Will Rizin become big as Pride and compete with Ufc?

Yrat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Back in 2004 Pride was the best and had their peak 2005, the best Hwa fought in Pride back then

The question is will Rizin try to become what Pride was but in the female divisions? If Rizin tried to promote at 115 lbs grand prix with 1,000,000 $ it could give an attention to have Joanna, Paige van Zant, Gadelha, angela lee, Jessica Andrade, Syuri Kondo and many more

Also Rizin will keep doing that tekken fight to bring a new audience that Ufc will miss nobody cares about the Ufc games

Idk man. Right now RIZIN is having trouble finding an audience. There was the typhoon to consider, but their last card was amazing on paper (and in reality), but it didn't garner ratings that were really much better than their previous cards, or at least not what they were looking for. It has been hinted that if they don't start getting some major ratings that Fuji TV might pull the plug, and without them they are likely to fold.

However... DAZN is huge in Japan. DAZN is adding org after org to their roster of content. DAZN is paying big bucks for streaming rights. RIZIN making a deal with DAZN may be inevitable, especially if Fuji TV decides they don't want to broadcast RIZIN events beyond this coming NYE. Factor in that Bellator and Coker have made it clear that they want to begin co-promoting events with RIZIN again, which, if both were streaming events on DAZN, would make a ton of sense for all three parties and make the inevitable DAZN/RIZIN deal even more inevitable. If RIZIN makes the deal with DAZN it would have probably another three years (with an option for five) to operate, at the least.

A women's 115 GP with the names you posted? Idk. With $1mil up for grabs, maybe. But it would be hard for RIZIN to lure in all or even some of the names you mentioned. And their deal is finding native stars. Rena is a failed attempt. Kana might have some star power, especially if she learns to strike and becomes more well rounded and keeps winning (she will need to be well rounded to be the best). RIZIN would want probably a few more local names in that pool, I'm sure. I just don't think they'd be able, nor really want, to lure Claudia and JJ and PVZ away from the UFC, and Lee won't be leaving ONE either. I'm sure if any if them were interested that they'd take them, I don't see them attempting to poach them from different orgs, especially en masse.

What RIZIN CAN do is what the previous Japanese orgs (and RIZIN, to a point) have been amazing at doing, finding NEW talent with a bright future. Japan knows talent. They find unknown fighters with talent, guys like Bibi Fernandes, who have the upside to become world class talent in the future. That is more their MO, and rather than attempt to bring in current, in their primes, name fighters, I believe they'd try to find prospects who are unknowns and make them into stars.

Could they find success and become a huge organization? It isn't outside the realm of possibility. But in order to put themselves in position to do that, they need to survive.

IMO, it hinges on DAZN and Fuji. If they can maintain deals with both, outlook is bright.

The MMA context is completely different now from what it was back then. MMA was never huge in Japan but at least it was one of a number of combat sports fighting about attention. At the moment it is a minor thing and female MMA is even smaller. Not to mention that the aura PRIDE had is impossible to recreate. Rizin would need 5-6 big stars to crossover from judo or whatever and become dominant for Japan to care imo.

Sakakibara did an AMA on Reddit and candidly said that Rizin is slowing growing but not at the pace he expected.

"Is the growth in rizin what you and the investors have predicted? Is everything on course"

"I thought we could have been where we are right now a lot sooner. Rome wasn’t built in a day."

Rizin's embedded type shows are really well produced & it's a good change of pace from other promotions. More emphasis on entertainment, honor & respect with a slight sense of irony & low key humor. If they partnered with DAZN I think that would be great if they can put the content up to watch any time.

Is Rizin even bigger than ONE at this point? The partnership with Bellator will definitely help but it's a long ways to go, UFC is miles and miles ahead.

No. A big part of PRIDE's relative success was the fighters it had. Rizin doesn't have much of a shot of having 2 or 3 of the most talented divisions in the sport, especially the HW division. I hope they do well and continue to grow, but a PRIDE environment will never happen again so long as the UFC has 90+% of the top talent in the sport. Even if you feel the UFC doesn't have that much talent, the perception is that they do, and that is what matters in gaining interest.

No. A big part of PRIDE's relative success was the fighters it had. Rizin doesn't have much of a shot of having 2 or 3 of the most talented divisions in the sport, especially the HW division. I hope they do well and continue to grow, but a PRIDE environment will never happen again so long as the UFC has 90+% of the top talent in the sport. Even if you feel the UFC doesn't have that much talent, the perception is that they do, and that is what matters in gaining interest.
We dont know if this is true or not. Looking at PRIDE, they created most of their stars out of thin air. RIZIN CAN do that too, and they're doing it now, albeit slowly.

