Will GSP be remembered as a multi divisional champ for beating Bisping?

Davey Crockett

Mane, Firmino, Salah
Banned
Reaction score
Huge fan of the Count but let’s be real here he won that title because Rockhold shit the bed. He deserved to be champ for all the years he’s put in, and he took the belt by a brutal stoppage, but if we are using reality as a standard Bisping was one of the weakest champs in UFC history. Still a champ, but many feel he was undeserving, which would in turn make GSPs championship null also.

If Matt Sera was a champ then GSP was a multi champ. It was just a scummy way to achieve it.

You claim Bisping was one of the weakest champs in history when Dave Menne held a belt?

That's cute.

History will probably only remember that GSP is a two division champ, regardless of who he beat. Bisping also has the most wins in UFC history, so to casuals that'll probably make him seem like a tougher and more accomplished fighter on paper than he actually was in reality.

Anyone that says otherwise is delusional.

Yes with a gigantic asterisk. The asterisk can say golden opportunity. Its not impressive to just take fights you think youre likely to win. He earned that privilege I suppose but theres a creepy factor to the whole thing.

Only GSP could be retired for 4 years, past his prime with 2 ACL injuries aged 36 go up in weight and win the MW title and still have people trying to downplay what he done

<DisgustingHHH>

Yes he will. Same way Conor will, Hendo will, BJ will, and Randy will.

There has never in the history of MMA been a multi division champion who earned their titles the hard way. They are all a result of favourable marketing and luck.

I'm pleased that GSP became a two-division champ, and I don't believe that the circumstances in which it occurred will diminish his accomplishment. It would have been much more impressive and meaningful if he had ended Anderson's title reign instead of Bisping's, but nonetheless he deserves the recognition for the brief period he was middleweight champ.

He is a 2 division champ, if you decide to ignore that and to remember him in any other way then you're an idiot.

Why not? It's a fact that he is. It doesn't matter whatsoever if Bisping is regarded a "weak" champ.

Technically but at the same time I highly doubt whether the Bisping and GSP who fought that night would have beaten many if any MW's in the top ten.

To be honest, Rockhold, Weidman, Mousasi, Whittaker, Romero, Brunson, Gastelum all would have stomped GSP. No offense to those two, but Bisping was well on the slide and so was GSP.

Realistically, any Champion who has moved up and beaten a guy in the top ten of the division above has done what GSP has done. They just haven't had the clever match-making of WME behind them.

Obviously he is! Though it was a sweet gift. And he took it. This fight should not have happened. Now he can "step away (prounounced with a french accent)" again.

Bisping finished Rockhold and earned linear mw title(1). GSP finished Bisping and earned 2 linear titles(2). (1), (2) Whittaker was the interim mw champ both fighters avoided.

Yes he will. Same way Conor will, Hendo will, BJ will, and Randy will.

There has never in the history of MMA been a multi division champion who earned their titles the hard way. They are all a result of favourable marketing and luck.

I've never heard someone try to argue Penn and Couture won the LW and LHW titles the easy way. Can you elaborate on that claim?

People that like him will remember him as one of, if not the most dominant WW champs of all time who took some time off and came back to win the MW belt becoming one of a handful of fighters to win belts in different weight classes.

People that don't care for him will remember him as being an overrated decision machine that left the sport because of USADA that came back for a super easy MW fight to get the belt and ducked top MW contention because he was scared.

I've never heard someone try to argue Penn and Couture won the LW and LHW titles the easy way. Can you elaborate on that claim?

BJ fought Matt Hughes for the WW title without ever fighting at WW. It is no different to GSP fighting Bisping or Conor fighting Alvarez. He did nothing to earn the shot.

Randy won a 2nd rate LHW title (Pride had the best LHWs) after having 0 fights at LHW. He fought Chuck for the interim title then Tito.

You never hear people discredit these achievements like they do Conor and GSP probably because it was so long ago.

He is a 2 division champ, if you decide to ignore that and to remember him in any other way then you're an idiot.

He got a free shot at a someone who only had the belt because he ducked well. Meh.

I will but it's not the most impressive thing he has done.

Only useful when speaking to people who don't know MMA.

Back