Will Tyron Woodley go down as the best welterweight in history?

trentthesomalian

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
He's beaten four of the best welterweights in recent history: Condit, Lawler, Thompson, and Maia.

Who does he face after this? Masvidal? The only blatant gaffe in his resume is the MacDonald fight. Who's gonna beat this dude? Colby? Magny? Lawler in a rematch? I could really only see Masvidal outmaneuvering him or maybe Gastelum coming down and beating him.

But other than that, this guy has all the tools to defend his belt for many years.

Depends how long he can keep these W's going.

He'll definitely go down as the least liked.

I think GSP will hold the WW GOAT title for many years, but Woodley is certainly in the Top 10. Few more defenses, and he will be level with Miletich; then Hughes; then, who knows?

He ALREADY is.

-Brutalized the most brutal champ in WW history(Lawler)

-Outstruck the best WW Striker TWICE (Wonderlad)

-Out gameplanned the most cerebral fighter in WW History(Maia)

Woodley is WW GOAT. If GSP disputes this, he's always welcome to bring his pillow and get #SLEPT

(Which we KNOW he won't)

tyron-woodley-post-ufc-209-belt.jpg

If we are going strictly by the numbers then Woodley has to defend his belt 7 more times to surpass GSP. Possible? Sure. Probable? No.

You can argue he is 2nd or 3rd best at this point... maybe. GSP has dominated that division for so long that at the moment he has his claim on lockdown. Belts seem to change hands more than ever now as well.

Most boring. Biggest whiner. Best Talcum X impression. Maybe. Best Welterweight in history? Nah.

Give it time.

His resume is getting up there.

Before juicehead Marquardt gif - remember GSP tapped to strikes from Meatball Matt Serra.

No hell go down as Tim Sylvia of welterweight division. Boring as fuck, fighting safe, reigning supreme in a weak ass division after getting one nice win.

He ALREADY is.

-Brutalized the most brutal champ in WW history(Lawler)

-Outstruck the best WW Striker TWICE (Wonderlad)

-Out gameplanned the most cerebral fighter in WW History(Maia)

Woodley is WW GOAT. If GSP disputes this, he's always welcome to bring his pillow and get #SLEPT

(Which we KNOW he won't)

tyron-woodley-post-ufc-209-belt.jpg

The only people getting slept in GSP vs Tyrone are the audience boyo

He's beaten four of the best welterweights in recent history: Condit, Lawler, Thompson, and Maia.

Who does he face after this? Masvidal? The only blatant gaffe in his resume is the MacDonald fight. Who's gonna beat this dude? Colby? Magny? Lawler in a rematch? I could really only see Masvidal outmaneuvering him or maybe Gastelum coming down and beating him.

But other than that, this guy has all the tools to defend his belt for many years.

zgz5p_s-200x150.gif
Condit was injured and the fight incomplete legit ww, Thompson is not one of the best WW's he's flash with little substance he deserved to lose to Woodley he fought scared both times. Lawler & Maia are very legit ww's, Woodley as a long way to go before any WW GOAT talk.

The answer if almost definitely no.

GSP was WW king from 06-13 with the one loss to Serra and the split decision with Hendricks being his only close fights (save Koscheck 1)

I love Woodley but his last 5 fights have been:

D - Gastelum via Split Decision
D - Lawler via KO (RD 1)
- Majority Draw with Wonderboy (with one scorecard going Woodley's way)
D - Wonderboy via Majority Draw
D - Maia via unanimous decision

I think Woodley is great but I don't think his Resume holds a Candle to GSP's.

Back