build-up to UFC 205 because he was getting so much unwarranted hate); I scored the first fight a draw because Unified Rules suck, under any other scoring method Woodley is the clear victor but Unified Rules reward point fighting.

Just rubs me the wrong way how through the entire interview Wonderboy plays it off that T-Wood is scared of him and didn't really hurt him repeatedly in the first fight. I can see why T-Wood gets hated on (arrogance/racism claims to explain unpopularity) but don't get the Wonderboy love when he says shit like this that is so blatantly untrue.

I thought the fight was a draw under any scoring system. The first was clearly woodleys but I'm not going to give him a fight because of the first and almost finishing in the fourth. The rest of the fight he was getting hit and not doing much.

From Monday's MMA Hour:

Claims at first he didn't think Tyron deserved a 10-8 in the 4th because he finished the last minute on top and was "raining down punches" in his opinion.

LOL - Wonderboy almost died like 3 times in the round and was lightly flailing around in T-Wood's guard for around a minute, just PRAYING they wouldn't get stood up. Did literally 0 damage whatsoever, Tyron was gassed from going for the finish so chose to just stall and wait it out in a neutral position. IMO this is the definition of a 10-7 round, those are just never handed out because judges don't know how to score fights.

MEMBER BERRIES

http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/Tyron_Woodley_Drops_Stephen_Thompson_UFC_205/10003637

Then claims that Tyron just "laid on him" in the first when Tyron outstuck him 50-1, cut his face in multiple places to the point where he was wiping blood off his face and didn't know where his corner was for 10 seconds....

MEMBER BERRIES

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/...age.jpg_gen/derivatives/display_960/image.jpg

-----

I'm not a T-Wood nuthugger (just recently became a fan during the build-up to UFC 205 because he was getting so much unwarranted hate); I scored the first fight a draw because Unified Rules suck, under any other scoring method Woodley is the clear victor but Unified Rules reward point fighting.

Just rubs me the wrong way how through the entire interview Wonderboy plays it off that T-Wood is scared of him and didn't really hurt him repeatedly in the first fight. I can see why T-Wood gets hated on (arrogance/racism claims to explain unpopularity) but don't get the Wonderboy love when he says shit like this that is so blatantly untrue.

I didn't see the MMA hour interview, but it sounds very cringey if true <6>

I am a Wonderboy fan, but I was disappointed with his performance at UFC 205, and came away feeling more impressed with Woodley, TBH.

Well, WB has got another shot, and I hope he does better with it ...

From Monday's MMA Hour:

MEMBER BERRIES

MEMBER BERRIES

-----

Just rewatched Thompson won rounds 2 ,3 and then round 4 so many refs would have stopped the fight Thompson was as Joe said out on his feet. Rogan was so biased against Woodley he was talking about Wonderyboy's resilience so much. But then Wonderoboy won round 5...Woodley went back tentative. I agree with the draw. woodley rd.1 and rd4 10/8 Wonderboy 2, 3 and 5. If Wonderboy is saying he wasn't hurt he is delusional fights have been stopped for less just continual damge two huge knockdowns, the knees, just blasting him in the face...

I thought the fight was a draw under any scoring system. The first was clearly woodleys but I'm not going to give him a fight because of the first and almost finishing in the fourth. The rest of the fight he was getting hit and not doing much.
exactly rd 1 and rd 4 was a 10/8

It makes no sense to say it would be a draw under any scoring system - the only way you can justify Wonderboy winning is if you think the Unified Rules and how it is currently being applied is the best way to score a fight. I agree that under the Unified Rules it's a draw, but the Unified Rules and the current scoring system aren't the best way to a score a fight.

Pride Rules (Damage & Closer to Finishing the Fight) = Woodley Wins

If you use the half point system I think you'd give Woodley the extra half point for the first or you wouldn't give Wonderboy three rounds that were 10-9 (at least one of them would be 10-9.5, if not two, the second and fourth - feels like the 5th was a clear 10-9 for Wonderboy).

Most of us feel like he should "win the fight" because a fight is ultimately about which guy you rather would have been - most of us would've prefer to have not been the guy that got taken down and sliced up, then repeatedly flat-lined until having his head caught in a death-vice for like a minute. You know as opposed to the guy that got slightly out-worked and pointed at times without ever being clearly hurt or dominated in any way?

That's why Woodley thinks he won the fight, he beat the shit out of this guy.

Curious about your opinion. The newer rules seek to reward damage more and seem to create an easier path to 10-8 rounds.

With Woodley doing the most damage in the fight, why do you think the newer rules wouldn't favor his performance?

I also agree, the rematch may turn out very differently. I wouldn't bet on it, but I've seen enough MMA to acknowledge as much.

Because fights are still being judged round to round... The newer rules may have justified giving Woodley a 10-8 for the first round (which would have just slightly awarded him the victory), but I'm not sure. Round 4 was a 10-8 round already. The other rounds were all Wonderboy.