Would love to see Rizin grow to be the next PRIDE. They have the amazing production and best rules in MMA (PRIDE rules plus elbows). They are my favorite org. already but their roster needs to build. Coker is talking about a fight between Caldwell and Horiguchi. Would be unreal to see that fight. Then we would know who truly is the top BW outside UFC.

Idk man. Right now RIZIN is having trouble finding an audience. There was the typhoon to consider, but their last card was amazing on paper (and in reality), but it didn't garner ratings that were really much better than their previous cards, or at least not what they were looking for. It has been hinted that if they don't start getting some major ratings that Fuji TV might pull the plug, and without them they are likely to fold.

However... DAZN is huge in Japan. DAZN is adding org after org to their roster of content. DAZN is paying big bucks for streaming rights. RIZIN making a deal with DAZN may be inevitable, especially if Fuji TV decides they don't want to broadcast RIZIN events beyond this coming NYE. Factor in that Bellator and Coker have made it clear that they want to begin co-promoting events with RIZIN again, which, if both were streaming events on DAZN, would make a ton of sense for all three parties and make the inevitable DAZN/RIZIN deal even more inevitable. If RIZIN makes the deal with DAZN it would have probably another three years (with an option for five) to operate, at the least.

A women's 115 GP with the names you posted? Idk. With $1mil up for grabs, maybe. But it would be hard for RIZIN to lure in all or even some of the names you mentioned. And their deal is finding native stars. Rena is a failed attempt. Kana might have some star power, especially if she learns to strike and becomes more well rounded and keeps winning (she will need to be well rounded to be the best). RIZIN would want probably a few more local names in that pool, I'm sure. I just don't think they'd be able, nor really want, to lure Claudia and JJ and PVZ away from the UFC, and Lee won't be leaving ONE either. I'm sure if any if them were interested that they'd take them, I don't see them attempting to poach them from different orgs, especially en masse.

What RIZIN CAN do is what the previous Japanese orgs (and RIZIN, to a point) have been amazing at doing, finding NEW talent with a bright future. Japan knows talent. They find unknown fighters with talent, guys like Bibi Fernandes, who have the upside to become world class talent in the future. That is more their MO, and rather than attempt to bring in current, in their primes, name fighters, I believe they'd try to find prospects who are unknowns and make them into stars.

Could they find success and become a huge organization? It isn't outside the realm of possibility. But in order to put themselves in position to do that, they need to survive.

IMO, it hinges on DAZN and Fuji. If they can maintain deals with both, outlook is bright.

Since Rizin did that tekken thing that can pay more attention for e sport gamers which means they can have a new audience who will watch Rizin to support gamers

We all know e sport is going to stay for a long time for teenagers today, people who are born - 00 barely watch mma at all

I doubt it. Not enough high end talent.

PRIDE was excellent in recruiting talent and Rizin is more about getting castoffs, loaners from other organizations and getting their mitts on the small talent pool that is in Japan.

MMA was never huge in Japan

giphy.gif

Back in 2004 Pride was the best and had their peak 2005, the best Hwa fought in Pride back then

The question is will Rizin try to become what Pride was but in the female divisions? If Rizin tried to promote at 115 lbs grand prix with 1,000,000 $ it could give an attention to have Joanna, Paige van Zant, Gadelha, angela lee, Jessica Andrade, Syuri Kondo and many more

Also Rizin will keep doing that tekken fight to bring a new audience that Ufc will miss nobody cares about the Ufc games
What happened to your guy in a bear suit av

No.

I mean, have they even surpassed DREAM's peak yet?

Did DREAM even really have a peak? I guess the first year or so before they stopped paying people.

Baseball was huge. MMA was moderately big at best. But K1 was definitely bigger than Pride. People now seem to think Pride was some kind of mega success in Japan. Most average Japanese had no idea who Fedor or the other foreign ”stars” were...

I don't think people understand that the UFC made more revenue with the last Conor PPV alone than Pride had revenue for their best year or at least very close.

So no, Rizin or any other org will never rival the UFC. That time has past in history without a complete failure with in the UFC. If that happens, then MMA as a whole will probably take a 25 year step back into time.

P.S.: Rizin seems to be nothing more than trying to put a on a few shows a year to make some coin for a handful of people and that is it. They can talk all they want about the big picture but what they end up doing is on a very small level.

Back