Wizard of Lies: Robert DeNiro is Bernie Madoff

The story is mostly focused on a short window of time, with a lot of emphasis on how Bernie's actions effected his wife and kids.
lmao that's lame as hell. Why would they think anyone would be interested in that?

lmao that's lame as hell. Why would they think anyone would be interested in that?

I think they were trying to go for a character study: Who is the real Bernie Madoff? Is he a good-hearted guy who did a bad thing or is he a sociopath? So there is less emphasis on what exactly he did, and how his operation worked, than there is on how his actions affected others.

The story is also largely told through flashbacks.

Apparently Richard Dreyfuss starred in an ABC project a little while back called Madoff. I somehow was completely unaware of this. It looks like they took a very different approach. I might watch it tonight to compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
All right, well last night I watched Madoff, the mini-series with Richard Dreyfuss I was talking to @chickenluver about.

It's amazing how different it is from Wizard of Lies. Completely different. Totally different approach.

Everything is different: the tone and the feel, the use of lighting and color, the way the film is shot, the events that are covered and certainly the way Madoff is portrayed by Dreyfuss and DeNiro, respectively.

Whereas Wizard of Lies is largely focused on the end of Bernie Madoff's criminal journey and on how his actions effected his wife and sons, Madoff tells a broader picture: When see a bit about how he first gets involved in the world of finance, we see the early days of his business when things are going well and he doesn't have a care in the world, and it's only later in the story that he becomes the paranoid, short-tempered man who knows he's about to get caught.

All in all, I enjoyed Madoff a good bit more. It's still not GREAT, but it's pretty good and probably about the best one can expect from an "ABC television event."

I enjoyed it. Maybe a 6 in my opinion. Good not to see him in the same lame ass comedies

Back