Women/non-male faculty in Canadian universities are getting raises just for being women/non-male

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
The latest:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/university-guelph-female-faculty-1.4713063

All female faculty get raises at University of Guelph
The Canadian Press · Posted: Jun 19, 2018 3:57 PM ET | Last Updated: June 19
university-of-guelph.jpg

All full-time female faculty members at the University of Guelph will be getting a raise after a salary review found they were being paid less than their male colleagues. (University of Guelph)
All full-time female faculty members at the University of Guelph will be getting a raise after a salary review found they were being paid less than their male colleagues.

University provost Charlotte Yates says the decision comes after crunching the numbers gathered through a review launched last year.

The university will give a $2,050 raise to each faculty member who identifies as female or non-male. That represents more than 300 tenured, tenure-track and faculty on contract.

Yates says it's important for her that people who do the same job are paid equitably and she's excited to make the correction.

Some previous examples:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitc...niversity-gender-wage-gap-pay-raise-1.4108256
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitc...rloo-female-faculty-wage-gap-raises-1.3711694

Complete blanket raise for all women/non-male staff at University of Guelph after 'crunching numbers'.

If we are to believe this is actually fair, then we can only assume that every single male faculty member makes more than every single female/non-male in the faculty for the same amount of work. Otherwise it would mean you are paying a woman more than a man for the same position, which is illegal. Somehow I find that very hard to believe.

It's also incredibly idiotic at a university faculty level, where the difference between the quality of teachers could be night and day, so some making more than others is deserved. Their schedules can also vary greatly, some terms a professor might have 3 classes and another they might have one.

Also if every single woman was across the board being paid less, then they should be suing the universities, not just accepting a raise. That's illegal in Ontario (where these universities are). My guess is that they don't want people inspecting these claims too closely.

The latest:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/university-guelph-female-faculty-1.4713063

Some previous examples:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitc...niversity-gender-wage-gap-pay-raise-1.4108256
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitc...rloo-female-faculty-wage-gap-raises-1.3711694

Complete blanket raise for all women/non-male staff at University of Guelph after 'crunching numbers'.

If we are to believe this is actually fair, then we can only assume that every single male faculty member makes more than every single female/non-male in the faculty for the same amount of work. Somehow I find that very hard to believe.

It's also incredibly idiotic at a university faculty level, where the difference between the quality of teachers could be night and day, so some making more than others is deserved. Their schedules can also vary greatly, some terms a professor might have 3 classes and another they might have one.

Also if every single woman was across the board being paid less, then they should be suing the universities, not just accepting a raise. That's illegal in Ontario (where these universities are). My guess is that they don't want people inspecting these claims too closely.
All full-time female faculty members at the University of Guelph will be getting a raise after a salary review found they were being paid less than their male colleagues.

read the fucking article lol.... its literally the first sentence

read the fucking article lol.... its literally the first sentence
Read my post douchebag. This makes the assumption that every single female faculty makes less than every single male faculty member, otherwise the male faculty members who get paid less would be getting completely fucked.

If you are willing to say that every single female/non-male (lol) faculty member makes $2000+ less than every single male faculty member then, and only then would this be a fair policy. However I highly doubt that's the case. Also if that were the case, they would be suing the universities for discrimination, as that is illegal. For some reason though they aren't, I wonder why...

Read my post douchebag. This makes the assumption that every single female faculty makes less than every single male faculty member, otherwise the male faculty members who get paid less would be getting completely fucked.

If you are willing to say that every single female/non-male (lol) faculty member makes $2000+ less than every single male faculty member then, and only then would this be a fair policy. However I highly doubt that's the case. Also if that were the case, they would be suing the universities for discrimination, as that is illegal. For some reason though they aren't, I wonder why...
do you know for a fact that they werent? they call it a "correction" in the article, so until you can prove that this is discriminatory in some way just stop whining

do you know for a fact that they werent? they call it a "correction" in the article, so until you can prove that this is discriminatory in some way just stop whining
If you really think every single woman/non-male faculty member makes less than every single male faculty member than I have a couple of bridges to sell you.

Also weird that they are all paid the exact same amount less. If they crunched the numbers you figure they would probably know how much less each woman would make on average compared to men. So why would all these raises be equal?

If you really think every single woman/non-male faculty member makes less than every single male faculty member than I have a couple of bridges to sell you.

Also weird that they are all paid the exact same amount less. If they crunched the numbers you figure they would probably know how much less each woman would make on average compared to men. So why would all these raises be equal?
I tend to trust the University that held the review of its salaries more than some douche on sherdog

Tax payers are funding this. What a trash society we live in.

I tend to trust the University that held the review of its salaries more than some douche on sherdog
By the same logic we could just trust every company and say that they would never pay woman less than men. I mean, they do review their employees' salaries every year, right? No investigations required, ever.

By the same logic we could just trust every company and say that they would never pay woman less than men. I mean, they do review their salaries every year, right?
well again, Id trust those companies if they came to that conclusion more than I would trust some douche on sherdog.... what are you not understanding about my point?

well again, Id trust those companies if they came to that conclusion more than I would trust some douche on sherdog.... what are you not understanding about my point?
Alright, so according to Mayhem, there's no need to ever critically think about anything when a company could do it for us. Always trust companies to do the right thing, especially when we are talking about money.

Just wanted to flush out your opinion, you don't have to reply to this thread anymore.

Alright, so according to Mayhem, there's no need to ever critically think about anything when a company could do it for us. Always trust companies to do the right thing, especially when we are talking about money.

Just wanted to flush out your opinion, you don't have to reply to this thread anymore.
no... according to Mayhem you should not create conspiracies unless you have at least some evidence of wrong doing

How dare these mother fuckers be self sufficient!

Gotdammit

What sort of shitty fly by night university dosent have salary schedules that are adhered to?

I’ve worked at a major university and you could just look online and know what people were making, very clear layout of what your qualifications will get you on salary.

I’m pretty much always ready to trust other sources other than sherdog douches....but you talk shit when I do it lol.

I’m pretty much always ready to trust other sources other than sherdog douches....but you talk shit when I do it lol.
yeah, but Im a bit of a cunt lol

How do you calculate the pay gap of people who don't identify as their biological sex? Never heard of anyone having to post their gender to obtain a university job -- so if androgynous Joe doesn't feel like he's a dude, it somehow got paid 2k less?

Seriously, that article was like 30 words long with no methodology of how "they crunched the numbers"

It specifically says that the raise is for those that don’t “identity” as male. Time for male faculty members to declare they don’t identify as male, get some of that sweet $2000 raise.

Back