Wilson Pits student Roberto Sharpe shows 52 Blocks Lytye Burley some bagua applications

None that i know of

but what does this have to do with my post you quoted that centered on Cartmell?

I figured we were debating the efficacy of CMAs in actual fighting...Dan H and Roy Nelson seem to be legit fighters in the eyes of most people and I don't see much kung fu in their styles whatsoever (at least from a viewer's perspective). Don't follow BJJ or know much about Tim Cartmell but I figured I'd try to keep on topic, since the OP is talking about bagua and it's relation to actual fights.

You name dropped Cartmell, his level of respect in BJJ and his affinity for bagua so I replied with two guys who are well respected with proven track records in MMA that have an affinity for other CMAs, yet show none of those styles they studied in their actual fights. Maybe I'm just not seeing it though because I don't know what I'm looking for...

I figured we were debating the efficacy of CMAs in actual fighting...Dan H and Roy Nelson seem to be legit fighters in the eyes of most people and I don't see much kung fu in their styles whatsoever (at least from a viewer's perspective). Don't follow BJJ or know much about Tim Cartmell but I figured I'd try to keep on topic, since the OP is talking about bagua and it's relation to actual fights.

You name dropped Cartmell, his level of respect in BJJ and his affinity for bagua so I replied with two guys who are well respected with proven track records in MMA that have an affinity for other CMAs, yet show none of those styles they studied in their actual fights. Maybe I'm just not seeing it though because I don't know what I'm looking for...

the difference between cartmell and those guys is he didnt just stop by a government sponsored forms school as a teen or participate in some quacks school in his spare time. He spent years in china and taiwan with well regarded teachers, continued to practice and teach the styles along with bjj and has written extensively about his experiences and meshing of both.

If a bjj black belt and pan am winner says a style is worthwhile its good enough for me. i have over a year of bjj experience myself and while not some grappling guru i dont see anything inherently wrong with the standing wrestling in cma. alot of it is very judoesque.

Last edited:
the difference between cartmell and those guys is he didnt just stop by a government sponsored forms school as a teen or participate in some quacks school in his spare time. He spent years in china and taiwan with well regarded teachers, continued to practice and teach the styles along with bjj and has written extensively about his experiences and meshing of both.

If a bjj black belt and pan am winner says a style is worthwhile its good enough for me. i have over a year of bjj experience myself and while not some grappling guru i dont see anything inherently wrong with the standing wrestling in cma. alot of it is very judoesque.

standing wrestling in cma is actually legit af, lot of the guys who focus on that are actually pretty good at it; an i have seen them go to work on guys in open mats, now they didn't have much on the ground. But getting, defending and countering takedowns; those guys were legit.

in fact at a sambo school i went to one of the guys in there had an extensive b/g in cma grappling and i was told by all the guys who had been there that he was really tough on the feet BEFORE he really picked up any of the sambo..

The thing is they said that about "spinning shit" until it was landed. When I first started on this forum, front snap kicks were considered bs now we see a few thrown regularly every event. The last decade or so of MMA has gradually shown us that more things work than we used to assume. They're still low percentage stuff vs. high percentage stuff but I don't truly write off anything that doesn't violate the rule set, like small digit manipulation.

just depends on execution and the skills you have to enable you the freedom and technical line of defense if and when you use a particular tech..

at one point in mma jabs were considered useless, samething w/side kicks, spinning kicks, hell at one point boxing was considered useless.. BOXING...

Back