Wladimir Klitschko's chin.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Now that Wlad is retired, how was his chin? Was it really as bad as people say? Sure he was knocked down a lot of times, and stopped 4 times, but in one of his losses, he was exhausted. You don't take punches as well when you're tired.

Wlad klitschko will never get credit for this but I’ll say it again anyway. If he gets dropped his recovery is awful. As someone who does the same, and given I’m shit compared to him, he must find it very frustrating that he has the size power and attributes to make it work, but his recovery stops that. If you’re on your feet at 10 and look like you snorted the pile of coke on tony Montana’s desk, downed a bottle of jäger and have a case of vertigo you have to go back into your shell. His chin let him down.

Decent! Not particularly durable but not nearly as bad as some make out. His defence and use of his natural physical attributes meant he didn’t take many shots

below average but not glass. his style of leaning on people protected him.

His chin wasn't very good, but I think there's definitely some other factors that we need to add in. He's a giant guy, it takes some time to get up when you're 6'6" 245 or whatever, and you get dropped hard. I think his earlier losses were more due to him being gassed and not being able to rely on the physical skills he called on for most of his defense, as mentioned earlier itt.

The guy didnt have a foreman kind of chin but I dont think it was as bad as a lot of people say. He did a pretty good job coming back after joshua knocked him down.

it wasn't anywhere near as god like as his brothers and i think that was the reason people always enjoyed watching vitali more than him, he always had to be conscious of it

Roy Jones did commentary once and said it's not as much his chin as it is his heart.

I agree, it's psychological.

Wladimir is not an animal...he's a civilzed, cultivated, polite human ...if he wasn't, he would've punched Shannon Briggs teeth out a long time ago. He would've taken Chisora's head off when he spit in his face.

Vitali on the other hand, I think he'd be willing to kill another human if it came down to it, just like Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson.

I'm just speculating though, I have no scientific evidence whatsoever. Maybe there is a physiological explanation for great boxers with weak chins like Wladimir, Ken Norton, Amir Khan.

I'm just speculating though, I have no scientific evidence whatsoever. Maybe there is a physiological explanation for great boxers with weak chins like Wladimir, Ken Norton, Amir Khan.
Am I allowed to say that on no planet is amid khan great?

Wlads chin is not as bad as people make it out to be. He took some bombs in the Joshua fight and kept coming. His losses to Puritty and Brewster were due to stamina issues. Only time his chin failed him was in the Corrie Sanders fight, and he looked lost as to how you defend against a southpaw. Even then, he got up a few times, and Sanders was a killer with the straight left.

Underrated chin, kind of like Jerôme Le Banner's in K-1. People confuse having a weak chin and getting hit on the button because of a reckless style - ie Wlad's pre-Stewart style. His chin wasn't made of cast iron, but it was OK in my book.

Before Manny: Gets hurt, refused to hold, gets hit again, gets KDed or KOed.

With Manny: Gets hurt, grabs, waits until cobwebs are cleared, wins.

After Manny: Becomes John Ruiz

Back