A lot of the Woodley hate is based around this delusion that he can pick his opponents.

Hus nuttg
From Monday's MMA Hour:

MEMBER BERRIES

MEMBER BERRIES

-----

His nutthugger fans think otherwise. Wb was destroyed. He is gifted a rematch.

Because fights are still being judged round to round... The newer rules may have justified giving Woodley a 10-8 for the first round (which would have just slightly awarded him the victory), but I'm not sure. Round 4 was a 10-8 round already. The other rounds were all Wonderboy.

Do you think it's fair that in rounds where Woodley beats down WB and does tremendous damage he gets a 10/9 and a 10/8 and the two rounds that are super-close (2 and 3) get to be 10/9? (I'd say WB gets the 10/9 clearly in the 5th)

To me that's the problem with the scoring system - in a 5 round fight where you win 2 incredibly dominant rounds but lose 3 incredibly close rounds you are more likely to lose or draw then win. Same thing in a 3 round fight - you win 1 incredibly dominant round but lose 2 incredibly close rounds and you again are more likely to lose or draw then win.

The scoring system is actually PUNISHING people who go for the finish and look to land with power and do damage; if you hurt your opponent but don't get the finish then you don't really get the fair reward in the scoring system for various reasons and it unfairly costs you.

He's selling the rematch, its not like he said that in the post fight interview

The most revealing thing about the interview with Helwani was that Wonderboy doesn't know how to do simple math. He says he thought he won the fight overall. Yet went on to explain the rounds he and Woodley won. He says he thought he won rounds 2, 3 and 5. Then gave Woodley round 1 and 4, didn't think round 4 was a 10-8 (which is fucking stupid), but he conceded that it could have been a 10-8.

He didn't realize that by giving Woodley round 1 and round 4 being a 10-8, that in fact makes the fight a draw. Helwani had to correct him on it, lol. Either way it doesn't matter because they're gonna fight again. Hopefully the rematch is decisive.

Do you think it's fair that in rounds where Woodley beats down WB and does tremendous damage he gets a 10/9 and a 10/8 and the two rounds that are super-close (2 and 3) get to be 10/9? (I'd say WB gets the 10/9 clearly in the 5th)

To me that's the problem with the scoring system - in a 5 round fight where you win 2 incredibly dominant rounds but lose 3 incredibly close rounds you are more likely to lose or draw then win. Same thing in a 3 round fight - you win 1 incredibly dominant round but lose 2 incredibly close rounds and you again are more likely to lose or draw then win.

The scoring system is actually PUNISHING people who go for the finish and look to land with power and do damage; if you hurt your opponent but don't get the finish then you don't really get the fair reward in the scoring system for various reasons and it unfairly costs you.

That's why I advocate a change in the way fights are scored. Should be more like old Pride rules - Who did the most damage and landed the most shots (particuarly significant shots) throughout the whole fight should be declared the winner. By that criteria, Woodley definitely should have won.

But things being what they are, I don't feel a Draw was unfair under the present scoring system, so Wonderboy is right to be granted a rematch. I can see it both ways, though.

All fighters say dumb shit to build up a rematch.

Atleast wonderboy isn't calling woodley fans white-hating black panthers and crying racism like woodley is.

Caling Wonderboy fans kkk member was messed up as hell imo. What a dumbass
What?
He did that?

Wonderboy made a legit Shadface in that 4th round

Woodley gets so much hate its ridiculous, I get he says some stupid stuff but the amount of hate he gets is unwarranted

Considering when Gastelum came in overweight and got fined 20% Woodley gave it back to him

How many fighters have done that? Never heard of anyone else doing it. I think that shows what kind of person he is really.
I really want to be a Woodley fan, I really do. He seems like a reasonable, intelligent, kind man. The problem is, the racist shit - I can't abide racism from anyone, black, white or any other race.

Blah blah blah Woodley tried is hardest to duck the real contenders for money fights.

When I saw it, I had it 47-46 for Woodley
R1: 10-8 Woodley (outstriking him 50-1 and cutting him)
R2: 10-9 WB
R3: 10-9 WB
R4: 10-8 Woodley (obvious)
R5: 10-9 WB

But that's like, my opinion, man

Wonderboy gets love because most MMA fans are dorks who cream themselves over "exotic" or flashy styles of fighting and can't appreciate a top tier meat & potatoes wrestler/boxer who gets shit done. They look at Thomson and think that maybe, just maybe their stripmall 3 week black belt in tkd might just be legit after all.

He didn't seem to understand that winning 3 rounds and losing one of the other two 10-8 makes a draw.

From Monday's MMA Hour:

MEMBER BERRIES

MEMBER BERRIES

-----

I like Wonderboy, cant stand T-Wood, but that was a clear 10-8 round. T-Wood got the better of him in that fight, and it's up to Wonderboy to try and change that dynamic in the rematch.

Back