Will Max's corner throw in the towel ?

Roljo

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Just watched Khabib vs Barboza. The brazilian was game but after the first round he had to be helped up to his feet and the first minute+ of the second round his legs were still wobbly, he clearly had a concussion at that point.
636502775560660357-2017-12-30-Khabib2.jpg

The mauling continued in the second round and by then everybody knew the outcome of the fight but Barboza held in there and got to the decision. Pretty sure he paid for it with some long term damage and probably years off his career. Kind of sad.

Max is young and dominant, when this will be happening to him, should his corner just throw in the towel so that Max doesn't loose years of his career especially now that he is in his prime ?
Max would still get his pay and wouldn't come out as a "coward" since he did everything he could to save the show and it was his corner who made the decision.

Well he's gonna win via stoppage, so not really sure why they'd do that...

Mate people said the same thing about Whitaker-Romero.

Don't get caught up in hype. Max is tough as shit and a legit elite fighter.

Barboza is a top level striker sure, but he's more 1 dimensional than Pac Man... as a fighter Max is on another level. You can't compare them.

Just watched Khabib vs Barboza. The brazilian was game but after the first round he had to be helped up to his feet and the first minute+ of the second round his legs were still wobbly, he clearly had a concussion at that point.
636502775560660357-2017-12-30-Khabib2.jpg

The mauling continued in the second round and by then everybody knew the outcome of the fight but Barboza held in there and got to the decision. Pretty sure he paid for it with some long term damage and probably years off his career. Kind of sad.

Max is young and dominant, when this will be happening to him, should his corner just throw in the towel so that Max doesn't loose years of his career especially now that he is in his prime ?
Max would still get his pay and wouldn't come out as a "coward" since he did everything he could to save the show and it was his corner who made the decision.

Max wins via TKO.

Lol that people think this fight is happening. KHABIEBER is cursed, and Fri night all Sherdog will be "OMG CANT BELIEVE FIGHT IS OFF!"

Well he's gonna win via stoppage, so not really sure why they'd do that...
Max wins via TKO.
How do you see that happening ? Counter in the first while khabib is lunging in ? Later in the fight when he is tired out ?

Because Barboza is a better one shot KO artist and hit Khabib with some decent shots and khabib just went on unphased.

And i am not even talking about the fact that Max probably hasn't completely healed his injury and it coming in on short notice.

Let's see your bet slip then golden balls...

I'm not the one saying Holloway is gonna finish him. I think Khabib will win but I'm not 100% confident, and why would you bet on a heavy favourite lmao

How do you see that happening ? Counter in the first while khabib is lunging in ? Later in the fight when he is tired out ?

Because Barboza is a better one shot KO artist and hit Khabib with some decent shots and khabib just went on unphased.

And i am not even talking about the fact that Max probably hasn't completely healed his injury and it coming in on short notice.
Basically I think Max will do gloriously better at evading the ground than people think and finish a gassed Khabib 3rd or later. 2nd option is Max catches him in the 1st and he is out cold. 3rd is Khabib winning a decision via takedowns.

Lol that people think this fight is happening. KHABIEBER is cursed, and Fri night all Sherdog will be "OMG CANT BELIEVE FIGHT IS OFF!"

I get where you're coming from, but to be fair... for once it's not actually Khabib's fault that the fight is not happening.

In fact for all the times Khabib has forced his opponents into last minute changes (no matter how apparently unintentional it may be) he is really getting a taste of his own medicine right now.

Basically I think Max will do gloriously better at evading the ground than people think and finish a gassed Khabib 3rd or later. 2nd option is Max catches him in the 1st and he is out cold. 3rd is Khabib winning a decision via takedowns.
Max has not even been training since the injury and he has to cut a lot of weight just to make it to the fight.
Six days of training for his first fight at LW and on top of that being injured does not bode well
for him against a guy like Khabib. And Khabib has been in a full fight camp training for someone
who is basically a taller Max Holloway with better ground skills.

I'm not the one saying Holloway is gonna finish him. I think Khabib will win but I'm not 100% confident, and why would you bet on a heavy favourite lmao

Haha fair enough. Just playing devil's advocate there man.

But honestly... I actually don't see how Khabib is favourite? I feel this is another example of a lack of sport knowledge amongst the major book makers. They're way too easily influenced by social media IMO.

Max hasn't fought great wrestlers yet and Barboza had one of the best TDD at LW and that didn't change the outcome.

Can't see Holloway having a better cardio on short notice and after healing an injury.

Only way i can imagine Max winning is him not willing to back down and basically starting the fight like this:
xT8qB0sJy6TqjgBE7S.gif

If Khabib is silly enough to play the game then whoever connects better first would win but i don't see this happening.

Haha fair enough. Just playing devil's advocate there man.

But honestly... I actually don't see how Khabib is favourite? I feel this is another example of a lack of sport knowledge amongst the major book makers. They're way too easily influenced by social media IMO.

I think the odds would be a lot closer if Max had a full camp and/or had competed at 155 before, plus he hasn't faced a good grappler in a while where as Khabib has fought good strikers recently

He's a rightful favourite but this fight isn't a foregone conclusion at all

I think the odds would be a lot closer if Max had a full camp and/or had competed at 155 before, plus he hasn't faced a good grappler in a while where as Khabib has fought good strikers recently

He's a rightful favourite but this fight isn't a foregone conclusion at all

Yeah true, you give a fair assessment

Although if you want to split hairs, Max did actually start out at 155 before making the move to 145 prior to his UFC debut. But I do accept that's almost completely irrelevant in this argument as he has never competed at the elite level of said division. - ...Just being an MMA nerd that's all, I can't help it.

To be fair, when it comes to a striker vs grappler contest, the odds and general opinion will always favour the grappler purely due to the general dominance of that style. But take the likes of Conor McGregor, Anderson Silva and Robert Whitaker as examples of fighters who demonstrate that pinpoint striking and a well-executed game plan bests smothering grappling and brute force any day.

Having said that, I think Max' main flaw in this bout is his clear size disadvantage and (regardless of the above) that could quite easily be a huge factor in the outcome of the fight.

p.s. I like your spelling of the word 'favourite'... that is the correct way to spell it as according to the Queen's English. Good show.

Back