Winning Your Muay Thai Fight - A Handy Dandy Guide

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
I initially planned on doing a long-ass post on the clinch and all of the nuances that I want to see more people using, but I decided that before I do that it makes more sense to make this guide.

In writing this post, I'm assuming a few things about the reader:
1) You're competing or thinking of competing
2) You don't compete at a high level
3) You want to become a high level striker
4) You don't already make use of these techniques

So in that sense, this post might not be the most useful for everyone, nevertheless I wanted to write the sort of post that I wish I'd read when I first started training, I've never fought professionally, but I've come up with this piece based on the problems that I've had developing as a martial artist and watching others. It's a long post, and it's very detailed but it's free. So hopefully this will be good for you:

Winning Your Fight

When I look at the people I train with, I tend to notice a very specific pattern in the way they strikes. Generally people who compete at the lower levels seem to treat each technique as its own thing, and don't put these techniques into the greater concept of a fight.

So quite often a muay thai smoker can end up looking either like two robots fighting, or two people banging away at each other but without any real grace or technique.

I most commonly see these three crucial problems with strikers:

1) Their technique is sloppy
2) They lack flow
3) They lack simple, effective, controlling techniques

First let's talk about:

Sloppy Technique

Ever look at a local 'championship' muay thai bought and wonder why the two fighters look so messy? Well it's partly a strategy thing but its also because they lack particularly clean technique. While guys like Liam Harrison and John Wayne Parr have very clean technique, it's far more often that you'll see professional fighters who don't exactly look pro.

tumblr_nt1jboV6Gz1ry1rm7o1_500.gif

I haven't got much of a comment, I just thought it was a fairly nice sweep

Take this fight for example. Now I'm not saying either of these guys are bad fighters, they'd kick my arse any day of the week, but I'm sure you can watch and see that it's pretty scrappy lookings and the kicks often look particularly janky.

A lot of the time in this fight you'll see that the timing is off, and strikes are delivered awkwardly, a kick sort of glances off the opponent and then weirdly comes back to the body. This is what I mean by sloppy technique, while you can certainly win a fight with it, everyone wants to have Thai level technique and the only way you can avoid it is by trying to perform better than this.

So what are my tips?

Tip 1 - Practise striking form

I know, it sounds obvious but there is a lot more to punching and kicking than you'll initially be taught. I've lost count the amount of time I've seen even pretty good fighters flare their elbows out before they punch, telegraphing it to the world, and they don't sit down on that punch either meaning that they lose a lot of the stopping power they could have had with it.

Something I can't emphasise enough is training every day. Now I don't mean you have to be in the gym every day, but you should certainly be shadowboxing in front a mirror on the regular, not only that but you should be recording yourself as much as possible so that you can see what you look like from the side.

Focus on the smaller details of the strike, keeping the elbow pointing down on your rear straight, making sure that you're transferring weight correctly, and if you're unsure as to what that means be sure to look it up. It's very important that you understand the positioning of your body itself as opposed to focussing on the arm. For an example of excellent balance and positioning look at Sergey Kovalev:

He frequently pivots and is always circling, but most importantly even though those punches are coming straight out he's not leaning into them. A rather high profile example of someone who leans way forward with every punch is Conor McGregor:

Regardless of whether he is in a fight with a tall opponent, a short opponent or just training, McGregor throws a beautiful straight, elbow pointed down, no wasted movement... at least in the arm, however he brings his head well past his hips a lot, something that has gotten him into trouble before and will again in future.

Kicks can be trickier to get the form down on but what you really want to make sure you have down is the hip turnover and the correct angle, and making sure you do it as efficiently as possible. It's important to practise marching with kicks and kicking going backwards with the correct footwork.

When you're able to do this fluidly you'll be able to attack on the front or back foot with ease (although I'm going to touch more on that later).

Tip 2 - Practise Recall

Just as important as it is to throw a strike with no telegraph, it's crucial that you recall your strike in a way that either gets you back into your stance or into superior defensive position. The two mistakes I see most often are hands dropping after throwing a punch, and legs just flopping down after throwing a kick. I not only see these in beginners but even in experienced fighters in my local regional circuit.

