"Wolf tickets" referenced during NBA Playoffs

TIL, the TS is (1) under 30yo and (2) not black.

woof tickets is an old ass phrase.

brian-williams-war-stories-i-know-i-was-there-when-it-happened.jpg

TS....

The day you realized you are a true follower with no independent thought.

I'm from the hood. Term is also used as Wolf Cookies meaning a bitch ass is talking mad shit but probably ain't really about it.

I'm from the hood. Term is also used as Wolf Cookies meaning a bitch ass is talking mad shit but probably ain't really about it.

Damn. I felt like a gangster just reading this post out loud. thanks fam

Lol at the TS who thought that the word was coined by Nick Diaz.

Wolf ticket is the only shot Nick ever landed on GSP.

wait till you discover that there isn't actually anything original about the 'stockton slap', and they are just slapping like bitches during a fight
Correction: they are slapping bitches during a fight.

Source: Conor got the shit slapped out of him

Slang is one of my hobbies. It is interesting that here in the US, from the mid-to-late 1800s onward, I determined most slang could be categorized as originating from black musicians (50%), black criminals, hipsters, and hustlers (25%), and itinerant whites of "dubious" social standing (original hipsters/Beats, hoboes, tramps, con artists, pro gamblers, criminals, carnies/circus folk, and to a degree, non-career military folk) (25%).

After 1980 or so, you got the percentages changed, as some of the old talk from the latter category was replaced with "white" subculture/counterculture slangs (eg. skateboards/surfing/BMX, hacking/computing, etc.).

"Drop it like it's hot"
Pimp talk. The whole phrase is "Drop my money like it's hot, so I can pick it up, like it's not." or so.

"The game is to be sold, not told"
Pimp talk

When I was a kid it was woof tickets, as in all bark and no bite. The boy who cried wolf tickets doesn't sound right, sounds like someone got it wrong and it spread, or maybe regional?

When I was a kid it was woof tickets, as in all bark and no bite. The boy who cried wolf tickets doesn't sound right, sounds like someone got it wrong and it spread, or maybe regional?

I agree with you.

Like people saying "Word is born" when it is "Word is BOND" and other things.

I'm sorry you assumed that someone came up with that on the spot. I've never heard it before Nick said it but people normally don't just coin a vague phrase like that without having to explain it

"The phrase "wolf ticket" is the result of a misunderstood African-American slang expression for the practice of verbal intimidation, "sellin' woof tickets," that was incorrectly transposed by whites. Over time, the corrupted nomenclature has become accepted terminology.

"Woofing," or "woofin'," like "signifyin'" and "talkin' trash," is part of the African-American oral tradition. The term is derived from the onomatopoeic expression of the sound of, for instance, a junkyard dog barking to ward off potential intruders."

This is where "wolf tickets" came from, not sure where or when that shit started though it def wasn't Diaz lol.

Back