Will ESPN eventually destroy the UFC PPV

PPV is still UFC's main source of income. Without PPV, they wouldn't exist in their current form.

The entire reason they wanted 400 million is they could slowly cut down on PPV shows. PPV is too uncertain. One year you might make a killing, the next year nothing. If they have guaranteed TV money, there's no need to worry.

WWE saw the writing on the wall and UFC is preparing for the same. 300 million isn't 400 million but it's still better than the Fox deal and gives them some breathing room.

Are you saying you heard that PPV will move to Fightpass in 2019?

God, I hope so and what a great way to sell Fightpass to fans, win win.

No, I never said that but see why you are confused
The original ESPN+ deal from a few weeks ago was for the FP library of things prior to 2019.
Anything that aired on ESPN+ would stay on ESPN+, but anything that aired elsewhere would be only on FP
Now that ESPN has the TV rights too, they will have that on ESPN+ library, but unless the deal changed the 2019 & beyond PPV's were supposed to be on FP (after the month blackout)

PPV is still UFC's main source of income. Without PPV, they wouldn't exist in their current form.

Not true
It is about 30% & now less since the TV deal is bigger
Without a single PPV sold, UFC makes over $200m in profit

ESPN is a sinking ship. I think they are getting desperate, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for UFC. It might end up being a great thing. I know ESPN exposure has been great for Lomachenko.

I am already picturing ESPN programs featuring Kevin Lee and Woodley talking about race.

ESPN lost a shitload of subscribers as a result tho and the guy in charge at the time left in disgrace. Hopefully they learn a lesson and stick to sports. Going after the UFC is a good sign anyway.

Woodley and Lee are the two most important fighters on the UFC roster outside of Conor and Jon Jones. They will be relied on heavily to get more views from black america.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/espn-ufc-full-tv-rights-deal-fox-out

UFC & ESPN have a new deal that promises 30 events per year on ESPN, plus another 15 on ESPN+ streaming (probably the fights that were on fight pass such as DW Contender series and international fight cards)

I actually could see the UFC TV schedule shifting more like major sports, depending more on advertising than PPV buys, as the sport continues to grow and viewership rises

Maybe they put the major cards on ABC to get a national audience, similar to what the major sports with ESPN for their big games like playoffs and generate more money off advertisements than PPV buys?

Could you imagine if the SuperBowl or Stanley Cup playoffs were on PPV?

I know it didnt work as well with Boxing, but I think the UFC has a much bigger casual following than boxing

Also, will TUF stay on ESPN?
You know, Strikeforcepreviously aired on ESPN

Now they're defunct

K-1 was aired on ESPN

They're gone too!

Magic The Gathering Championships were aired on ESPN, now it's not as popular as it once was.

0ee.jpg

I hope so so I don't need to pay to watch the fights. But it wont be anytime soon.

Destroy?
PPV wont exist in 10 years with or without ESPN and theres nothing anyone can do to change that
Its a dying industry which is why the UFC is shifting all its focus to tv rights fees and streaming services just like WWE already did
Its not a coincidence that the two biggest PPV content providers in America are both looking elsewhere for the future of their companies

If by "PPV wont exist in 10 years" you mean that ordering an event from your cable company will go away, sure that might be true. If 10 years is too soon, then someday.

But the UFC is probably always going to have a few premium main cards that they are going to sell separately, whether its through your cable provider, os over the internet in a hypothetical future when cable is dead and we're all streaming. I'd still call that PPV.

Im glad your somewhat an optimist, I’m trying to be the same way... I guess we will have to wait and see, I’m also happy the NFL figured out that their sport isn’t larger than an individuals love of their country.
<[analyzed}>

ESPN just rehired Keith Olbermann so I take it back.

Back