Which is again why a mirror is so important. You need to set aside a little bit of time to ensuring that your hands are always coming back by your face, unless you enjoy the idea of getting countered. It sounds obvious enough but even as the person writing this, I make this mistake all the time and have to make sure I pay a lot of attention to getting it right.

When it comes to controlling kicks good recall is crucial, which is why I've made use of of Sakmongkol's floating check. Which is demonstrated in numerous 8limbs videos.

Not only will it protect you from your opponent's kick (although using it too often could get you swept if you're against someone particularly good) but drilling this technique makes you think about bringing your leg back, which is something that most people don't do. The kick isn't over once it makes contact, you need to get your leg back safely.

Sakmongkol recalls his kick in a very deliberate fashion, and he's always in his stance ready to throw again. He's never in a position where his legs are slightly too close together and has to awkwardly adjust, he simply gets it done.

Lacking Flow
In the intro to this post I talked about strikers treating each strike as though it exists on its own as opposed to part of something more complex. I attribute this lack of flow, to the lack of light sparring in most western camps. When you're constantly hard sparring you're getting hurt and you don't get much of a chance to develop flowing technique.

All too often I see strikers throw a kick, they could land it but then they do nothing with it. They just fall back into their stance and wait for their next opportunity, as opposed to immediately landing a jab after recalling their leg. As a result their opponent immediately advances and gives them more trouble.

Strikers will get so caught up in drilled combinations like "1-2-3, Low kick" that they forget that they need to be able to flow in the fight. A kick should not just be the end of a combination, it should be able to appear mid combination or even as a lead if you're savvy enough. This keeps your opponent off kilter and you in control. If your leg gets caught and parried you should be comfortable with returning with a spinning back fist.

Tip 1 - Spar light and mix up your kicks and punches

This is probably the single best tool for developing your flow as a martial artist. When you're put into difficult situations, within a context where you can't get seriously hurt it allows to test out new techniques and develop the kind of flow that all the best fighters have.

Doing this will give you opportunities to follow kicks with punches and test out new combinations. In Thailand combinations aren't something that are hugely emphasised, flow is emphasised over combinations purely because it allows you to be ready in most situations. In the west however we do quite like our combos, and this will give you a great chance to really test them.

Tip 2 - Drill for Unfortunate Situations
What my coach does with me that has helped me to no end, is put me in the worst sort of situation and drills how to counter it. Things like a drill starting with him catching my kick and me having to bounce in order to prevent myself from getting swept as he drags me around the ring. Parrying my kick and having me come back with a spinning elbow in order to keep control of the fight Artem Levin style.

In drilling these bad situations frequently, you'll be more comfortable with them when they arrive. One of the things Thai's are famous for is their ability to kick on the counter and kick off of caught kicks. The reason their so good at counter kicking is because they drill it all the time in padwork, in sparring and in drills. In grappling it's common for a drill to start with you being mounted, being caught in a scarf hold etc, and having to escape those bad positions. Striking should be the same way.

Tip 3 - Learning to deal with aggressive opponents

If you're about to have your first fight and you've only been sparring, the aggressiveness of some opponents can catch you off guard. It's been said before that sometimes its more important to learn how to fight and brawl than it is to learn technique. While this might sound dumb it's certainly important to learn how to not freeze up and actually fight back when someone starts spamming punches at your face.

What I'd recommend over getting into gym wars is to learn specifically how to shut down aggressive opponents, which is where I get on to my third and final point about effective, controlling techniques. But before I move on, this video is probably something you should check out:

Lacking Simple, Effective, Controlling Techniques

So you're in a fight, and your opponent is coming on a little strong? What are you supposed to do? Well obviously the answer is to tell him "Fuck you, I do what I want" and not allow him to gain momentum over you. How are you supposed to do that? Fight back harder right?

That's another issue I tend to have watching less experienced strikers. Rather than trying to shut down their opponents aggression they try to match it. While it could certainly make for a more entertaining fight, and fighters are technically only there to entertain the crowd, it's better for your health if you learn to control your opponent's pace and impose your own.

My favourite types of fighters are the ones who are able to counter and then follow up with aggression. Guys like Vasyl Lomachenko, Buakaw Banchamek, Giorgio Petrosyan and many, many more, are fighters who draw the counter they're looking for, and then after they've landed that counter continue to attack to weaken their opponent, and then exit on an angle.

