Winning fg-2900 review after 100 logged rounds.

I don't know how good that R2C facesaver headgear is, but it doesn't look like it covers the nose.

It don't have to have the bar straight across the nose to offer nose protection. It could be on the lower portion and still offer great nose protection. I don't go with the rival headgear because they are new with doing facebar headgears.

Wwwhhhhaaaattt. Are you joking man? What the fuck is grant smoking. Damn. That's beyond outrageous, how do they expect anybody to pay $1,200 for a headgear. That's just sad, it probably costs $200-$300 to make, I would only pay $1,200 for a headgear if it was made out of solid gold.

No it better make my opponents punches bounce off and hit him.:)

FYI that Ring to Cage Headgear is $124.

Wwwhhhhaaaattt. Are you joking man? What the fuck is grant smoking. Damn. That's beyond outrageous, how do they expect anybody to pay $1,200 for a headgear. That's just sad, it probably costs $200-$300 to make, I would only pay $1,200 for a headgear if it was made out of solid gold.

That was a joke, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they charged you close to $1,000 since you wanted a design of a face, teeth and eyes. Realistically, I'd say $600. Just a wild guess.

Why did I say close to $1,000? WTF am I smoking? I don't even smoke. To be more realistic, WTF am I secondhand smoking? Time for bed.

Well the custom facebar is $350, and for that amount of airbrushing I would say would be an additional $150 max, so the total should be around $500; just over the cost of a stock FG-5000.

not concerned that it probably wont be as good as a Winning FG5000? seems like youre picking colours over safety

not concerned that it probably wont be as good as a Winning FG5000? seems like youre picking colours over safety

If I was concerned with safety I wouldn't box; it is just like how the best form of safe sex is abstinence.

Also, with the new rules for mens amateur boxing there will be no headgear, not sure when that takes affect exactly, I just know the next provincials/nationals will be no headgear. So either way, I just need something that will prevent brusing/swelling/cuts while training, so there is no need paying 4x more; also, Grant is suppose to be better than Cleto Reyes, and my Cleto Reyes is awesome.

Last edited:
Few points

Isn't the point of a facesaver to have the best possible protection?
You only pay 4x more if you want pretty colours. Not hating, your cash
Reyes Mex headguard > Grant equivalent according to reviews.

I think headguards may be gone by Rio but not long before that. Fought last week in our version of regionals and there were no rule changes and there won't be any for this season. Won't matter if you're a novice anyway, you'll still probably get headguards. edit: not relevant anyway, obviously youre not going to wear a facesaver in competition

wait what am I saying? Buy it and do a review

Last edited:
Isn't the point of a facesaver to have the best possible protection? You only pay 4x more if you want pretty colours. Not hating, your cash

Absolutely agree. But if somebody wishes to pay... why not...

If I was concerned with safety I wouldn't box; it is just like how the best form of safe sex is abstinence.

Also, with the new rules for mens amateur boxing there will be no headgear, not sure when that takes affect exactly, I just know the next provincials/nationals will be no headgear. So either way, I just need something that will prevent brusing/swelling/cuts while training, so there is no need paying 4x more; also, Grant is suppose to be better than Cleto Reyes, and my Cleto Reyes is awesome.

Any idea why they're cutting off headgears for the amateurs? It sounds stupid.

I already know what winning offers with headgear. My 2900 is incredible. But I want to taste different water and try grant maybe. See what they offer, also they are both facebar headgears. The safety should already be to the max, just little details here and there is what's gonna make it superior to the other, so next thing would be to go about colors and designs

Few points

Isn't the point of a facesaver to have the best possible protection?
You only pay 4x more if you want pretty colours. Not hating, your cash
Reyes Mex headguard > Grant equivalent according to reviews.

I think headguards may be gone by Rio but not long before that. Fought last week in our version of regionals and there were no rule changes and there won't be any for this season. Won't matter if you're a novice anyway, you'll still probably get headguards. edit: not relevant anyway, obviously youre not going to wear a facesaver in competition

wait what am I saying? Buy it and do a review

Which is why I am getting the Grant facesaver and not the Mexican style. My coach has already confirmed that headguards will be gone by the provincials and nationals, but doesn't know when the rule comes into effect. I was actually referring to the quality of the leather and foam, not the protection, as the Grant is more open.

If I am going to spend that kind of money, I want custom stuff, other wise I will stick with ringside, title, cleto reyes, etc. but that is just me; the Klitschkos still use Ringside and Title gear for sparring.

Last edited:
Not sure why we're talking about it, but did your coach think that rule will affect novices too?

