Will humanity ever reach attain unity?

Roca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Will we ever truly cooperate as one species striving for the same goals? Cease to fight each other, steal from each other and destroy our surroundings to line the pockets of a few?

Will we ever have equality, remove poverty and hunger from our existence?

I would like to believe so but it doesn't look good atm. If we ever do get to that point I think we still have a few rough patches between now and then :(

Lol no

Even people whose entire lives are forever intertwined and have a vested interest in cooperation (aka family) fight over all kinds of shit.

No. For the rest of our existence, we will continue to kill and compete for resources. It's in our nature. LMFAO at anyone who thinks that peace can come from anything other than the barrel of a gun.

No. For the rest of our existence, we will continue to kill and compete for resources. It's in our nature. LMFAO at anyone who thinks that peace can come from anything other than the barrel of a gun.

:(

I want to hope we can get there

:(

I want to hope we can get there
It's a nice thought, but it's ultimately unachievable. It would be really nice if we could just get rid of all militaries, police, guards, etc. However, that's not going to ever happen. The only thing that will ever keep this experiment called "society" working is the fact that we can use force against those who seek to destroy or undermine it. The only things that ever matter are necessity and force.

It's a nice thought, but it's ultimately unachievable. It would be really nice if we could just get rid of all militaries, police, guards, etc. However, that's not going to ever happen. The only thing that will ever keep this experiment called "society" working is the fact that we can use force against those who seek to destroy or undermine it. The only things that ever matter are necessity and force.

Oh I don't disagree there will always be tardy gobblers like @Clippy who can't function in society, and some enforcement will be required. I suppose I was speaking in a 99% type of way.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye.

I bet medical science can make it happen in the next couple of years

Oh I don't disagree there will always be tardy gobblers like @Clippy who can't function in society, and some enforcement will be required. I suppose I was speaking in a 99% type of way.
Well, most of us do seem to get along well enough. I mean, most of us are generally law-abiding citizens that don't do anything to disrupt the fabric of society. So there's that. The problem is that we have a few members that deserved to be exterminated and other societies that don't want to peacefully coexist with our own. The best thing you can do is try to focus on all the good that comes out of conflict.

Well, most of us do seem to get along well enough. I mean, most of us are generally law-abiding citizens that don't do anything to disrupt the fabric of society. So there's that. The problem is that we have a few members that deserved to be exterminated and other societies that don't want to peacefully coexist with our own. The best thing you can do is try to focus on all the good that comes out of conflict.

I'm ok with removal of segments of the population that don't want to play nice, it might be the only option to move forward as a species

Even Star Trek has the Deus ex machina of unlimited energy, replicators and no currency as explanations for the Federations unity. And they still constantly encounter antagonists who don't share their views.

I would say conflict will hopefully decrease as inequality does, but even that's not a gimme.

I tried to bring Sherbros together with my P&M polls, but lately they've gotten intense and have divided us further.

The planet is fucked.

I'm ok with removal of segments of the population that don't want to play nice, it might be the only option to move forward as a species
Welcome to the hardline. I'll get you a welcome pamphlet and the necessary equipment.

In all seriousness, I want what you want. I think a lot of us do, and the ones that don't are criminals and radicals that we can pretty easily identify. Sometimes, us "good" people just disagree on how to get there. There are folks who believe that we can treat everyone with love all the time, and we will reform everyone to make a complete and perfect society. And then there are people who say that most people are good, but if we find the bad ones, we should do everything in our power to wipe them off the face of the earth and make sure that no one else becomes bad. I fall into the latter group. I think that once our two groups of generally good people can agree on how to approach the problem, things will get better for us. That's why we need to treat one another with respect and dignity, even if we disagree. We need to save our anger for those that truly deserve it.

You realize society is regressing, right? So the answer is absolutely fucking NO.

Even Star Trek has the Deus ex machina of unlimited energy, replicators and no currency as explanations for the Federations unity. And they still constantly encounter antagonists who don't share their views.

I would say conflict will hopefully decrease as inequality does, but even that's not a gimme.

I'm not sure a TV show is proof of anything one way or another

I tried to bring Sherbros together with my P&M polls, but lately they've gotten intense and have divided us further.

The planet is fucked.

Maybe you should give the people what they want

Welcome to the hardline. I'll get you a welcome pamphlet and the necessary equipment.

In all seriousness, I want what you want. I think a lot of us do, and the ones that don't are criminals and radicals that we can pretty easily identify. Sometimes, us "good" people just disagree on how to get there. There are folks who believe that we can treat everyone with love all the time, and we will reform everyone to make a complete and perfect society. And then there are people who say that most people are good, but if we find the bad ones, we should do everything in our power to wipe them off the face of the earth and make sure that no one else becomes bad. I fall into the latter group. I think that once our two groups of generally good people can agree on how to approach the problem, things will get better for us. That's why we need to treat one another with respect and dignity, even if we disagree. We need to save our anger for those that truly deserve it.

We need to remove profit as the driving motive for everything in society IMO.

You realize society is regressing, right? So the answer is absolutely fucking NO.

Regressing compared to when and based on what metrics?

Look at how quickly society breaks down in times of stress. Also, look at all of the people in society that prey on others with scams. Charities that might help a few people but their main purpose is to make money for the people that run them. Universities that do nothing but supply money to their owners and put their students deep into debt. People cooperate only if it is an advantage to themselves to do so. We've seen how politicians can win election by appealing to their constituents baser instincts.

I'm not sure a TV show is proof of anything one way or another
Definitely not proof, but a theory as to how a utopian society (and that's basically what you're positing) could come to exist.

IMO people who aren't broke and hungry have a lot less reason to migrate or cause conflict, which are probably the main causes of disunity.

Of course you could have the world consisting entirely of two twins, and they'd still probably fight over who gets the last bite of the twinkie.

giphy.gif

Back