Wing Chun working?

Its amusing how ignorant people are. Of course only applying wc techniques would get your ass kicked in the cage or on the street. Adding disciple and technique from the old arts and applying them to your own style will only make you that much more of a threat.. call me crazy. Having only one or a few styles makes you very.. bad-um tss, predictable!

None of these videos look very impressive, unfortunately. :icon_neut I was hoping for some ass-kicking. I'd bet on a journeyman-level boxer, karateka, taekwondoka, or nakmuay against any of these guys. Is it a problem in training methods? Or does the philosophy of Wing Chun just not work too well against other trained fighters?

Perhaps this not 100% related to the thread but I just stumbled upon this fight between a WC and Silat guy:

It's very interesting to see two very traditional practitioners clash in a MMA bout. I see the chain punching and it does swarm the opponent and makes him defend but still fails to really produce that "breaking down" KO that it's supposed to. Looks like one hard kick from the Silat guy has a greater effect in comparison.

What the crap did I just watch? Surely that was meant to be a joke.

That is the single worst example of someone trying to do WC I ever saw, Thought that the first time I saw it years ago, and still think it every time I see that clip.
C'mon they choose an amateur with a couple of years of pratice against a bigger fighters that used to fight.
The guy was a complete idiot to accept the fight.

C'mon they choose an amateur with a couple of years of pratice against a bigger fighters that used to fight.
The guy was a complete idiot to accept the fight.

The guy had craptastic basics, all of the WC reps just sucked in that event. Their basic skill sets were flawed.

You know, I realize it's very hard to believe that that wing chun works when all the "evidence" says otherwise.

However, for those that truly have an interest in seeing what the system has to offer--why don't you go and get first hand knowledge? Why not go to a school and train for a week? See what it's about, touch hands with the senior students and maybe even Sifu's...that's how you're going to really know what it's about.

Watching craptastic videos isn't going to do it. Even going over Allan Orr's video's--people will still make excuses saying "That's not WC that's Muay Thai, or that's not WC that's a karate kick!"

Martial arts consists of movements. Movements are based on human kinesiology. Styles are based on preferences set up by the founder and his/her successors. That's all there is to it. Wing chun is no less effective from a movement standpoint, regardless of its performance I'm the cage. It is a tool, just like other styles are tools. Use the tool incorrectly and you won't get the job done. You have to get intimate knowledge for proper understanding.

Last edited:
However, for those that truly have an interest in seeing what the system has to offer--why don't you go and get first hand knowledge? Why not go to a school and train for a week? See what it's about, touch hands with the senior students and maybe even Sifu's...that's how you're going to really know what it's about.

You know, I don't knock WC, I think the flurries are pretty useful in street fight scenarios, but for every "why don't you go to a WC school for a week and see it out for yourself" I equally hear "oh well you only went for a week, you didn't do enough WC to really understand how useful it is."

You know, I don't knock WC, I think the flurries are pretty useful in street fight scenarios, but for every "why don't you go to a WC school for a week and see it out for yourself" I equally hear "oh well you only went for a week, you didn't do enough WC to really understand how useful it is."

The reason I say that is because if you seek out high level WC, you can usually find it. Going to a mckwoon for WC and then saying it sucks is the same as going to a Mcdojo and saying karate sucks (though the latter understandably has more to back up its validity).

All I'm saying, is find someone to work with that's known to have proper skill. I'd personally love to train with Alan Orr, because he seems to have the most functional iteration of WC I've seen to date.

His ideas on WC are akin to my own--which was good to see because for a while I thought I was the only one who developed WC with the perspective I did.

Exactly, and for every "go find a proper WC guy and challenge him to a fight so he kicks your ass" I equally hear "oh you got the wrong WC guy". :p

Exactly, and for every "go find a proper WC guy and challenge him to a fight so he kicks your ass" I equally hear "oh you got the wrong WC guy". :p

I used to have a lot less respect for Kung-fu, till I met my Sifu who very politely made feel like a total newbie when we sparred. Since then I have found several other very good Sifu's and practitioners of Kung-fu. It seems to be that it is very hard to find the first good one, then after that it is like getting accepted in to a elite club becuase suddenly the good ones seem to just come out of the wood work.

you gotta go to China for the "real stuff"

I used to have a lot less respect for Kung-fu, till I met my Sifu who very politely made feel like a total newbie when we sparred. Since then I have found several other very good Sifu's and practitioners of Kung-fu. It seems to be that it is very hard to find the first good one, then after that it is like getting accepted in to a elite club tbecuase suddenly the good ones seem to just come out of the wood work.
This is true..once you meet one legit Guy you get introduced to all the people in that circle. As real recognize real and the guys who are legit wont tolerate guys who aren't. Luckily for me I met legit Kung Fu karate guys from the jump; so I never had that issue. But I get your point as I had friends who learner the hard way.

It's very interesting to see two very traditional practitioners clash in a MMA bout. I see the chain punching and it does swarm the opponent and makes him defend but still fails to really produce that "breaking down" KO that it's supposed to. Looks like one hard kick from the Silat guy has a greater effect in comparison.

And I get slammed for stating the 'obvious.'

KarateStylist

None of these videos look very impressive, unfortunately. :icon_neut I was hoping for some ass-kicking. I'd bet on a journeyman-level boxer, karateka, taekwondoka, or nakmuay against any of these guys. Is it a problem in training methods? Or does the philosophy of Wing Chun just not work too well against other trained fighters?

Everyone knows karate is better than Wing chun, and Boxing is better than karate.
I've learned from Sherdog's standup forum....

KarateStylist

don_t_feed_the_troll.jpg

Back