Wing Chun Sticky Hands and Judo Grip Fighting

wing chun has to be the purest garbage of all garbage. It's useless garbage that's so useless, even real garbage has more value than wing chun.

I took wing chun for a few years about four or five years ago, and I recently just started taking judo, and I noticed an interesting crossover.

During randori I decided to try to stop my partner from getting the grip they wanted and I noticed that it was just like the wing chun sticky hands exercise, and that because of my past experience, I was pretty good at it. Now my judo is still very poor, so I didn't really know how to take advantage of the fact that my opponent couldn't get a good grip, but I thought it was interesting.

Being that this is a grappling forum, I assume not everyone is familiar with sticky hands, so here's an illustration:

bruce2.jpg

You have your hands like in the picture to start, then roll them around each other in different ways while keeping your hands (or wrists or forearms) "stuck" to each other and try to get a dominant position and attack. It is often disparaged because someone with a boxing stance will simply not want to play your game, and you can't really force them to stay in the sticky hands range. Rather than being a range to stay in, it seems valuable as a way to transition from striking range to the clinch and ensure that you get the grips you want.

As I learn what grips I like in judo (right now I only really know the basic grip), I feel like all the time spent doing sticky hands back in my wing chun days might actually be pretty handy.

That's all. Just thought it was interesting how wing chun training was actually somewhat applicable to judo of all things.

Interesting. I think that's a pretty cool martial arts crossover. I know Matt Serra used to do wing chun. I wonder if it helped with his grip fighting.

wing chun has to be the purest garbage of all garbage. It's useless garbage that's so useless, even real garbage has more value than wing chun.

Chill dog. Sounds like you got burned by your old school. Personally, I don't think Wing chun is pure garbage. I've actually seen it work in a bar fight. More often than not, the guys who train and spar will be more effective than guys who don't. So even though it's not the optimal martial art, it still has it's place for self defense.

BTW, I've never practiced wing chun in my life. I just respect certain martial arts that I've seen work in real life. Another one that gets shit on often is TKD. I remember a child hood friend snap kicking a guy in the diaphragm and dropping him like a sack of shit. Did I burn through him in a friendly roll? Yes. But the guy can still handle himself for the most part.

Back