Will Most UFC Fighters End Up with Brain Damage?

How many UFC fighters do you think will eventually have some kind of brain damage?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Recent fights including Bisping vs. Gastelum, Yancy Medeiros vs. Alex Oliveira, Brown vs. Sanchez and Overeem vs. Ngannou have brought the subject of brain damage back to the news, including comments from a concerned neurologist.

Former UFC fighter Tim Hague died in June after suffering a traumatic brain injury in a knockout loss.

A related but different thread is whether the UFC and refs are doing enough to protect fighters. Here and now the question is:

Do you think most fighters will get some kind of brain damage?

I went with "Some" because that line between "Some" and "Many" is hard to determine for me.

What is "many?" Half?

Definitely most. Having one concussion is terrible. Imagine making a career out of them.

I can’t see how anyone can answer anything but all. People with perfectly healthy lives get alzheimer, dementia and other diseases and you think a guy that gets punched in the face for a living won’t end up with brain damage?

I say all of them end up with some form of damage. The brain is fragile and doesn’t heal once damaged. All pro fighters have had at least a couple of concussions throughout their careers and that shit ain’t good for the brain

Well, the best study of retired NFL players done to date found that about a third had signs that could be associated with CTE. While there are a lot of variables, I would guess that fighters have an increased risk, i.e. more hits/damage taken over time, no helmet, even more incentive to compete when concussed, etc. My personal guess would be at least half of fighters.

Not nearly as much as in boxing, Some guys styles is to avoid getting hit ,or even avoiding getting into any striking exchanges. - Excerpt from the magazine "DUH"

Recent fights including Bisping vs. Gastelum, Yancy Medeiros vs. Alex Oliveira, Brown vs. Sanchez and Overeem vs. Ngannou have brought the subject of brain damage back to the news, including comments from a concerned neurologist.

Former UFC fighter Tim Hague died in June after suffering a traumatic brain injury in a knockout loss.

A related but different thread is whether the UFC and refs are doing enough to protect fighters. Here and now the question is:

Just like with any combat sport, it depends...

There are plenty of boxers who are fine now...while there are a lot of boxers who aren't...

Definitely most. Having one concussion is terrible. Imagine making a career out of them.
That scares me. I've had at least two concussions. Last one from a couple years ago still causes me problems..

Since it could simply be 'some kind' then they will have all sustained brain damage.

I say most will... Most ufc fighters are not just ufc fighters. It took most of these guys many fights in other organizations before they ever fought for ufc.counting sparring and normal mma fights they are gunna end up damaged

Considering that a recent study has revealed that 99% of deceased NFL players' brains showed signs of CTE, I doubt that the percentage of fighters is too far behind. This study is inconclusive though because there has not yet been a definitive study on healthy, living NFL athletes or healthy, living former NFL athletes.

It's obvious that brain damage among fighters will be much higher than the general population though. Anyone who argues with that is an idiot.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html

I’m surprised athletes don’t have to sign a CTE waiver recognizing combat sports cause brain damage before fighting with the UFC.

They're mostly going to get punched retarded but fer chrissakes keep it on the down low...

shhhhh_keep_it_down_walking_dead.gif

We don't want them to stop or anything :cool:

I'd say most, especially if the old guard is any indication.

Totally depends on how and who you fight. Some fighters go far longer than others without taking a lot of damage.

I'll go most. I'd be surprised if getting repeatedly hit in the head for a large portion of my life didn't give me brain damage.

Back