Wing Chun working?

Why do WC guys hold their hands so far out in front of themselves? Seems really impractical.

Well...that answer will vary. I don't personally advocate lengthening the lead arm but each interpretation has its thing.

What you've got is man sao and wu sao (asking hand and guarding hand resp.). The asking hand is the first line of defense as an attack breaches your threat envelope, followed by the guarding hand just in case. Once an attack is bridged the asking and guard hand change roles a necessary. Typically--the lead hand probes, and provides an opening for the rear hand to attack. Other times the lead hand may attack using leverage to deflect while punching.

The main premise is that WC works off angles, leverage, and flowing with energy as opposed to working directly against it. It also works heavily with the sense of TOUCH. Having the lead hand act as a probe helps instinctive engagement when an attack is bridged.

Well...that answer will vary. I don't personally advocate lengthening the lead arm but each interpretation has its thing.

What you've got is man sao and wu sao (asking hand and guarding hand resp.). The asking hand is the first line of defense as an attack breaches your threat envelope, followed by the guarding hand just in case. Once an attack is bridged the asking and guard hand change roles a necessary. Typically--the lead hand probes, and provides an opening for the rear hand to attack. Other times the lead hand may attack using leverage to deflect while punching.

The main premise is that WC works off angles, leverage, and flowing with energy as opposed to working directly against it. It also works heavily with the sense of TOUCH. Having the lead hand act as a probe helps instinctive engagement when an attack is bridged.

That was a really clean explanation of the basic of WC defense. I don't normally see it so plainly put.

the fact he made it through the whole thing w/out getting stopped makes him more effective than 99% of the wing chun guys who do mix style matches; he wasn't spectacular, but he showed pretty good def (imo). That was throwing hard and throwing alot, the wing chun guy didnt' really get hit (clean) all that much.

This was under modified rules, full contact to the body semi to the head and legs... dude even got a point deducted for "excessive thigh contact" (LOL). I'm pretty sure he was pulling the headkicks. Sure, the WC guy showed some heart and pain resistance but he still lost pretty badly and took lots of kicks. I'm guessing if the rules allowed full contact kicks to the head one of those would have been a KO.

I'm not trying to bash WC, I'm just disappointed in this guy who is supposedly an expert in his art after 17 years of training. He had at least one good opportunity to get his chain punch working on the opponent's head when it was in range, yet he seemed to miss with every strike.

Back