Winter Olympics 2018 PyeongChang Discussion: Norovirus and North Korea Nuclear Holocaust Edition

Elvis was screwed by the judges in1994 and in 1998 he skated clean but with a severe injury. He didn't choke. Kurt Browning choked though. No idea who the other guy is, not a figure skater right? Just figure skating wise, it's very rare for the world champion from the year before get the gold medal (well in recent years anyway) I don't believe it's happened all that often.

wotherspoon is a speed skater, won like 8 world championships (4 in sprint, 4 in distance)

they promoted as a medal hopeful/favourite and he just came up short again and again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Wotherspoon

basically in the world of olympic sport; one olympic gold medal is better than 5 world championships

thats just insane.

And ice hockey will be interesting to see, now that its more of a level playing field now that Canada can't send their elite.

I like watching all events, so will be glued to my TV for the better part of 2 weeks.

It's possible Canada will dominate even more than usual. Their washouts are still damn good, I think you'll see blowouts of the second tier teams but more lopsided games against teams that also traditionally made use of NHL players. We'll see.

It's possible Canada will dominate even more than usual. Their washouts are still damn good, I think you'll see blowouts of the second tier teams but more lopsided games against teams that also traditionally made use of NHL players. We'll see.

Use to be that it was Canada's to lose, now it can go anywhere.

Speed Skating is happening tomorrow, don't remember which events...think the 500m was one of them, but looking forward to it. And the Moguls are usually at the beginning of the Olympics as well :) Mikael Kingsbury has a really good chance to win it this year

thats just insane.

And ice hockey will be interesting to see, now that its more of a level playing field now that Canada can't send their elite.

I like watching all events, so will be glued to my TV for the better part of 2 weeks.
That's fucking stupid. We abandoned the amateur handicap thing a long time ago, sadly...but we did.

Canada should be able to send its best.

That's fucking stupid. We abandoned the amateur handicap thing a long time ago, sadly...but we did.

Canada should be able to send its best.

Its the NHL that banned their players from going. If i remember correctly its because the NHL owners want a high insurance for its players and I think (not 100%) they wanted their logo on the players jerseys.

Every other world league can send their best, and thankfully there were some Canadian players in those leagues.

Its the NHL that banned their players from going. If i remember correctly its because the NHL owners want a high insurance for its players and I think (not 100%) they wanted their logo on the players jerseys.

Every other world league can send their best, and thankfully there were some Canadian players in those leagues.
This was my assumption.

Didn't a few players get very badly injured in previous Olympics? I thought that was why NHL owners wanted to stop sending them. I could be wrong though

Didn't a few players get very badly injured in previous Olympics? I thought that was why NHL owners wanted to stop sending them. I could be wrong though
It's indefinitely a factor, that mixed with economics tanked the deal they've had since the 90's. It's a shame, it's great exposure for the League, but individual owners can suffer big losses. If a guy like Steven Stamkos tears his ACL, that's the Lightnings' season basically done. Hopefully they can work a new deal out, the American team would have been fun this year.

It's indefinitely a factor, that mixed with economics tanked the deal they've had since the 90's. It's a shame, it's great exposure for the League, but individual owners can suffer big losses. If a guy like Steven Stamkos tears his ACL, that's the Lightnings' season basically done. Hopefully they can work a new deal out, the American team would have been fun this year.
Yeah, same reason NBA players are increasingly reluctant to go. It's becoming a thing in all leagues as the top pay bracket in professional sports ascends to a ludicrous sphere.

Yeah, John Tavares from the Islanders had a season ending surgery from getting injured at the Olympics

I'm being serious don't recall what that has to do with Asians
Russians are Asians, derp.

Furthermore, the Chinese judge, beyond the French judge quoted in the Wiki, was suspected in particular of being in the Russian pocket, as she was all over the map in that Olympics, and I don't think it will take much convincing to persuade anyone, anymore, that both those nations' Olympic programs are run by entirely by unscrupulous individuals (thank you for tutoring the more obtuse ones on that, Father Time...I wasted a lot of breath).
There was immediate suspicion of cheating, according to ABC's Good Morning America and USA Today. Judges from Russia, the People's Republic of China, Poland, Ukraine, and France had placed the Russians first; judges from the United States, Canada, Germany, and Japan chose the Canadians. Suspicion fell quickly on the French judge, Marie-Reine Le Gougne.

When Le Gougne returned to the officials' hotel, Sally Stapleford, chair of the International Skating Union's Technical Committee, confronted her. Le Gougne had an emotional breakdown in which she allegedly said that she had been pressured by the head of the French skating organization, Didier Gailhaguet, to vote for the Russian pair regardless of how the others performed.[6] She reportedly repeated this at the post-event judges' meeting the next day.[6] It was alleged that this was part of a deal to get an advantage for French couple Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat in the ice dance competition that was to follow a few days later. However, in a later signed statement Le Gougne denied taking part in such a deal and also stated that she had truly believed the Russian pair deserved to win.
The Chinese had their own moment in the following Olympics with their own pairs, IIRC, although I'd have to Google a bit to remind myself.

Furthermore, the Chinese judge, beyond the French judge quoted in the Wiki, was suspected in particular of being in the Russian pocket, as she was all over the map in that Olympics, and I don't think it will take much convincing to persuade anyone, anymore, that both those nations' Olympic programs are run by entirely by unscrupulous individuals (thank you for tutoring the more obtuse ones on that, Father Time...I wasted a lot of breath).

The Chinese had their own moment in the following Olympics with their own pairs, IIRC, although I'd have to Google a bit to remind myself.
Russians are euros

Japan voted for Canada (but j guess you won't count that)

In figure skating Russians are considered Europeans. That's why they compete at the European championships and not the four continents championship.

In fact I'm pretty sure that Russia is part of Europe?

In fact I'm pretty sure that Russia is part of Europe?
It spans both continents, but its capital is in Europe. No one calls Russians Asians, Russia is either considered European or basically it's own continent. When I say a person is Russian, you picture a dead-eyed white person, and that's Eastern Europe to a T.

Last edited:
Back