Willie Monroe Jr vs Billy Joe Saunders Saturday?

The Can Opener

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I had no idea this fight was even happening. I know we all shit on Saunders for his lack of fighting anyone ever but does Monroe have a real shot here? This isn't on american TV either is it? I dunno what BT Sport is.

Via Fightnews...

Willie Monroe Jr is prepared to make Billy Joe Saunders pay for shouting his mouth off. The two southpaws battle it out for Billy Joe’s WBO middleweight crown at London’s Copper Box Arena on Saturday night, live on BT Sport and BoxNation. Saunders has been shooting from the lip in the build-up, questioning the manner of Monroe’s loss against Gennady Golovkin in May 2015. Saunders says Monroe Jr went down too easy under pressure.

“Billy Joe is a good fighter, but his talking is going to make his ass whipping worse,” warned 30-year-old Monroe Jr. “That was 2015. This is 2017. I’m not here to dwell on the past. I gave a good account of myself, but at that moment he may have been too big of a moment for me.

“The moment shook me up more than the fight. When you step into an arena and you have 15,000 fans and 14,990 are for the guy you’re fighting. That moment can shake you up. I’m human. I’ve always been humble.

“I’ve had a 12 week camp for Billy Joe, but I only got six weeks notice for Golovkin and I also had Thompson and Rosado I had short camps. I never had big backers and money guys in my corner to make things happen. So when a shot like that come up you take it.

“Billy Joe has had a great promoter like Frank Warren in his corner. All the fights have been in his own back yard. He hasn’t had to go into a lion’s den with all these screaming fans against him.”

I knew it was on but I'm in the UK so I guess I would, it's got Anthony Yarde and Daniel Dubois fighting too so anyone unhappy about the GGG/Canelo undercard should watch this first.

Saunders is looking ripped a week out from the fight

Monroe is limited (essentially anyone who is a decent pressure fighter will beat him, I think, as he's very easy to back up to the ropes and he lacks the punch to consistently keep anyone off), but he matches up fairly well with Saunders. His jab, which is by far the best part of his game, could prove to be decisive in this matchup.

Saunders is a bit of a fraud waiting to be found out

I wont be suprised if monroe wins. Like
Literally not in the slightest

Bjs is a bigger cunt than Oprah's 10cm dilated, gaping minge. I usually don't hate fighters personally but this guy s a cunt of epic proportions.

Bjs is a bigger cunt than Oprah's 10cm dilated, gaping minge. I usually don't hate fighters personally but this guy s a cunt of epic proportions.

Why dont you tell us how you really feel?

I knew it was on but I'm in the UK so I guess I would, it's got Anthony Yarde and Daniel Dubois fighting too so anyone unhappy about the GGG/Canelo undercard should watch this first.

Saunders is looking ripped a week out from the fight

Saunders is a buffoon famous for blowing up in weight between fights & generally being a fat fuck; I was ringside the night he beat Chris Eubank Jr (who's massively over-rated, BTW) & he only (just) did that because of the gameplan instilled in him via Jimmy Tibbs, Nigel Benn's old trainer.

Saunders' new trainer is former bodybuilder (& son of Naz trainer Brendan) Dominic Ingle, who, despite lacking Tibbs' acumen & know-how, looks like this at fifty-ish:

DJc0JNEWsAEv1HJ.jpg

Ingle's other charge, Kid Galahad, was caught & banned for several years for steroids (he's coming back soon, he got one of those wonderful "retroactive" bans).

& Saunders suddenly looks like an Adonis, scant months after joining Ingle? Curiouser & curiouser, said Alice...

Anyway, casting potentially libellous assertions aside, though I'm the same ethnicity as Saunders I hope he loses to Monroe. He's shit to watch, talks utter shit & bitched out of the Golovkin fight (the one Brook ended up taking).

Back