Woman arrested for saving pets from hurricane without a permit

Jorge Luis Borges

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...elping-animals-survive-florence/507-597325667

Apparently this lady was collecting animals who had been abandoned by their owners when they evacuated due to the hurricane and administering medicine to them without a veterinary license.

She was approached by a county animal control official and told she had to surrender the animals or face arrest, She surrendered them. Several days later she was arrested anyway.

I think the question I have is why the officials involved cannot understand that some discernment is needed to administer laws justly. There are some circumstances where the following the letter of the law leads to an unjust outcome. I think administering veterinary care to animals during a hurricane would be an obvious example of such a circumstance.

I also think officials involved should be moderately punished for lack of judgment. People like this shouldn't wield power over others.

Thoughts?

The states gotta get paid too, inga. Sorry. Justified shoot.

<{hfved}>

We can't have dangerous criminals like her on the street saving abandoned animals from hurricanes. She could harm them if she hasn't paid fee after fee for licensing and permits. They were clearly much safer roaming around the hurricane aftermath, starving and catching diseases. Luckily, animal control stepped in to put the animals in a wood chipper if they can't find the owners before this lady could do any more damage sheltering them.

Think about all those terrible people taking their private boats out during harvey to rescue stranded people. How many of them had permits to rescue people? Yet they are walking around free today. It makes me sick.

I am wondering why people would leave their pets behind like this?
I mean this wasn't a bush fire or anything that can unfold in minutes and you have to get your ass out.
Plenty of time to plan to take your pets with you.

Shes just letting her cat lady instinct take control of her.

Ban permits.

If it saves one life.....
Seems like many required permits are there to increase gov revenue and/or to protect established businesses from competition. Many do not offer much benefit to the public.

Seems like many required permits are there to increase gov revenue and/or to protect established businesses from competition. Many do not offer much benefit to the public.

I'm sure that's mostly true. The important stuff tends to be a license.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...elping-animals-survive-florence/507-597325667

Apparently this lady was collecting animals who had been abandoned by their owners when they evacuated due to the hurricane and administering medicine to them without a veterinary license.

She was approached by a county animal control official and told she had to surrender the animals or face arrest, She surrendered them. Several days later she was arrested anyway.

I think the question I have is why the officials involved cannot understand that some discernment is needed to administer laws justly. There are some circumstances where the following the letter of the law leads to an unjust outcome. I think administering veterinary care to animals during a hurricane would be an obvious example of such a circumstance.

I also think officials involved should be moderately punished for lack of judgment. People like this shouldn't wield power over others.

Thoughts?

Seems pretty ridiculous to me . . . grant her some leniency and move on.

Did they also go after the pet owners for animal neglect?

I'm usually in the law's corner on these but.

She gave them up to the proper authorities, she was using OTC antibiotics. Sure she can be charged but I have the feeling negative publicity will save her, as it ought to.

Good intention should count for something.

great example of over-governing.

The people who abandoned their animals should be arrested.

If you are will to abandon you pet, you shouldnt have a pet. I hope they drop the charges.

I'm pretty sure few people make the conscious decision to leave Sparky behind, and those that do likely don't do it out of malice. I'm thinking pets get lost in the commotion a lot of times.

I'm pretty sure few people make the conscious decision to leave Sparky behind, and those that do likely don't do it out of malice. I'm thinking pets get lost in the commotion a lot of times.
I watched quite a few videos of dogs being saved from flooding that were caged up. Seems like pretty shitty people to me. Probably shouldn't have pets if you can't take care of them.

I watched quite a few videos of dogs being saved from flooding that were caged up. Seems like pretty shitty people to me. Probably shouldn't have pets if you can't take care of them.

Yeah, that's awful.

Wow, this is just wow...

I hope she gets a sane judge.

Also I think sometimes they’re left behind because the shelter won’t take them or something?

This.

Respect to her for at least trying to save some abandoned animals. Fuck the goofs who arrested her.

This reminds me of people who try to bust kids for having a lemonade stand. Cunts.

What bothers me the most is how laws are not applied evenly in Los Angeles. The city will bring the hammer of god down on law abiding tax payers over the most mundane bullshit, but will let illegal aliens do whatever they want with ZERO consequence.

I know someone who owns a legal and certified food truck. The law and inspectors are up his ass as far as they can be. But illegals are free to sell their roasted corn and chopped fruits without any permits. Why?

If you buy an expensive dish washer that doesn't need an air gap opening to your sink? Well the city will make you drill a hole in your granite and install an air gap thing anyway. It doesn't matter if you provide them with the literature from the manufacturer that explains that the dishwasher doesn't need the air gap. They wont let you live in your home and give you an approval on your final inspection unless you destroy your countertops for something that IS NOT NEEDED for nice dishwashers.

But they pass laws to protect illegal aliens and make sure to not follow federal law. It is weird.

Back