WME Paid $4Billion For 3 fighters, Jones's Net Value Loss for the UFC is $1.33Billion Dollars

what is your knowledge of business? buy hot pockets and pop tarts doesnt count as investing
I can see into the future and predict

UFC is done by 2022
In the gutter

The price was $3.95b
Someone reported $4.2b but was incorrect

WME spearheaded the deal but there are a lot of other owner (not include the Hollywood stars that invested).
WME & a Chinese company were going to buy it together, but that company decided to bid on their own, so that is when WME took out a loan .

At the time of the sale, WME did not own 51%. as of two-three months ago they did not.
But SLP & other investors re-invested $1.1b into WME because WME went up almost 15% in a year.
Part of the allocation was to fund WME buying out enough partners that they control 51%.

The supposed urgency is due to the fox negotiations & that a deal is rumored to be close or agreed to.
If WME owns more shares at the time of the announcement, they will profit even more
Also controlling 51% might be a sign of going public in the future as well, but maybe someone more versed in that can speak on it ( @Trojanlegal ?)

Regarding the debt,
UFC is not WME.
UFC yearly profits does not have any bearing on what & how WME/others paid for it.
If UFC were to be sold today, it would be sold at a price due to how UFC performs, not how the owners bought it.

WME can break even on UFC & still be making money, because UFC helped WME's over-all value as a company.
the same way WME helps SLP's.

Most people don't get that.

I hope that explains things better.

*edit: They received $1.1b not $2,2b ... i have no idea why I typed that ITT. My apology

Naturally, I am not aware of WME’s internal strategy, but I can provide a summary of an initial public offering (IPO). (I am not a corporate lawyer, so any attorney with corporate experience is more than welcomes to supplement my summary.) An IPO is the first sale of stock by a corporate entity. An IPO can be used to generate capital needed for future growth or pay off existing debt. Further, an IPO may be used by the owners or founder as an exit strategy or to obtain cash from the sell. If the UFC goes public in the future, it is important to know that public companies face the pressure of the market, which may cause the UFC to focus more on short-term results (i.e., big money fights) rather than long-term strategic growth.

OH NO
Be wary of who you get info from on here lol

:)

Apparently I misunderstood what the buying of their last shares implied. But whatever I had only glanced at it and saw 4billions something or other which was surprising now I see why

Still waiting on your source that UFC only made 10 million off the mayweather macgregor fight OP.
wme might have made 10, tops. conor did not get more than 20 gross

I'm still waiting on troll TS to dig up a source saying the ufc only got 10 million for the Macgregor Mayweather fight. How much of a cut the ufc would get was really the biggest hurdle in making it happen from what heard.

But TS continues to think they'd allow their biggest draw to skip all of 2017 for only 10 million dollars.

lets see a source koclem

Naturally, I am not aware of WME’s internal strategy, but I can provide a summary of an initial public offering (IPO). (I am not a corporate lawyer, so any attorney with corporate experience is more than welcomes to supplement my summary.) An IPO is the first sale of stock by a corporate entity. An IPO can be used to generate capital needed for future growth or pay off existing debt. Further, an IPO may be used by the owners or founder as an exit strategy or to obtain cash from the sell. If the UFC goes public in the future, it is important to know that public companies face the pressure of the market, which may cause the UFC to focus more on short-term results (i.e., big money fights) rather than long-term strategic growth.

Of course.
My query is if controlling 51% is an important part BEFORE going public.
There seems to be a rush for WME to get there

Still waiting on your source that UFC only made 10 million off the mayweather macgregor fight OP.

I'm still waiting on troll TS to dig up a source saying the ufc only got 10 million for the Macgregor Mayweather fight. How much of a cut the ufc would get was really the biggest hurdle in making it happen from what heard.

But TS continues to think they'd allow their biggest draw to skip all of 2017 for only 10 million dollars.

lets see a source koclem
lol like they had a choice about conor fighting mayweather, the financials for WME dictated it needed to happen, dummy

Hehe dude, they bought the remainder shares at a valuation over 4 bil, not for another 4 bil... come on now

What does that mean exactly, bought at a valuation of 4 billion, I have a very basic understanding of business/financial knowledge but some things I just haven't put the effort into researching or looking up the definition for.. not really an interesting topic for me. :p

lol like they had a choice about conor fighting mayweather, the financials for WME dictated it needed to happen, dummy

Unless you're on the board at WME, i'd like you to source that please.

Insulting each other isn't a very productive way to sway minds in a debate folks

@Vicky
Join in
You are always in these financials threads.
Let's see what you have to say - even if it disagrees with me

lol

I haven't caught up on this thread but it seems like a troll thread with a few people (you and a few others) who actually know what they are talking about.

