Wing chun is a bad martial art.

P

pimpstrocity

After the other thread about aikido got derailed into a wing chun discussion I figured i'd come out and explain something to you kids that like wing chun. ITS A HORRIBLE FIGHTING SYSTEM.

One of the first arguements people make for most bullshit arts such as wing chun is, oh well we train to strike to the throat or groin!!@!!!1 and act like that makes them some street self defense god. Guess what you stupid fucking kids, you dont have to be trained to fight dirty. Anyone can go for the throat or groin and a good boxer, kickboxer, or mt guy will probably have better success then you targetting these points due to the intense training and sparring they do practicing their accuracy against a live opponent.

Second of all, this...

Want to explain what the fuck this is good for?

I have no problem with anyone that does any martial art, regardless of how good it is for whatever application it was designed for. But people need to be realistic about where they stand in life.

A good analogy, I dont care if you quarter squat on you leg work outs, I dont care if you quarter squat and think your the strongest guy in the gym, but if your gonna come and start running your mouth about how strong you are then you need to get put in your place because no one wants to hear your bullshit, and even worse people without knowledge of the subject dont need to learn the wrong things from you just because you like to stroke your own ego.

I'll leave with this...

Whatever works dude. If a person can pull it off then so be it. People used to say that about karate. Who's the undefeated champ? I wouldn't necessarily say that the system is useless as much as it's more dependent on how the school and the practitioner trains. Saying that you don't need to train to fight dirty is like saying you don't need to train to effectively use dirty boxing. Everything has their place, and you need to train hard to reach a desired outcome.

Great band though!

But in all seriousness, that's got to be the most ridiculous looking thing I've ever seen in my life.

It was a bad move to make this thread man... so not worth it.

Wing Chun was designed for brutal self-defense- in Asia. So was Aikido and Ninjutsu... Maybe Amerians just need to quit trying to adapt this stuff? Maybe we're screwing it up. I know we screwed up the two latter mentioned arts.

You know it always amazes me how people so definitively denounce an entire art, especially based on fucking youtube videos. There are schools that never stray from the curriculum created X years ago. Their are teachers who do nothing to advance their art, just advance their income. Like it or not though, there are "tradiational" martial arts schools with teachers who care about the future of their art. Who care about what they teach being practical. Who care about what they teach their students will actually help them defend themselves. These schools, these treachers change the art. They make it better. They seek the holes that did not present themselves 100 years ago but do now in modern times. I know such teachers. A martial art didn't start, and on day 1 be a complete art. Arts changed and grew and died every day. The problem now is they've stopped growing. Its important to teach the traditions and its important to change your art for the better.

Is a wing chun practitioner going to be able to dominate someone who trains MMA on a daily basis? No. I could sit here and say I've sparred full contact with Muay Thai guys, or boxing guys, or JKD guys and I've not yet been beat. You'd just say "Oh, they must have sucked." Maybe, but why couldn't it be that I've invested enough time in my art and been taught in a practical and modern environment that I can *actually* defend myself?

Haha tell that to bruce lee.

Seriously man - all martial arts - like religions - have some good ideas and some fuckin weird ones. Wanna tell Machida that karate is crap?

Believe me I love mma, trained with KID in Japan and train BJJ as often as possible now but I still have massive respect to traditional martial arts - find the good guys, I can find a thousand videos of idiots "mma sparring" on youtube, doesnt mean mma is a crock of shit or full of pussies, means that only idiots put vids on youtube.

By the way... as a question to the TS...

What is your take on Tai Chi?

Launching frost balls at your opponent sucks!

Hahaha tell that to whatever guy starred as Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat.See what I did there?

BTW, Bruce Lee himself said that WC leaves a lot to be desired.As an example he used a more western boxing stance.

Check out how effective wing chun is. It appears headlocks and overhands would work well. But I've never seen a Wing Chun master in action so perhaps this is not a top notch Wing Chun fighter in action.

YouTube - Mantis boxing vs Wing Chun

I don't remember how to post videos.

I don't train wing chun (I train Muay Thai and Boxing) and by no means am I an expert in it, but I do think their are some methods found in wing chun that can be applied to street and MMA scenarios.

As far as that first video you posted with all the hand motions, I do something similar. Its similar to tai chi and yoga in the effect that it helps you connect your mind to your body as well as developing strength in areas you don't even know existed. It also works well to loosen the joints after training and makes your wrist stronger. Those aren't techniques that are used in a fight it serves a different purpose.

I'm pretty sure the quality of training in Wing Chun varies from place to place. The more traditional being the less effective in real fight scenarios.

I've watched a few of this guys videos and I think their is a lot of legitimate shit he has to offer...

Launching frost balls at your opponent sucks!

Hahaha tell that to whatever guy starred as Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat.See what I did there?

BTW, Bruce Lee himself said that WC leaves a lot to be desired.As an example he used a more western boxing stance.

That part was a joke... hence the "seriously" that followed it.

Also boxing, MT, BJJ all leave a lot to be desired. Boxing stance gets your front leg broken with leg kicks, MT gets you punished by guys who can counter kicks and often puts you too close if you dont know how to ground fight, BJJ puts your balls near your opponents very pointy teeth.

Bruce lee used boxing punches and fencing footwork anyhow, not boxing "stance" - he got most of his education on boxing from Dempsey's and Haislett's texts and their stances were short with the front foot turned in. Not great for someone dealing with kicks.

Addition: you guys seen how many hand traps fedor, anderson and machida use. The correct answer is a fuckton.

The guy in the video posted by Snubnose is bullshido.net user Chinaboxer.His videos usually consider of him talking shit for 10 min, followed by some dead drills.He seems to have lots of experience in martial arts though.

Whatever works dude. If a person can pull it off then so be it. People used to say that about karate. Who's the undefeated champ? I wouldn't necessarily say that the system is useless as much as it's more dependent on how the school and the practitioner trains. Saying that you don't need to train to fight dirty is like saying you don't need to train to effectively use dirty boxing. Everything has their place, and you need to train hard to reach a desired outcome.

LOL....u are certainly a Karate junkie...undeafeated...he was worked and in the world's eyes (and 80% of the internet) he lost the decision. MT will prevail again and totally negate all of Mchida's Ryu style attacks.LOL> He looked confused in their first meeting.

You know what else looks stupid? Just about anyone on the planet Shadowboxing.

It was a bad move to make this thread man... so not worth it.

Wing Chun was designed for brutal self-defense- in Asia. So was Aikido and Ninjutsu... Maybe Amerians just need to quit trying to adapt this stuff? Maybe we're screwing it up. I know we screwed up the two latter mentioned arts.

or maybe these arts just weren't that good to begin with and with the recent increase in ability to transmit information and more competition between styles have created an environment where styles that aren't effective are exposed as such

Seriously man - all martial arts - like religions - have some good ideas and some fuckin weird ones. Wanna tell Machida that karate is crap?

Believe me I love mma, trained with KID in Japan and train BJJ as often as possible now but I still have massive respect to traditional martial arts - find the good guys, I can find a thousand videos of idiots "mma sparring" on youtube, doesnt mean mma is a crock of shit or full of pussies, means that only idiots put vids on youtube.

I didn't say anything negative karate, and fyi bruce lee ended up denouncing wing chun later in life.

Back