Wing Chun Sticky Hands and Judo Grip Fighting

Eddie Bravo took years of wing-chun and uses it to hand-fight for the twister. True fact.

But otherwise, I think it's one of those outmoded traditional TMA forms. Eastern culture is highly ritualized, hieratic and traditional. A lot of combat-useless stuff survived.

hayliks why are you talking about people doing worthless things when all you are doing is talking a bunch of shit on the internet?
Surely someone with as much worldly importance as you should be using his time and superpowers to do more important things like grapple meteors away from earth.

bafflemeant that is exactly how it can be used. Chi sao can be a very hard thing to do and maintain on someone standing, but when you are both on the ground the distance is closed and it stays closed. Then it comes down to energy redirection.. which is what chi sao is all about.

yea sure it might help your grappling but it's not effective as grappling itself.

I think it crosses over ok, but to a limit.
I train Judo with a couple of guys with Silat, Kung Fu, and Wing Chun-ish style backgrounds.
Again, the background serves them to a point, but what it seems to lack is the ability to get to a dominate grip. It's mostly seems to be defensive and a bit...showy.
So they manage to hold off the inevitable, which is the Judo guy establishing a dominate grip.
In the end it seems like too much time playing patty cake when just taking grips would suffice.

Eddie Bravo took years of wing-chun and uses it to hand-fight for the twister. True fact.

But otherwise, I think it's one of those outmoded traditional TMA forms. Eastern culture is highly ritualized, hieratic and traditional. A lot of combat-useless stuff survived.

I'm sure his YEARS of grappling wrestling and bjj studies under jean jacques had nothing to do with his twister development either

I'm sure his YEARS of grappling wrestling and bjj studies under jean jacques had nothing to do with his twister development either

Wow you are truly a humorless fuck, and you always adopt the worst possible interpretation of what anyone is saying.

hayliks, guys like you, guardpasser, Q mystic, Soid, Balto and Resendiz are always valued around here, but enough with the flaming. There are better ways to express your views with hostility outside of OT, however if guys in here can't do that, please go at it over in OT instead.

I personally found Whingh Chun pummeling to be very different from grip fighting, even in the basics like using a monkey grip rather than vice grip.

The hand and arm movements practiced in yong chun chuan are a great sensitivity exercise, same with tui shou in taijiquan. I think high levels of trained sensitivity can only help any martial art that it is adapted to.

My opinion on all this is that Wing Chun, as most traditional asian martial arts do, has a lot of crap in it (in regards to actual fighting situation), but also has things that can be beneficial.

About Chi Sao in particular,
-indeed it trains ur reflexes and gives u a feeling of ur opponent s moves, that s true...
- on the other hand, it brings the habit of keeping ur HANDS LOW, which will really get u knocked out
- also,on the other hand, it gives u the false illusion that open-hand strikes and finger strikes (for example to the ribs) can be effective. I believe that in 95% of the cases, they re crap, sorry.
For hand striking, only 1 thing is effective, and that s boxing, period.
Try to apply that Wing Chun stuff, and u ll get ur fingers broken.

That being said, some of the stuff u learned in Wing Chun will help u in many fighting styles, of course. As soon as u know that it s not completely efficient, and just see it as an ART and DISCIPLINE, then why not ???

Last thing : if u want to be good at grappling, just grapple.

LOL at somebody who did wing chun and is actually trying to say there is any bit of worth in it. fuck off you little diseased cunt

I would like to see you say that to Sifu Francis Fong. That would be interesting.

I think what hayliks is doing is 100% justified, atleast in this thread. Wing Chun wtf is that trash get that shit outta this forum.

C'mon, u guys r pretty rough on this kid...
Wing Chun is not 100% shit.......just approx 94,99% :icon_chee

Wing Chun isn't crap. When you meet a guy who actually knows what they are doing and has done a lot of contact sparring, it can be impressive. Knocking the OP for asking about crossover is ignorant. I think it was Carlson Gracie who used to do some seminars with a Wing Chun teacher and Carlson could probably school all you trash talkers and he's surfing with Jebus.

Back