Wing Chun ???

i've studied wing chun for 2 years and boxing for 1 year and bjj for 4 years.

wing chun is NOT effective. it's based off of trapping. i asked my wing chun sifu how much trapping he used in the fights he's been in. he said never.

bruce lee,at the end of his life, was just boxing.

you never see trapping in an mma match.

of course it's possible to use a pak sau perhaps, but when are you ever going to use a bong sau or fook sau? it's inefficient and there's no power and no speed or stability in the stance. stop learning wing chun. it's a waste of time if you wanna fight well.

It's a fucking joke and for you to be posters in the standup and actually discuss it seriously makes me reconsider reading this forum ever again.

Pick up boxing, wing chun is flawed and you can tell why if you've ever sparred at 80% or harder.

This is the truth, but trying to convince Kungfutards is futile.

I guess they'll learn if they ever get in the ring, but since their sifu keeps telling them WC is TOO DEALDY FOR COMPETITION, they'll probably never learn.

Also, BEHOLD THE POWER OF WC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3s...w.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60793

Seriously, just read up on the stuff on bullshido. it sucks, and the people there aren't afraid to challenge you to a fight to prove it.

I'm still waiting for a non shady, non demonstration video of WC actually being applied to a resting opponent at full speed and working. I haven't seen one yet.

Also, Bruce Lee ditched WC and then proceeded to repeatedly badmouth it in interviews, BTW.

Yes, Win Chun is very useful - and if you have a great instructor, it will provide a great base for your martial arts career!

This is the truth, but trying to convince Kungfutards is futile.

I guess they'll learn if they ever get in the ring, but since their sifu keeps telling them WC is TOO DEALDY FOR COMPETITION, they'll probably never learn.

Also, BEHOLD THE POWER OF WC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3s...w.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60793

Seriously, just read up on the stuff on bullshido. it sucks, and the people there aren't afraid to challenge you to a fight to prove it.

I'm still waiting for a non shady, non demonstration video of WC actually being applied to a resting opponent at full speed and working. I haven't seen one yet.

Also, Bruce Lee ditched WC and then proceeded to repeatedly badmouth it in interviews, BTW.

LMAO! THAT VIDEO WAS HILARIOUS!

I've never trained in Wing Chun, but I've also never seen it used to anything but tragic results against someone who knows what there doing.

LMAO! THAT VIDEO WAS HILARIOUS!

Yes, its a funny video! But keep in mind that back in early UFC days (1 through 7 I think). People will come up to fight with fake records, so that people would think that these guys were true masters. For example, Kimo was saying that he was a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, but he wasnt.

Self defense is most time efficient and effective in the form of a gun.

HAHA I still believe the best self defense is track. if you can run 50 meters faster than anybody you have little to worry about. It works well against multiple attackers and weapons. When a lot of people say they want to learn self defense, what they really are saying is I want to learn to fight, which are two very different things.

Not to sound like a perv but the girl on the wing chun dummy looked cute.

Yes, its a funny video! But keep in mind that back in early UFC days (1 through 7 I think). People will come up to fight with fake records, so that people would think that these guys were true masters. For example, Kimo was saying that he was a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, but he wasnt.

Asbel Cancio runs a large _ing _un school and is a pretty well respected authority on it.

It's just that _ing _un is unrealistic garbage.

steve faulkner is another reason why wing chun sucks in NHB\mma. igor zinoviev beat him in only 44 seconds at extreme fighting 2' and faulkner was supposedly the number 1 wing chun guy in the world

from my experience, wing chun practitioner are rushing "belforts" but with no power whatsoever in their punches (whereas belfort must have a LOT of it)

I would avoid it.

How much WIng Chun is used by proffessional fighters today ? In MMA or in K-1 ? None.

If you want an effective martial art, listen to the mantra and take up a combat sport.

In grappling it's BJJ, wrestling, Judo or Sambo. In striking it's Kickboxing, Boxing , Muay Thai or Kyokushin (full contact karate). Tae kwon Do can be a bit sketchy.

Wing Chun like all forms of Kung Fu and Aikido has a questionable track record at producing reputable fighters. I don't care what some guy did 50 years ago, I'm talking about today.

If striking is what you want to train in get yourself into a Kickboxing gym, you will thank me later.