So what are my chosen controlling techniques? While while I certainly think that everyone should practise pivoting in sparring as much as possible I've chose to leave that out to focus on some techniques that are a little easier for you to start with.

Tip 1 - Baits 'n' Feints

There is no better way to control your opponent than by challenging his perception of the fight. Making your opponent think that you're going to attack, when you're not, and that you're open, when you're not is the single best thing you can do to put pressure on your opponent without having to get suckered into a brawl.

giphy.gif

In this gif, you'll notice that before Lomachenko lands that wicked left straight his right hand drops. This is a very subtle bait that you'd probably miss watching the fight, but a trained opponent immediately jumps on. His opponent and full time Nate Diaz lookalike, Martinez, sees the opening for the jab and takes it like any fighter would. As the jab leaves Vasyl's right glove is immediately up, blocks the incoming jab and the left straight comes.

So Lomachenko is just a great counter puncher right? Well, no because whenever he's not doing that he's doing something like this:
giphy.gif

Constantly feinting high and low punches really makes it hard for Martinez to know what's coming. This allows him to attack with impunity. It's not just punches though, Andy Ristie fakes knee strikes and uses them as a method to change stance. Here he was able to knock out, arguably the greatest kickboxer of all time (who was winning on points at the time) just via confusing him with feints and overloading his computer.

IdealObviousChrysomelid.gif

Tip 2 - Jabs 'n' Teeps
The great thing about muay thai and kickboxing is that its completely okay to push an opponent. Which is why it's a pretty good idea to push your opponent when he tries to bumrush you. Developing a great push kick and getting good at feinting it to throw punches, elbows and round kicks is a great way to stop your opponent from doing pretty much anything.

1_medium.gif

The teep is by far the most underused strike outside of Thailand. It's fast, its effective and is great at knocking people over mid kick. If every time you spar you make sure to throw lots of teeps whenever your opponent tries to do something you don't like, you'll get great at dictating the pace of the fight. Fake a teep, then teep them anyway, fake a teep and then hit them with something else, teep when they advance, throw rear teeps to force them back on the ropes, teep them in their dumb fucking face, your teep should be as versatile as your jab. In fact, mix your teep and your jab together and you can attack your opponent's centerline for days.

And of course in talking of flow, it's important to make sure that like when you catch a kick, you do your best buakaw impression and actually follow up with something after the teep assuming you didn't knock them down.

JFqhatK.gif

Not to mention you can mix your teep in with a front snap kick which is very similar, but with a trajectory different enough that you can really catch someone off guard and make them hurt.

bUq7bGN.gif

And of course it's important to make sure that your jab is, as the kids say, 'on fleek'. Being able to feint a jab and then come in with a more powerful power jab is great, but knowing many variations on the jab is even better. This is where watching a guy like GSP, or Miguel Cotto comes in handy as they're both fighters with a jab that can be... pretty much whatever they need it to be.

For more information on jab variations I'd strongly recommend the sherdog sticky "The Magical Jabs" put together by @Sinister because it explains the variants of jabs with a lot of detail. I'd recommend you have at least three variants on the jab in your arsenal, a good power jab, a step-then-jab (in which you step before the jab and cause your opponent to react before it's even arrived) and a quick flicking jab to set up your strikes and gauge distance.

Tip 3 - Hitting Moving Backwards

While I'm sure many are sick of hearing about him, Jean Claude Van Damme was damn right on the money about Conor McGregor when he pointed out just how good McGoat is on the back foot. While never a great offensive striker going forwards, he has made a career off of the best back step counter outside of boxing.

Learning to strike while moving backwards is one of the most beneficial things you can learn as a striker. To be able to step backwards and still be able to throw kicks will make you very hard to deal with (as the standard method for dealing with a kicker is to back them up) and I'd strongly recommend the video from earlier in the post on refining your technique.

Punching going backwards is thankfully a little easier, although mastering a back step counter is going to take a lot of light sparring and pad work to get right.

tumblr_nza9ofvCWZ1upwz95o1_400.gif

mcgregorcounterpunch.gif

Notice that McGregor isn't exactly punching while walking backwards so much as he moves backwards for long enough that you think he's going to continue to do so and then lands the counter shot.

