Will ESPN eventually destroy the UFC PPV

We're all dying. But yeah, see you in 10 years buddy, when the UFC is "still dying" bet a perma avatar on it?
giphy.gif

good the PPV model is the worst thing to ever happen
The UFC are still looking to show 12 ppvs a year and some international fightpass shows. Not great.

Just posted by mmalogic 05/23/2018

They retained rights to do 12/13 ppv events a year but that won’t be finalized until they negotiate new distribution deals... current ones expiring this year.

they can do as many fightpass events as they want but you’ll need to be an espn plus subscriber to get fightpass in the states.

the fp events will be extremely watered down though and very focused on the local markets.

It is 30 combined not 45
phew, 45 would be overkill. 30 is a good number. I think this is a good move for the UFC because espn is basically free promotion, i expect bigger numbers for sure

As long as they can keep the political opinions and left wing agenda out of the UFC content the promotion will be just fine.

Having these items force fed down my throat every time I turned on ESPN and the NFL was the entire reason I quit watching the network/sport... I tuned in because sports was one of the last safe havens from politics, being a retired military guy who spent 25 years embracing what I’d ignorantly believed in makes listening to some of the left wing garble feel like a Bas liver kick. Funny thing is I’m what military guys would consider middle of the road as far as my political views are concerned.

As long as they can keep the political opinions and left wing agenda out of the UFC content the promotion will be just fine.

Having these items force fed down my throat every time I turned on ESPN and the NFL was the entire reason I quit watching the network/sport... I tuned in because sports was one of the last safe havens from politics, being a retired military guy who spent 25 years embracing what I’d ignorantly believed in makes listening to some of the left wing garble feel like a Bas liver kick. Funny thing is I’m what military guys would consider middle of the road as far as my political views are concerned.

I am already picturing ESPN programs featuring Kevin Lee and Woodley talking about race.

ESPN lost a shitload of subscribers as a result tho and the guy in charge at the time left in disgrace. Hopefully they learn a lesson and stick to sports. Going after the UFC is a good sign anyway.

I am already picturing ESPN programs featuring Kevin Lee and Woodley talking about race.

ESPN lost a shitload of subscribers as a result tho and the guy in charge at the time left in disgrace. Hopefully they learn a lesson and stick to sports. Going after the UFC is a good sign anyway.
Im glad your somewhat an optimist, I’m trying to be the same way... I guess we will have to wait and see, I’m also happy the NFL figured out that their sport isn’t larger than an individuals love of their country.
<[analyzed}>

How much is the ESPN app where we’ll be able to get all UFC content?

As far as I understand that doesn’t exist. As espn+ doesn’t show all of ESPN’s content. You’re going to need ESPN and ESPN+. Unless something has changed.

I can’t believe it’s thaf much in the USA.In England we pay about £22 per month for a channel and all the cards,football,boxing,rugby is included,£60 for a PPV is outrageous

Exactly. Which is why it amazes me the top execs including Dana always bitch about illegal streaming. They are out of touch with the broadcast market of today

Fox would probably have to pay them another 300mill or more a year to get the UFC to not do anymore ppvs. I hope it happens but i don't see it.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/espn-ufc-full-tv-rights-deal-fox-out

UFC & ESPN have a new deal that promises 30 events per year on ESPN, plus another 15 on ESPN+ streaming (probably the fights that were on fight pass such as DW Contender series and international fight cards)

I actually could see the UFC TV schedule shifting more like major sports, depending more on advertising than PPV buys, as the sport continues to grow and viewership rises

Maybe they put the major cards on ABC to get a national audience, similar to what the major sports with ESPN for their big games like playoffs and generate more money off advertisements than PPV buys?

Could you imagine if the SuperBowl or Stanley Cup playoffs were on PPV?

I know it didnt work as well with Boxing, but I think the UFC has a much bigger casual following than boxing

Also, will TUF stay on ESPN?

I didn't even know about this deal. I thought it was only ESPN+

Still can't help but laugh at the "UFC is dying" comments. According to some people it's been dying for 5 years now. Just stop.

A lot more "other" content (non UFC)
The PPV's seem like they will be exclusive to FP beginning in 2019 (after a month)

Are you saying you heard that PPV will move to Fightpass in 2019?

God, I hope so and what a great way to sell Fightpass to fans, win win.

Back