Will we ever see another Anderson Silva?

Jon Jones is still young enough that if he keeps winning, he'll surpass Anderson Silva's record of consecutive UFC wins and legacy as Greatest of All Time.

People keep exaggerating Spider´s ground skills. Being the best at Chuteboxe on the ground doesnt mean u´re that great.

Pelé´s prime was during the obscure Vale Tudo years... People forgot about him...

before he lost to weidman, every fighter that was able to take and keep him down in the ufc got submitted.

Silva is one in human kind and I'm not being sarcastic. Watching his highlights on YouTube is what got me to follow the sport

Eerily close to my own story. My brother told me about him and had me look up his KO of Tony Fryklund on Youtube. The rest, as they say, is history.

before he lost to weidman, every fighter that was able to take and keep him down in the ufc got submitted.
yeah, but u forgot how he got schooled in Pride, by Takase & Chonan.

yeah, but u forgot how he got schooled in Pride, by Takase & Chonan.

true, but he really came into his own in the ufc and when faced with adversity was still able to finish fights on the ground. I consider his ufc run until the weidman loss his prime, maybe that;s incorrect I dunno, maybe I'm biased since I got into mma basically right when anderson started fighting in the ufc. largely because of his highlights.

Anderson Silva is the greatest of all time.

Far surpasses Fedor, GSP, hell, whoever....

It sucks because no, I don't think we are going to see that talent again in our lifetime :(

venom page is pretty crazy to watch.
still needs to be tested on tougher opponents though
but dude is crazy to watch

true, but he really came into his own in the ufc and when faced with adversity was still able to finish fights on the ground. I consider his ufc run until the weidman loss his prime, maybe that;s incorrect I dunno, maybe I'm biased since I got into mma basically right when anderson started fighting in the ufc. largely because of his highlights.
ok. I feel UFC was a better org for him, I dont believe he would have had the same potential "GOAT" carreer in Pride, u couldnt "protect" ur carreer there.

venom page is pretty crazy to watch.
still needs to be tested on tougher opponents though
but dude is crazy to watch
he´s still raw, fought nobody, true, but his footwork is impressive, and U could notice that he´s already working on his submission game..

It depends how long you live. There will eventually be fighters that surpass yesterdays and today's best.

IMO Anderson was in his prime when he lost to Chonan but not to Weidman.

I'd say something like Lee Murray to Yushin Okami was his prime. 2004-2011.

Chonan was getting destroyed when he landed a-once-in-a-lifetime submission. Respect to him, but let's not act like he does that everyday.
talkin´about Spider´s ground game, not about the fight.

There will never be another Anderson Silva.

The GOAT is once in a lifetime. Conor is a great striker though and although he may never reach Anderson's level, he'll be the closest.

Name one fighter that trains to defend a flying scissor heel hook.
look at the big picture: Spider was then a fake skinny WW, Takase & Chonan were realistically LWs.

I actually respect these 2 fighters, solid fighters, often fought at openweight.. but u cant say Spider had a great ground game if he got schooled twice by 2 LWs.

The truth is: he had potentially the best ground game at ChuteBoxe.. But that cant be a measuring stick.

In Pride, Bas started to sell the idea that Spider had a great ground game.

I sincerely doubt that he saw Spider in Mecca or other Vale Tudo events in Brazil.

look at the big picture: Spider was then a fake skinny WW, Takase & Chonan were realistically LWs.

I actually respect these 2 fighters, solid fighters, often fought at openweight.. but u cant say Spider had a great ground game if he got schooled twice by 2 LWs.

The truth is: he had potentially the best ground game at ChuteBoxe.. But that cant be a measuring stick.

In Pride, Bas started to sell the idea that Spider had a great ground game.

I sincerely doubt that he saw Spider in Mecca or other Vale Tudo events in Brazil.

I still disagree on the Chonan point, but overall a good post. Agree to disagree.

I started following MMA due to Brock Lesnar, Silva was the one who kept me watching. Love that guy.

Back