Will Masvidal punish Wonderboys kicks like he did Cowboys?

I think people are seriously overestimating masvidal after his win over cerrone. Wonderboy tooled Rory for 25 minutes and held his own against Woodley twice, as boring as it may have been, and both of those guys are leagues above Masvidal. Wonderboy stays behind his kicks and controls distance to a clear cut decision win IMO

Yeah, maybe. It's hard for me to get excited for a masvidal fight because he has a bad habit of winning one round, and then coasting for the rest of the fight. He seems to be increasing his aggression though, so I'm hoping for the best.
Have you watched his fights since he went back up to WW? What are you talking about?

Wonderboy by decision or KO. Countering WB isn't the same as countering Cerrone. Very different fighters although both use a diverse attack of kicks and punches. Wonderboy is more like Machida staying outside and coming in and out very quickly and with unexpected strikes that are well disguised and well timed. Cerrone comes forward and is closer than WB.

I think WB takes this one; he does make a few defensive mistakes though he corrected most in the second fight w/ Woodley (which he also won) however I don't think Masvidal can match his speed. WB is pretty quick and fights at a pretty significant distance. Mas would be required to cover a lot of ground to get a good shot in, not sure he's capable.

Cerrone has never been countered so bad in his career with his kicks, it was truely masterful how Jorge adapted to Cowboys lead kicks and finished him twice with the same counter.

You think he will think of something similair for WB? A lead switck kick counter is easier to perform than a counter for example Wb's signature side and spinning back kick.
a front leg side kick has less of a tell than a switch roundhouse imo so I agree

Last edited:
There's going to be a significant difference in timing, being that Cerrone & Wonderboy have totally different movement, speed & agility. Not to mention that they both close the distance differently. These are major factors when looking to counter. Masvidal could implement the same strategy, but he'll have to utilize it in a different manner.

All I know is, Masvidal is going to fisticuff the hell out of Wondersissy, and send him back to point karate, where the competition is a little easier.

2 of my fav fighters to watch. Feels like Wonderboy hasn't fought in 5 years.

Masvidal can't expect to counter Wonderboy's kicks in the same way that he countered Cerrone's. WB's wide karate stance makes the distance longer than Cerrone's more standard MT stance, and WB's maintains that distance better, using the lead leg like a jab.

It will be up to Jorge to take WB off his game in a different way, perhaps in grappling or clinch fighting, where he has an advantage. If he sticks to straight standup, I see WB as a solid favorite and likely decision winner. But I hope Masvidal is smart enough to mix it up and turn it into a war, because it'd be a shame to see these two in a tentative sparring match.

Wonderboy by decision or KO. Countering WB isn't the same as countering Cerrone. Very different fighters although both use a diverse attack of kicks and punches. Wonderboy is more like Machida staying outside and coming in and out very quickly and with unexpected strikes that are well disguised and well timed. Cerrone comes forward and is closer than WB.
No doubt Donald stays in the pocket way more and his stance is a lot more square due to his kickboxing style.

It will not be nearly as easy to counter WB but If gamebred works hard on his footwork and kick defence e may be able to land a hard counter.

I don't think that is his best path to victory though. I think he should train to cut off the cage and get into the clinch. Fight randy couture dirty boxing style and hope to land a takedown.

Easier said then done but I think this is his best path to victory. That said I think WB wins another boring decision.

No doubt Donald stays in the pocket way more and his stance is a lot more square due to his kickboxing style.

It will not be nearly as easy to counter WB but If gamebred works hard on his footwork and kick defence e may be able to land a hard counter.

I don't think that is his best path to victory though. I think he should train to cut off the cage and get into the clinch. Fight randy couture dirty boxing style and hope to land a takedown.

Easier said then done but I think this is his best path to victory. That said I think WB wins another boring decision.
not only that but cerrone stands straight up which played into masvidal's boxing.

I honestly thought Cowboy was kicking the Hel out of Masvidal for the entire first round until Jorge got the knockdown.

It all went down hill for Cerrone after that.

I think he just got too rocked from the knockdown and never recovered.

not only that but cerrone stands straight up which played into masvidal's boxing.
True cerrone has great kicks and. Solid offender but his defence is somewhat lacking.

Do you think Masdival can win this fight ? I want him to but I just don't see it happening.

True cerrone has great kicks and. Solid offender but his defence is somewhat lacking.

Do you think Masdival can win this fight ? I want him to but I just don't see it happening.
Wonderboy is great but he's kind of hittable. Even in fights he won like Whittaker and Elleburger he took some shots. When he engages he is very good offensively but his defense is spotty. I'm hoping he wins but I could see Masvidal landing on him and he knows how to punch.

This is gonna be a good fight. Not a real WB fan. Not just bleed enough for me but he may Karate size Masvidal while he takes his famous breaks.

This fight should be a hell of a lot better than WonderBoy vs Tyron was.

It'll at least tell us if WB should be getting a larger slice of the blame for arguably having 2 fights in the 10 ten boring fights list

Jorge is going to have to keep the pressure on. Cant give ST space to use his karate. I'd like to see Jorge work some take downs and smash Thompson on the ground like the first round of T-Wood/Thompson.

tumblr_okjgzzwmcH1u2ragso3_250.gif

tumblr_okjgzzwmcH1u2ragso5_250.gif

tumblr_okjgzzwmcH1u2ragso6_250.gif

don´t compare cerrone to WB

i got WB by head kick KO
For the most part when Masvidal loses it is by Decisions, he has not had a KO/TKO loss since 2008.

So I don't doubt that WB takes this, but by finish in 3 rounder, no, forget about it.

Last edited:
Back