Sure it might be good, but why not just that the basic or original MMA effective martial arts like
Boxing
Kickboxing/Muay Thai
BJJ
Wrestling

wing chun is an art i have practiced over many years and feel it has given me a lot of benefits. I now train it very rarely however as its not effective for mma and thats what im training for.

someone said earlier thta fook sau is useless, i love fook sau, and know from people expericne that its great in working the door.

what i like about it is it can be used to have a great thai clinch, just take that fook sau and put it up on their neck, if u can feel through ur forearm what ur opponents gonna do u can do more to stop him getting out the clinch and use his movement to bring him off balance and bring him into knees.

WC stance is prone to takedowns, and trapping doesnt work against fighters that dont chamber their punches.

I trained Wing Chun for a year when I was young. Well, obviously you might learn some neat tricks, but in the end it comes down to the fact that you just learn more about fighting from actually sparring for real like you do in the combat sports.

wing chun is an art i have practiced over many years and feel it has given me a lot of benefits. I now train it very rarely however as its not effective for mma and thats what im training for.

someone said earlier thta fook sau is useless, i love fook sau, and know from people expericne that its great in working the door.

what i like about it is it can be used to have a great thai clinch, just take that fook sau and put it up on their neck, if u can feel through ur forearm what ur opponents gonna do u can do more to stop him getting out the clinch and use his movement to bring him off balance and bring him into knees.

You do know that a guy who clinches with you is going to grab you around the waist or shoulders and not do your little WC pattycake bullshit with you, right?

from my experience, wing chun practitioner are rushing "belforts" but with no power whatsoever in their punches (whereas belfort must have a LOT of it)

Rushing Belforts? Is that like JKD's straightblast?

My uncle has been a practitioner ever since he was a teenager. He likes the trapping aspect of things and the fact that it's close quarter, but I guess it all depends on the school because he's stated that there's far too much reliance on stopping short when they train. Most of the vids I've seen of WC show some very flashy/fast techniques all stopping short, I would imagine that if all of your training involved the same thing, it wouldn't be too effective in MMA.

A lot of traditional Martial Arts have lost their applicability through hundreds of years of combat progression and evolution. It is very possible that WC used to be an effective artform, and that one in the street could protect himself knowing soley that martial art. I'm not even disputing a WC practioner vs. a person on the street that knows nothing, they will probably win.

The thing that sucks about WC is that we have found artforms that are more effective in all aspects of WC. American boxing with counter punching, Muay Thai with counter kicks, Judo for throws, and BJJ/GrecoRoman/Sambo for submissions and grapplin.

IMO I would almost never be afraid of a WC practioner. It's not like I am discrediting their hardwork and effort, but to be honest, their misconceptions about actual fighting is usually way off hilter. They are worse then people on the street because they think they have a developed sense of fighting, when in reality the "sparring" they have looks more like drills than anything else.

Don't do it. American boxing, muay thai, BJJ, Judo, even TKD and Karate are more applicable to reality.

A lot of traditional Martial Arts have lost their applicability through hundreds of years of combat progression and evolution. It is very possible that WC used to be an effective artform, and that one in the street could protect himself knowing soley that martial art. I'm not even disputing a WC practioner vs. a person on the street that knows nothing, they will probably win.

The thing that sucks about WC is that we have found artforms that are more effective in all aspects of WC. American boxing with counter punching, Muay Thai with counter kicks, Judo for throws, and BJJ/GrecoRoman/Sambo for submissions and grapplin.

IMO I would almost never be afraid of a WC practioner. It's not like I am discrediting their hardwork and effort, but to be honest, their misconceptions about actual fighting is usually way off hilter. They are worse then people on the street because they think they have a developed sense of fighting, when in reality the "sparring" they have looks more like drills than anything else.

Don't do it. American boxing, muay thai, BJJ, Judo, even TKD and Karate are more applicable to reality.

Excellent summary, that just might be the thread closer!
Too bad tho, some guys just don't understand it, others just dont want to acknowledge that there is no "secret moves" to becoming a good fighter.

Join a gym, get your ass kicked for a while, train hard. The feeling you get after doing some hard sparring/a actual fight, and actually experiencing that you can take a punch, and give one too beats having a nice day of sticky-hands. At least for me.

Back