I don't think Jones creates a net value loss for the UFC of 1.33 billion dollars. I don't even think Jones is that big of a draw outside his rivalry with DC. Their story was what made the fight as big or popular as it was. Stories can be made....just look at Conor and to a lesser extent Lee/Chiesa, etc. A lot of manufactured or exaggerated hype. I'm ok with that as long as it doesn't get to WWE level fakeness. Anyway, hype can be created. There is a movie called "Dis[honesty]" (I think that is the name) and one of the examples they show is of this guy who created hype for a movie he was making and the hype got out of control (I'll have to google it for more details because I forgot the specifics).

I think the executives at WME know what they are doing. It's all about profit and to think they they are investing billions just for a couple athletes is illogical imo. It is for the brand and the entire talent pool. All these claims of the UFC dying is just ridiculous imo and maybe bitter fans who are nostalgic for the "old days". I also wonder if WME/UFC is going to try to tap into the Indian market. That is a huge continent with over a billion people. Granted, not everyone in India will watch but it is still a huge market and I bet there is a demand (if not then one can be created). I'm not a business person but I think I have some common sense (sometimes, lol). I stay out of these discussions because I don't have a business background and don't have numbers/sources to back up my claims. However I am interested in these discussions and tend to like posts that make sense to me.

Any thoughts on the recent acquisition of a fighter with ties to India and the potential market/profit to be made there?

Those Hollywood idiots got hustled by a couple of Las Vegas sharks. Fertittas took em for everything they had! HAHAHAHAHA I hope UFC folds!

What does that mean exactly, bought at a valuation of 4 billion, I have a very basic understanding of business/financial knowledge but some things I just haven't put the effort into researching or looking up the definition for.. not really an interesting topic for me. :p
It means there were some remainder shares that they bought, and the price of the shares reflected a UFC value over 4 billion still, but it may have just been a remaining 10% shares or something, so ~400m, know what i mean? (i dont know actual %). The important thing to note is that wme is still valuing the UFC over 4 bil at this point in time..

It means there were some remainder shares that they bought, and the price of the shares reflected a UFC value over 4 billion still, but it may have just been a remaining 10% shares or something, so ~400m, know what i mean? (i dont know actual %). The important thing to note is that wme is still valuing the UFC over 4 bil at this point in time..

Oh kay. So the value can shift up or down in the future so depending on when those shares were bought and sold the price would be 10% of that valuation. Gotcha

I guess so. Still though, lets see your source for the 10m smart guy.

10mil for MayMac sounds incredibly unrealistic.

I have no idea what the numbers would be, but it's a lot higher than that. Just going on gut instinct.

I haven't caught up on this thread but it seems like a troll thread with a few people (you and a few others) who actually know what they are talking about.

I don't think Jones creates a net value loss for the UFC of 1.33 billion dollars. I don't even think Jones is that big of a draw outside his rivalry with DC. Their story was what made the fight as big or popular as it was. Stories can be made....just look at Conor and to a lesser extent Lee/Chiesa, etc. A lot of manufactured or exaggerated hype. I'm ok with that as long as it doesn't get to WWE level fakeness. Anyway, hype can be created. There is a movie called "Dis[honesty]" (I think that is the name) and one of the examples they show is of this guy who created hype for a movie he was making and the hype got out of control (I'll have to google it for more details because I forgot the specifics).

I think the executives at WME know what they are doing. It's all about profit and to think they they are investing billions just for a couple athletes is illogical imo. It is for the brand and the entire talent pool. All these claims of the UFC dying is just ridiculous imo and maybe bitter fans who are nostalgic for the "old days". I also wonder if WME/UFC is going to try to tap into the Indian market. That is a huge continent with over a billion people. Granted, not everyone in India will watch but it is still a huge market and I bet there is a demand (if not then one can be created). I'm not a business person but I think I have some common sense (sometimes, lol). I stay out of these discussions because I don't have a business background and don't have numbers/sources to back up my claims. However I am interested in these discussions and tend to like posts that make sense to me.

Any thoughts on the recent acquisition of a fighter with ties to India and the potential market/profit to be made there?

Good addition to the thread & thank you for the comment.
Jump in & ask any questions. That is the fun of it ;)
You seem to have a grasp on who might or might not know WTF they are talking about!

India is a tough market.
There is a lot of huge money there & a lot of people without money
Unless what I read is incorrect, it seems there is very little middle-class there.

WWE has been trying to monetize the market for a decade & haven't.
They even have an Indian champ (born & raised in Canada lol) who is horrendous & killing business stateside.

I think UFC's approach since doing a Dubai show & giving 10% of the company way to do so, shows the market is not a guarantee

Oh kay. So the value can shift up or down in the future so depending on when those shares were bought and sold the price would be 10% of that valuation. Gotcha

Ex:
When WME & crew bought UFC. DW bought back in out of his earnings as an owner (either 6-7%).
Odds are Lorenzo & Frank did the same at their minority stake.
Same with Dubai

Now that they are looking to buy out minority owners, the cost is what they are valued at now & that is rumored to be close to $5b

Back