Tip 4 - Intercepting Elbows and Knees
If ever there was a better way to control aggression it's through counter elbows. Now of course depending on the rules you're fighting under these may not be available to you, but that's no reason not to train them. If there is a better way of stopping an opponent advancing on you than to hit them in the face with a large slab of bone, that doesn't involve use of a firearm then I'm not aware of it.

sork-poong1.jpg

The old uppercut elbow is a classic move that is a staple of traditional muay thai. While it doesn't score unless it visibly hurts the opponent, it almost always does some underlying damage. It's all in the timing and is simple enough to do, all you need to is raise your elbow and that alone will hurt, and because your opponent will run head first into it it will do even more. Paul Felder recently got a knock out over Alessandro Ricci with one.

If you're not allowed to use elbows then there's no reason to panic, intercepting knees are just as good.

FluidCreativeAustrianpinscher.gif

ScarceGratefulBallpython.gif

Over all this is probably a lot to take in, and it would be silly to try to learn all this at once. But in my experience these are the techniques that make the elite the elite. The ability to dictate the pace of the fight and bring a level of technicality to their striking beyond just hitting for hittings sake.

So my advice? Find something here that you think you need to work on and work at it for a good solid month until you're happy with it and then move onto the next technique and before long you'll be laughing. No one becomes an elite striker over night, and most of us probably won't get there, but that's no reason to try.

If you managed to get to the end of this long ass post then well done, you're a far braver man than I. I hope it's been informative and in a few weeks I'll probably crack on with making and indepth post about the clinch!

Thanks again!

Great post. This is the kind of stuff the forum *should* be about.

I can only speak for myself, but for me, developing a check hook was the #1 thing that made me not just able to stop my opponent but able to keep my nerves clear. The check hook has so much depth to it that it deserves its own post which I discovered while contemplating to write all its details here, but despite being so multipurpose it is also easy to practice timing it because it's just one tool, and that simplicity is what gives you such confidence when you start using it (along with its effectiveness). You know that no matter how your opponent tries to attack you, as long as he is bringing his feet forward you can time him with your hook, and it will be effective. The only thing it doesn't work against is long kicks (ie. kicks thrown with proper technique and timing), which along with the utility of kicks, is why I think there has to be a post just about using and countering kicks both technically and strategically.

#2 was the snap kick to the abdomen combined with feints and actively looking to punch when they lower a hand to catch, which is how you set up being able to lead with the kicks.

Can't wait for the clinch in the next post.

Last edited:
Good stuff, but since we are on Sherdog, I'm gonna point out only what i disagree with, and not give you the proper dues..

Since it's about MT, i would have preferred your examples to be taken only from MT, and not from other (lesser) sports like boxing and MMA.

Another think is the jab. I don't really like to use the jab in general, and specially as they do in boxing, to find distance etc. I think in MT it's very dangerous to throw a lazy jab, with no real intention to connect. I prefer low kick for that... That may be a personal preference, but most of the MT gyms i have been, they never throw single jabs. It's either a heavy one, part of the 1-2-kick combination, or to go for a clinch.

Moving (and striking) backwards, is a very odd subject in MT. Most of the times it's a big NO. It's like giving up your "territory" and loosing in the aggression domain. Most of the times you have to clinch or stop them with a knee/elbow instead. I had a really big problem with that when i got used to the TKD movement...

The floating check after a kick, was one of the most useful and difficult thing i learned, and i have the impression it's not so common, but i may be wrong.

Mixing teeps with front kicks is so underrated...

1gDMvBo.gif

Good read. Is Andy My Boobs competing against "a guy" for the f11 analysis interim belt?

A few things I would say is that for newer fighters, those fights are really an athletic brawl, so the core basics of technique and a caveman gameplan needs to be implemented. Its nice to strike while backstepping, but with the ruleset (esp. in America) where ring control is tied to aggression, rely on that is a bad idea, its also tricky to do.

More exp. guy will use it wonderfully though, but at that point they're experienced enough to stay calm, and can think collectively, unlike mr. 0-0 murder kill slaughter.

One of the reasons my coach focused soly on the basics for fresh fighters was because we run on auto pilot and most of us, will not be calm and collectively thinking, and rather be fueled by nerves and hormones. Most of the new fighters aren't exactly high level athletes in other sports, they're usually average people, some who maybe took up lifting for a few years, and thats that. So because of this, they're not used to nerves and the pressure of being drilled that someone is going to try to kill you.