Any idea why they're cutting off headgears for the amateurs? It sounds stupid.
Making it more similar to the pros. Right now I don't think there's much evidence headguards actually prevent against much besides cuts and the thought that the added weight might be doing more harm than good. Idk though. Google found this article from 2011:

Amateur boxing would like to get rid of headguards after next year's London Olympics in a move that will take the sport ever closer to the professional version.
International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) president Wu Ching-Kuo also told Reuters in an interview that London 2012 will have a new scoring system to ensure fights cannot be manipulated.

The changes to scoring, making each ringside judge openly accountable for his actions, will be welcomed but any move to ditch head protection is sure to be controversial with the medical profession.

Wu said however that AIBA's new World Series of Boxing, which features bare-chested boxers without headguards and paid prize money, had led to a rethink of the traditional amateur approach.

"I took a very big step introducing the WSB, introducing the professional competition with no headguard and no vest," declared the Taiwanese.

"This is very much a test. The reason I can take this test is because the material for the gloves has been improved tremendously. The material absorbs a lot of this impact.

"The boxers are so happy. Without headguards they suddenly feel completely relaxed. It's a relief from this very tight thing on the head," he added, speaking at the SportAccord convention in London.

Wu said AIBA's medical commission planned to collate data from the first three seasons of WSB and then present it to the International Olympic Committee.
The first season, involving 12 city-based franchises around the world from Los Angeles to Astana, had seen only five or six knockouts from 360 bouts.

"In 2013, we will evaluate and then present it to the IOC medical commission," said Wu. "They will examine our data and the evidence we have collected. If they feel comfortable, then maybe (headguards will go).

"I think if you ask everybody involved in boxing, nobody likes it (headguards)," he added. "For me, as president of the AIBA, I want to go step by step. It must be fully proven that safety is no problem.

"We will still need to keep the vest for amateur boxing because of the country name."

SCORING MANIPULATION

Wu said AIBA had devised a new electronic scoring system to replace the one used at the 2008 Beijing Games, where there was fear that members of the organisation or competition officials had tried to manipulate bouts.

"The past scoring machine was if three of the five judges push the same colour button within one second, you get one point. We found out this still has room for manipulation...so we wanted a new machine," he declared. "After research and testing it is now ready.

"So we are sending it to all the national federations now. If the judge pushes the button, he has to be responsible. His personal score will be recorded. It is open, so he has to be very careful and responsible."

Wu said the system would be used for the first time later this month at the women's world junior championships in Turkey and then the men's world championships.
"The IOC is so happy to see it," he said. "We have spent a lot of time and money to develop this new system."

The WSB series, with $500,000 in prize money for the winning team, has blurred the lines between professional boxing and what AIBA nowadays prefer to call Olympic-style rather than amateur. That distinction could become even cloudier in future.

Wu hinted that AIBA could one day sanction full professional fights, under their own rules and carefully-controlled conditions.

"Now we have WSB, step by step," he said.

"The Olympic medals are awarded to the best athletes. The golds have to be awarded to the best athletes in that sport. If the professional boxing is not in the Olympics, people wonder if that boxer is the best -- just like in tennis in the past.
"For us maybe the sports are different because we are concerned with safety and we have to be very cautious, step by step, evaluation all the time.

"If they (amateur boxers) join the WBC, WBA, they can never come back to AIBA. It may be that one day in the future AIBA have their own professionals but not now. We have to concentrate on WSB, make sure it is successful. Maybe in the future."

Back to the main topic for a while, there is a fg5000 on ebay atm(old version)

Winning FG 5000 2L on ebay

I think the 2900 would work for me since I only spar once a week. If you spar hard 3 times a week, I'd get a really good helmet.

I think the 2900 would work for me since I only spar once a week. If you spar hard 3 times a week, I'd get a really good helmet.

I don't like that he says he can still feel his nose get hit. Personally I don't understand the whole frequency of sparring dictating what headgear you should get, even if you spar once a month that doesn't mean you shouldn't get the best protection if you want it.

I'm moving and switching gyms around December. For now I'm sparring one to two times a week. My head size is a medium to large when it comes to winning gear. But if you do sell it, the 2900 is amazing. I would keep it if it wasn't for the fact I'm moving and spparing 3 times a week. You just can't go wrong with the 2900

In FG-2900 good overview of the bottom? Suitable for Muay Thai?

And please tell me, if the head circumference 58.5 cm (23,031 inch), what size is the best fit? M or L?

In FG-2900 good overview of the bottom? Suitable for Muay Thai?

And please tell me, if the head circumference 58.5 cm (23,031 inch), what size is the best fit? M or L?

Downward view is decent, never practiced muay thai though.

Same size as my head. Size L fits perfectly in the 2900 and 5000.

Back