Wilson Pits student Roberto Sharpe shows 52 Blocks Lytye Burley some bagua applications

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score

Burley likes to encorporate bagua, tai chi and xing yi(i believe) in his boxing style. what do you think?

Burley likes to encorporate bagua, tai chi and xing yi(i believe) in his boxing style. what do you think?

You already know what we think. Just let it go buddy, I also wanted all that stuff to be true and work, but Chinese movies are just still movies.

You already know what we think. Just let it go buddy, I also wanted all that stuff to be true and work, but Chinese movies are just still movies.
not true, there are people on here who respect wilson pitts and 52 blocks and others who have practiced kung fu who spar full contact. plenty of karate and tkd moves originated in kung fu so I don't see why some of it wouldnt work.

not true, there are people on here who respect wilson pitts and 52 blocks and others who have practiced kung fu who spar full contact. plenty of karate and tkd moves originated in kung fu so I don't see why some of it wouldnt work.

You're comparing full contact sports that by themselves aren't THAT good at fighting (like TKD) that can easily be incorporated into mma striking due to their competitive sport nature...

To NON contact LARPING that so far has no known basis on reality other than simulated "i do this, you do that" movements.

I like Sanshou for instance, they dropped a ton of their Art and focused on the Martial parts that work. And it ended up looking like kickboxing with takedowns.

You're comparing full contact sports that by themselves aren't THAT good at fighting (like TKD) that can easily be incorporated into mma striking due to their competitive sport nature...

To NON contact LARPING that so far has no known basis on reality other than simulated "i do this, you do that" movements.

I like Sanshou for instance, they dropped a ton of their Art and focused on the Martial parts that work. And it ended up looking like kickboxing with takedowns.
They are doing a drill. The purpose of it is to demonstrate and teach the technique. Some kung practioners do spar and compete in combat sports.
Untitled-2.jpg

They are doing a drill. The purpose of it is to demonstrate and teach the technique. Some kung practioners do spar and compete in combat sports.
Untitled-2.jpg

I dislike it when people are being close-minded to my ideas especially when I have facts to back them up, and they're just full of cognitive dissonance which keeps them from being unable to even try to understand my ideas.

So I will be open minded to your belief on these moves that we don't see in fighting.

So if you could please direct me towards actual proof, video proof of these moves being done at 100% in competition, I would appreciate it.

I dislike it when people are being close-minded to my ideas especially when I have facts to back them up, and they're just full of cognitive dissonance which keeps them from being unable to even try to understand my ideas.

So I will be open minded to your belief on these moves that we don't see in fighting.

So if you could please direct me towards actual proof, video proof of these moves being done at 100% in competition, I would appreciate it.
You made generalizations about kung fu even though there are kung fu fighters who use kung fu techniques in combat sports. If you think the techniques in the video don't work just say that. Some people here do respect WIlson Pitts and Lyte Burley.

Last edited:
im open minded to most martial arts and I know you know that Jimmy. Im not a fan of kung fu, but its better than nothing i suppose. However just knowing how to throw a proper 1-2 is probably better than kung fu.

lets take tai chi for example. I think doing tai chi would be beneficial for body control and movement. Is it practical for fighting, no. However the benefit of it "controlling your body", is beneficial for fighting. So it is indirectly beneficial for fighting.

Last edited:
im open minded to most martial arts and I know you know that Jimmy. Im not a fan of kung fu, but its better than nothing i suppose. However just knowing how to throw a proper 1-2 is probably better than kung fu.

I understand your skepticism. Personally though I have sparred kung fu guys and they were about the same as any other tma guy I've sparred from tkd or karate. Better in some respects and not as good in others.

I understand your skepticism. Personally though I have sparred kung fu guys and they were about the same as any other tma guy I've sparred from tkd or karate. Better in some respects and not as good in others.

i just edited my post, take a look at it

i just edited my post, take a look at it
yeah I hear you bro. The thing is some kung fu is straight forward. I've seen you are interested in tkd and karate, and most of the techniques in those two arts are present in kung fu and alot of it came from kung fu. I believe most of the cool kicks Frode uses are from his time in kung fu.

to be honest, i didnt know much about kung fu, other than whimsical nonsene or at least thats what comes to mind.

I just did some searching, the kicks look to be similar to many in TKD etc. So I learned something new.

this right here is nonsense. Theoretically speaking, its not impossible. Yes it could definitely work, but its not realistic. it would be extremely difficult to time and elbow someones punch coming in. its not impossible, it could be done, that being said, its not impossible to do a spinning back elbow onto someones punch coming in as well. Its possible, but not realistic. this is how I think we should look at things. Some martial arts turn into nonsense and become very flashy etc. I like to call these fantasy martial arts. It draws in the same type of people that like star wars, lord of the rings, larping, etc etc.

@Jimmy Jazz

this right here is nonsense. Theoretically speaking, its not impossible. Yes it could definitely work, but its not realistic. it would be extremely difficult to time and elbow someones punch coming in. its not impossible, it could be done, that being said, its not impossible to do a spinning back elbow onto someones punch coming in as well. Its possible, but not realistic. this is how I think we should look at things. Some martial arts turn into nonsense and become very flashy etc. I like to call these fantasy martial arts. It draws in the same type of people that like star wars, lord of the rings, larping, etc etc.

@Jimmy Jazz

haha yeah I see what you are saying. Master Wong is I don't think regarded as real kung fu. I'm not saying they are combat sport fighters but they bring interesting things that can be learned from. Some are definitely as good as your quality karate or tkd fighter is all I'm saying.

Tim Cartmell is highly respected in the BJJ community and has speaks highly of Bagua and uses it along with other chinese arts for his stand up grappling to compliment his BJJs ground work. If he sees something worthwhile in the art to the point of spending time in china learning it i think its naive to throw the style out as fantasy fu.

Jesus Christ. This stuff should get ZERO respect on this forum. It's crouching tiger hidden dagger bullshit with a ghetto spin put on it to market to people in the "hood."

Just to highlight

fantasy fu bagua

practical bagua

See

I'm still waiting for my video showing Bagua being effective

Go find Tims pan am matches he used the grappling from the chinese styles when standing. the guy in the 5th video also has a sanda team that competes as well as there being other small groups of sanda bagua guys on youtube.

I dunno whats to scoff at i showed you videos where they are breaking down the forms directly and showing throws and arm drags you see in other wrestling styles as well as stepping patterns common in boxing/kickboxing. It says youre a sanda guy as well on your profile so its odd you seem skeptical and takedowns and footwork you see commonly in the sport.

and if you say it looks like kickboxing and doesnt count then <LikeReally5>

Back