Woman fighters and the arm bar.

chefdiablo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I notice that women get caught in the arm bar frequently.

I have not followed Woman's MMA very much and after watching the show I saw it a few times amongst the fights we saw and the high lights here and there.

Is there something to this?
Will it be a focus on the show especially with Rhonda as a coach?

I think it's their grip control when they defend.

It`s because they all knew Rondy Rousey would be there. So they drilled arm bars like crazy.

Does that mean Bendo has a little bitch in him? Relax, I'm not bashing, just ribbing.

Arms flailing to defend will do that

Eh. There was like two armbars for women and one for men on TUF.

What-You-Talkin-Bout-Willis.jpg

Very few women seem particularly advanced in any particular art. Make no mistake, they go out and fight like hell, but they seem like the equivalent of someone who has been taking classes for a year, learning in a slow controlled environment, who was finally told to go all out and fight for their lives. Yes they "know" the aspects of fighting, but they aren't very practiced with them in a full out fight.

That's why ronda stands out. She has the grace and finesse of a PRO fighter. Thank her Judo for that.

Maybe it has something to do with them having little upper body strength and a lot of hip strength.

Wider hips + more flexible + longer legs = More armbars and triangles.

Women have less relative arm strength. Their legs and torsos are stronger relative to their arms, which makes the arm bar and effective attack.

Lack of skill. It is something you see a lot among men beginners also at small local show low level fights/amateur fights.

In the early days of the UFC the wrestlers got caught with arm bars because they didn't have the experience defending against them. Randy was arm barred by Inoue (outside of the UFC), Frank Shamrock arm barred Jackson (Olympic Gold Medalist.) The list is long.

When Royce triangled Dan Severn, Dan didn't even know what a triangle was.

If you watch Cage Warriors and other British local MMA shows, KSW, M-1, MFC, smaller US shows, etc you will also see many more armbars in mens MMA then you will find in UFC. The fighters aren't as skilled, haven't trained as long, etc..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back