Winky Wright vs Trinidad: using the jab from southpaw

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Jimmy Jazz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Jimmy Jazz Brown Belt

Jimmy Jazz
    I have alot of dexterity in my right hand and I want to be more well rounded in my kickboxing sparring and eventual mma training. Any southpaws on here that can talk about how they use the jab? I hear its hard to use the jab in open stance fights so I was wondering about how Winky makes it effective. A pro boxer told me a straight left is great from orthodox against a south paw so I figure the opposite would be true for a south paw.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    EvilDDS likes this.
  2. MilesP4P White Belt

MilesP4P
    I just wanted to throw in my two cents as I sit here waiting out this hurricane irma situation lol.

But what Winky is a master of (in my opinion) is shooting his jab in whatever way his opponent makes available to him. Often times we hear commentators having this obsession with getting your lead foot outside your opponents to land the jab, but that is only one route to landing the jab when facing an opponent who is using an opposite stance.

If your opponent has his lead foot outside yours, you can still land the jab, you just have to shoot it up the middle (in between the guard/gloves) as opposed to trying to land it over the shoulder.

If YOU have your lead foot on the outside you can shoot the jab over your opponents shoulder.

Guys like Winky and Paquiao have made entire careers off of being comfortable versus the opposite stance, while their opponents often struggled to establish their jab and even getting their rhythm started, WINKY and Paq could land their jabs at will regardless of their foot position.

Uchi Mata and Jimmy Jazz like this.
  3. Jimmy Jazz Brown Belt

Jimmy Jazz
    Great bro, great point about shooting inbetween the guard. Winky is a good example for me because he is a larger guy. Pac is a bit small for me to emulate I think. Stay safe!

4. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    Pernell Whitaker dominated several orthodox fighters largely based on his jab. I've always found southpaws with an active and versatile lead hand to be particularly problematic (southpaws that rely on their left hand to do most of their damage can become very predictable).

Jimmy Jazz likes this.
  5. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    It's that inside angle counter bro. Every time Tito steps outside Winky's lead foot, Wright pivots very slightly and pops that jab out. I love the inside angle myself, guys get so focused on getting their lead foot outside that you can often just let them do it and bury that jab or a hook over the top. I mean, you know the cross is coming when they get that outside angle, so it's not that hard to deal with. It's only when guys hide that step that it's super dangerous, and Trinidad wasn't doing a very good job of that in this fight from what little of the vid I watched.

Jimmy Jazz likes this.
  6. DoctorTaco Breadhead

DoctorTaco
    As a southpaw I can say that I have no difficulty working behind a jab. If you drill it enough you should be fine

Jimmy Jazz likes this.
  7. Jimmy Jazz Brown Belt

Jimmy Jazz
    Can you guys tell me what is the difference between a straight left and a regular jab?

8. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    Hip rotation.