With us the 'basics' usually means:
-1 basic combo that incorporates punches with kicks
-that main combo to interrupt your opponent's strikes and combinations
-press forward (for RC)
-clinch work which usually is centered around the double collar, maintaining it, and getting to it when you're not there
-breathing in the fight and during the 1 min break

There's alot of material to cover, and from that list alone its alot for a new guy to take in. So many times do we see guys look like killers on the pads, but end up devolving to ugliness due to it not being drilled to death over and over. They revert back to old habits like winging overhands and having shitty sense of distance (usually why novice class fighters end up clinching after every 10-20 seconds)

Moving (and striking) backwards, is a very odd subject in MT. Most of the times it's a big NO. It's like giving up your "territory" and loosing in the aggression domain. Most of the times you have to clinch or stop them with a knee/elbow instead. I had a really big problem with that when i got used to the TKD movement...

The floating check after a kick, was one of the most useful and difficult thing i learned, and i have the impression it's not so common, but i may be wrong.

Mixing teeps with front kicks is so underrated...

I'm not sure I agree with you, because in the west they score on strikes landed, and in Thailand the fighter going backwards has the advantage on points, because it's seen as leading the dance... which it is really because your opponent has to move forward. Which is part of why a lot of people thought that Ramon Dekkers was getting robbed in his fights in Thailand, he wasn't, he was just a forwards moving puncher in a ruleset that favours backwards moving kickers

Adjusting from TKD sounds pretty difficult, I had an easier time because I adjusted from boxing, so I was able to implement all of my boxing arsenal and the stance wasn't too different (mine was pretty square anyway)

Great post. This is the kind of stuff the forum *should* be about.

I can only speak for myself, but for me, developing a check hook was the #1 thing that made me not just able to stop my opponent but able to keep my nerves clear. The check hook has so much depth to it that it deserves its own post which I discovered while contemplating to write all its details here, but despite being so multipurpose it is also easy to practice timing it because it's just one tool, and that simplicity is what gives you such confidence when you start using it (along with its effectiveness). You know that no matter how your opponent tries to attack you, as long as he is bringing his feet forward you can time him with your hook, and it will be effective. The only thing it doesn't work against is long kicks (ie. kicks thrown with proper technique and timing), which along with the utility of kicks, is why I think there has to be a post just about using and countering kicks both technically and strategically.

#2 was the snap kick to the abdomen combined with feints and actively looking to punch when they lower a hand to catch, which is how you set up being able to lead with the kicks.

Can't wait for the clinch in the next post.

Jesus, I wish I'd included the check hook now! I'm glad you brought it up so that people can still read it

I'm not sure I agree with you, because in the west they score on strikes landed, and in Thailand the fighter going backwards has the advantage on points, because it's seen as leading the dance... which it is really because your opponent has to move forward. Which is part of why a lot of people thought that Ramon Dekkers was getting robbed in his fights in Thailand, he wasn't, he was just a forwards moving puncher in a ruleset that favours backwards moving kickers

From my experience, it's a little more complicated. You must not look like a desperate fighter, who tries to catch up on points, but you must not look like you are avoiding to fight either. Looking like you are afraid of strikes, by moving backwards instead of blocking, is very frowned upon. I don't mean a counter fighter, but even for them, some times it gives the wrong impression.
I'm gonna try to give an example with different ways to deal with high kicks, and how they score differently from best to worst.

-Counter/strike before the high kick is landed (teep, low to the grounded leg). Obviously the faster you land it, the more of balance you make him, the better.
-Block and a catch with a redirection of the kick, making him turn his back on you, and an immediate response with a strike of your own.
-Solid block and response.
-Fade away (bending your waist backwards, making the kick pass above you). Since that make your opponent, to find himself in a not so optimal position after the kick, it' a good technique to use. It's also shows you have good balance.
-Solid block, no response.
-Hope back and response.
-Bad block. (you lose your balance, or your head was moved from the impact behind the block)
-Hope back, no response.
-Clean hit.

Staying put, while you block and strike are the best way to give a good image of your self in the ring. But if you move backwards and avoid the strikes, and not retaliate as often as needed, you loose in aggression and ring control, which is a very big deal...

