Wing Chun ???

Immortaltechnik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you think it's helpful for MMA?

A friend of mine told me that wing chun will give me a great basis of counter blocking boxers or any karat

I did Wing Chun for a while- it's quite nice but in my experience of doing it I found that it was way too "inch perfect" for it to be really effective- for me at least. Don't get me wrong- I'm not arrogant or experienced enough to be able to say "x works, y doesn't etc."

I certainly know one guy who likes it and who certainly ISN'T one of the "inch perfect" geeks that commonly do it. In fact he's a huge ass Judo freak who seems only to really follow the techniques loosely and really likes it for the principle and the rough ideas behind it.

Bottom line: though I'd feel quite confident vs most of the Wing Chun guys I've met with my poor to mediocre striking and grappling there are a few whom I don't think I'd fare well against.

Just my .02

I believe Ben Saunders from TUF does Jeet Kun Do, which is a modified version of Wing Chun.

while its better than nothing, i dont think wing chun is very useful for mma. a lot of it is based on trapping and i've never seen that work in an mma fight.

Wing Chun is an excellent standup striking/antistriking system. It's mostly based around striking angles and footwork with strike deflection thrown in.

However. Most Wing Chun schools will only teach you how to act against other boxers. Speaking from personal experience, you'll eat so many lowkicks you'll feel like a fool for months if you start sparring with a kickboxing stylist.
Also, there is no grappling/antigrappling.

So in short: Good system, many black holes. Crosstraining required.

There is nothing wrong with Wing Chun. There are plenty of really good technique you can use.

I could see using Wing Chun techs when your up against the cage or ropes. Those close up strikes in Wing Chun could break some ribs even when your back is to the cage etc.

Honestly, never discount any style altogether. So what pure styles or even bases in some styles don't work in MMA. EVERY style has SOMETHING that can be taken from it. It just depends on the fighter.

the "every style has somethign to use" is dumb logic. There is something called time efficency and what % of the techiques are actually useable agaisnt a resisting opponent. The whole "every style has something to give" is a bullshit quote to justify certian styles. Why waste your time? If you want to be a fighter or defend yourself that is.

I certainly know one guy who likes it and who certainly ISN'T one of the "inch perfect" geeks that commonly do it. In fact he's a huge ass Judo freak who seems only to really follow the techniques loosely and really likes it for the principle and the rough ideas behind it.

Thats how it should be. As a fighter you should open your minds to other practices and their philosphies. If you're not learning from their techniques. You're at least stimulating yourself mentally by pondering over questions and asking yourself questiosn such as "would this or wouldnt this work?" and then you're expanding your horizons as a fighter. Maybe not physically but mentally, which i say is almost just as important.

the "every style has somethign to use" is dumb logic. There is something called time efficency and what % of the techiques are actually useable agaisnt a resisting opponent. The whole "every style has something to give" is a bullshit quote to justify certian styles. Why waste your time? If you want to be a fighter or defend yourself that is.

Self defense is most time efficient and effective in the form of a gun.

But if you're a fighter. You want to learn how to fight, and you always want to learn everything there is aobut fighting. Or just understanding the concepts behind certain arts. Whether it be the punches, the kicks, the submissions, or the art of misdirection. I'm not saying you have to delve yourself deeply into any one art with the purpose of learning how to more effectively beat the shit out of someone. But just by dabbling in it and absorbing some of concepts, you are learning and growing as a fighter. Its like reading a book. You may not notice the direct benefits to your life from reading books. But dont you feel overall more stimulated and more well worded after you've finished reading one? (considering you guys read books.. heh) Ultimately it makes you smarter and a more aware just in your normal everyday life and everyday conversations. Translate that analogy to your fighting life and you'll see what i mean.

ive seen wing chun and trained in it with a friend who was a black belt in melbourne australia and it was extremely ineffective unless you did it FOR ALONG TIME. I grappled and sparred with my friend a few time(the black belt, names jason) and i could take him down 99% of the time without damage and standing up his legs got beat down hard and he didnt have an answer for simple straight punchs.

He landed a few punches but they didnt hurt really, you just knew you got punched. Most strikes he threw were awkward to read but at the same time when he threw them trying to counter what i was doing they just didnt work.

There is no such thing as a black belt in Wing Chun. It's a chinese style.
Please, go on, it's been a while since I saw a literate rectum.

There is no such thing as a black belt in Wing Chun. It's a chinese style.
Please, go on, it's been a while since I saw a literate rectum.

oh im sorry the equivalent of a wing chun black belt you fuckin asshat. Go ahead pretend your intelligent by analysing word for word what people say. His sifu or master or grandmaster (whatever you want to call him) was William Chung in Melbourne Australia. Either way your being a bitch about symantics.

Either way I can tell your offeneded that your pet style didnt stand up to well in practice. But who cares really?? I was giving my own personal experience with it. Therefore, your useless commentary means nothing. If you cant stand that then maybe you can go prove everyone wrong champ. :icon_cry2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcaqH8fb--c hahahaha

I could see using Wing Chun techs when your up against the cage or ropes. Those close up strikes in Wing Chun could break some ribs even when your back is to the cage etc.

Honestly, never discount any style altogether. So what pure styles or even bases in some styles don't work in MMA. EVERY style has SOMETHING that can be taken from it. It just depends on the fighter.
I agree.

It's a fucking joke and for you to be posters in the standup and actually discuss it seriously makes me reconsider reading this forum ever again.

Pick up boxing, wing chun is flawed and you can tell why if you've ever sparred at 80% or harder.

It's a fucking joke and for you to be posters in the standup and actually discuss it seriously makes me reconsider reading this forum ever again.

Pick up boxing, wing chun is flawed and you can tell why if you've ever sparred at 80% or harder.

QFT

totally agree man, unfortunately there are alot of kids running around thinking they are ninja turtles and have the grandmasters secrets and can never use his skills or else we all die and the world ends.

It does seem this way. Most of the shit ive read about WC makes me go "wtf is this pussy bullshit"

Thats funny because most of the shit I've read from retards in this thread makes me go "who the fuck are these pussies to knock ANY martial art"

Before you rashly comment think for one second on who the fuck you are to judge any martial art.

Just because you watched every season of TUF and trained in a gym for the last year doesn't make you an expert on shit.
Grow up and gain some humility because you wont go anywhere in the martial art lifestyle with a closed minded attitude.

Back