Will there ever be another truly iconic slasher villain?

G

Guestx

It seems like the only slasher villains who have become widely known in popular culture are decades old at this point.

Freddy, Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, I guess if you want to count him Ghostface from Scream. . .

While there have been slasher films in the past 15 or 20 years that had other villains, none of those guys penetrated popular consciousness like the aforementioned guys did. Will we ever see another slasher villain who becomes truly iconic? Or are those days forever in the past?

No but mainly because the slasher genre has long been dead.

The time we got our iconic slashers were the times the slasher genre was hot.

Ghostface brought it back for a brief period only because Scream was something we never saw before.

There have been some good "Horror/Slasher" in the past decade to 2 decades though but since the genre is not as popular as it once was they don't get talked about much as the days the Icons ruled the horror genre. The Creeper from Jeepers Creepers is a good "Horror Icon" if you don't consider him a slasher and Victor Crowley is probably the best recent one.

No but mainly because the slasher genre has long been dead.

The time we got our iconic slashers were the times the slasher genre was hot.

Ghostface brought it back for a brief period only because Scream was something we never saw before.

There have been some good "Horror/Slasher" in the past decade to 2 decades though but since the genre is not as popular as it once was they don't get talked about much as the days the Icons ruled the horror genre. The Creeper from Jeepers Creepers is a good "Horror Icon" if you don't consider him a slasher and Victor Crowley is probably the best recent one.

I thought about Jeepers Creepers, as it's one of the better known franchises post-2000, but I bet if you showed his picture to a hundred people on the street, not more than 10% would know who he is. You can show Freddy/Jason/MM to almost anybody though and they'll know.

As for the genre being dead, you know how life is, everything goes in cycles. The slasher genre may come back around at some point and grab hold of people's imaginations again.

The slasher genre may come back around at some point and grab hold of people's imaginations again.

slashers were big because at the time, stab rates were way up
Creepy little girl movies hit it big after, due to girl influx into the country

Yes. People like horror. Just need someone to come along and add some creativity. Scream and Saw did and the rewards were evident.

Everyone having smart phones and guns now sort of killed the genre

Was Michael always as popular?

As far as I remember late 80s Freddy and Jason were way above Michael, especially after H3 and MM being inactve for most of the 80s and the franchise never embracing gore.

It seems to me like Micheal actually beneffited from the post Scream revival with H20 and later the wave of slashers in the 2000s with the Zombie remakes. Same for Leatherface who entered more mainstream recognition with the 3 remakes in the 2000s.

I feel the next slasher to become a Icon could be a old character to get revisited by new films instead of a completly new one.

Not a film but I thought that The Following started off really interesting and had a bit of buzz before quickly cooling off.

If so it would have to be a small independent film i think. I dont see the studios taking a risk on something like this anytime soon. Hollywood sucks nowadays

I thought about Jeepers Creepers, as it's one of the better known franchises post-2000, but I bet if you showed his picture to a hundred people on the street, not more than 10% would know who he is. You can show Freddy/Jason/MM to almost anybody though and they'll know.

As for the genre being dead, you know how life is, everything goes in cycles. The slasher genre may come back around at some point and grab hold of people's imaginations again.
The slasher genre always makes a comeback.

No, there won't. Only because when the iconic villains were conceived of, the slasher flick was a new and novel genre. So everything was original. Now, any slasher movie is just reading from the book they wrote, and so any villain is just seen as an attempt to create that which has already been created, and rightfully so.

Back