Also, damage dealt is a lot more important than volume. That's why poker face, and rearrange your short after a hard strike is important. You can throw as many jabs, or light low kicks as you want, my single knee to your ribs will score higher... That's why a lot of westerners feel robbed in Thailand.

Adjusting from TKD sounds pretty difficult

I started with MT. And I was lucky to start in a "real" MT gym. Not KB, not western style MT. All the techniques, rules, tactics where taken from the Thais view of the art. After some years i had to move, and for a very long time it was hard to find a good MT gym. So i hopped from KB gyms, to "fake" MT, even to MMA stand up sessions.
Meanwhile i started TKD ITF, in a very good place, with a very open minded guy. So after 6 years of constant TKD training, and back and forth in MT/KB, when i landed on a good MT place, i had a lot of TKD reactions/movements.
So it was very hard to readjust. Block instead of avoiding, power over volume, stop running and hopping around goddammit this isn't the circus...
But on the other side, TKD helped me develop skills that it's hard to have only with MT, and can be very beneficial if used properly while keeping in mind the MT logic.

Last edited:
From my experience, it's a little more complicated. You must not look like a desperate fighter, who tries to catch up on points, but you must not look like you are avoiding to fight either. Looking like you are afraid of strikes, by moving backwards instead of blocking, is very frowned upon. I don't mean a counter fighter, but even for them, some times it gives the wrong impression.
I'm gonna try to give an example with different ways to deal with high kicks, and how they score differently from best to worst.

-Counter/strike before the high kick is landed (teep, low to the grounded leg). Obviously the faster you land it, the more of balance you make him, the better.
-Block and a catch with a redirection of the kick, making him turn his back on you, and an immediate response with a strike of your own.
-Solid block and response.
-Fade away (bending your waist backwards, making the kick pass above you). Since that make your opponent, to find himself in a not so optimal position after the kick, it' a good technique to use. It's also shows you have good balance.
-Solid block, no response.
-Hope back and response.
-Bad block. (you lose your balance, or your head was moved from the impact behind the block)
-Hope back, no response.
-Clean hit.

Staying put, while you block and strike are the best way to give a good image of your self in the ring. But if you move backwards and avoid the strikes, and not retaliate as often as needed, you loose in aggression and ring control, which is a very big deal...

Also, damage dealt is a lot more important than volume. That's why poker face, and rearrange your short after a hard strike is important. You can throw as many jabs, or light low kicks as you want, my single knee to your ribs will score higher... That's why a lot of westerners feel robbed in Thailand..

That's the weird thing with Thai scoring, because some people think that it's better, because it scores effective strikes, but then you get into the thing of "what is an effective strike" because if you punch GSP in the face, you're probably gonna cut him with his paper thin skin, but that doesn't mean that you really did much damage. That and damage from a head strike often times disappears not long after the strike, whereas body damage stays with you, stuff like that.

I started with MT. And I was lucky to start in a "real" MT gym. Not KB, not western style MT. All the techniques, rules, tactics where taken from the Thais view of the art. After some years i had to move, and for a very long time it was hard to find a good MT gym. So i hopped from KB gyms, to "fake" MT, even to MMA stand up sessions.
Meanwhile i started TKD ITF, in a very good place, with a very open minded guy. So after 6 years of constant TKD training, and back and forth in MT/KB, when i landed on a good MT place, i had a lot of TKD reactions/movements.
So it was very hard to readjust. Block instead of avoiding, power over volume, stop running and hopping around goddammit this isn't the circus...
But on the other side, TKD helped me develop skills that it's hard to have only with MT, and can be very beneficial if used properly while keeping in mind the MT logic.

TBH That's half the trouble with muay thai, say an art like Judo which has a set syllabus, you know what you're going to get and admittedly there are gyms that are better than others but you're not likely to come across a bastardisation of what the art is meant to be. Muay Thai isn't as lucky, so it's hard to find a thai style gym. I'm lucky in that my coach is a Thai and taught it his way, but he is also a guy that likes punches.

That's the weird thing with Thai scoring, because some people think that it's better, because it scores effective strikes, but then you get into the thing of "what is an effective strike" because if you punch GSP in the face, you're probably gonna cut him with his paper thin skin, but that doesn't mean that you really did much damage. That and damage from a head strike often times disappears not long after the strike, whereas body damage stays with you, stuff like that.
That's true, it always gets me how a guy gets cut or bruises and people credit that to getting beat up, despite dealing real damage in their bout. The damage isn't as great compared to broken ribs or a charlie horse. Besides, some people bruise easier than others.

That's true, it always gets me how a guy gets cut or bruises and people credit that to getting beat up, despite dealing real damage in their bout. The damage isn't as great compared to broken ribs or a charlie horse. Besides, some people bruise easier than others.

Yeah, thats the trouble, a fight is always going to be subjective unless there is a KO/submission/etc because if you squint enough you can make a dumb argument for pretty much anyone. So no matter the scoring no one will be pleased

I'm lucky in that my coach is a Thai and taught it his way, but he is also a guy that likes punches.

This is highly suspicious... He either has farang's blood in him, or he's a traitor to his people. You should report him.

This is highly suspicious... He either has farang's blood in him, or he's a traitor to his people. You should report him.
Him, Coban and Kaew Fairtex are just sitting in a jail cell like:
"So... what are you in for?"

The worst thing about Payak is he probably would have come in, gave a few good pointers... and then just started barking at everyone

@a guy is a way better analyst than me, so I've gotta carve my own niche out ;)

Wonderful write up. I would like some more info and examples on the flow part with videos. Since I have no gear atm I wonder how one can drill kicking technique and flow. I am mostly doing boxing style shajdow boxing atm due to finding it difficult to practice kicks...

Really amazing stuff. Appreciated.

Wonderful write up. I would like some more info and examples on the flow part with videos. Since I have no gear atm I wonder how one can drill kicking technique and flow. I am mostly doing boxing style shajdow boxing atm due to finding it difficult to practice kicks...

Its essentially shadow box sparring. You don't even have to check everything, its similar to flow rolling. You need a good partner who's on the same page.

Its to help you get relaxed, lose, and to throw more combinations instead of being mr. murder kill kill 1 shot sparring

On top of what J123 said, I'd recommend you find an area where you can practise kicking and practise kicking straight up gentle pivoting on your foot until you get comfortable, then practise the technique like in the kick drill video. That will do wonders for your kick, it's okay if its a bit flicky or not "muay thai" because its about building balance, co-ordination and recall technique :)

Glad you like the thread

Good read. Is Andy My Boobs competing against "a guy" for the f11 analysis interim belt?
Came here to post this. I'm a Karate guy but I can appreciate a well-written analysis like this. Actually watching MT vids I feel like I've added to my kick arsenal and got a better idea of how to throw elbows effectively (since they are not used in Karate comp). So always glad to read up on MT skills. Long-ass read but worth it.

On top of what J123 said, I'd recommend you find an area where you can practise kicking and practise kicking straight up gentle pivoting on your foot until you get comfortable, then practise the technique like in the kick drill video. That will do wonders for your kick, it's okay if its a bit flicky or not "muay thai" because its about building balance, co-ordination and recall technique :)

Glad you like the thread
Of course I liked the topic. This forum should be about that.

I have very strong legs. I have been playing soccer for 8 years and I can kick like a horse. Its a shame I cant practice them. Fun fact soccer volleys look very close by technique on muya thai kicks. If you want to control and bomb you have to use your hips pivot the stabilizing foot and ground your body and mostly hit with a motion that goes from up to down. It was very easy for me to learn low and mid kicks.

I cant wait for the clinch part. I am especially interested in how to get your opponent on the ground from a clinch although I know it does not score points in MT.

Of course I liked the topic. This forum should be about that.

I have very strong legs. I have been playing soccer for 8 years and I can kick like a horse. Its a shame I cant practice them. Fun fact soccer volleys look very close by technique on muya thai kicks. If you want to control and bomb you have to use your hips pivot the stabilizing foot and ground your body and mostly hit with a motion that goes from up to down. It was very easy for me to learn low and mid kicks.

I cant wait for the clinch part. I am especially interested in how to get your opponent on the ground from a clinch although I know it does not score points in MT.
yeah bro I played soccer and did karate, coaches said my form was great right off the bat when i started doing muay thai.

Back