Will Brooks, What happend?

noizer

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Seriously,

when this guy came over from Bellator i thought he would be the UFC lw champ someday but ever since his debut he looks mediocre at best. Will showed me he has the tools to compete at the highest level over at Bellator but somehow he underperforms in the UFC.

I dont think it has everything to do with the level of competition as he fought verry established opponents in the past and beat them soundly ( Kitaoka, Awad, Sarnavsky, Chandler x 2, Dave Jansen and even Held are no jokes )

what happend?

he fought verry established opponents in the past and beat them soundly ( Kitaoka, Awad, Sarnavsky, Chandler x 2, Dave Jansen and even Held are no jokes )

Maybe all of them are overrated? Except Chandler.
Chandler was his great win, but it also was kind of a fluke.

Kitaoka is super one-dimensional, he relies on hail-mary submissions and that's all he did in his career overall.
Awad is a nice KO artist, but he's wild and not technical in any dimension. I remember Nam freaking Phan knocking him out just by being patient.
Sarnavsky is SUPER overrated by MEGA padded record in Russia. He was exposed in Bellator.
Jansen is a nice guy, but he was overrated as a high skilled wrestler and it never got him anywhere in MMA. I'm glad he opened his own gym...
Held shows in the UFC EXACTLY where he belongs.

Maybe all of them are overrated? Except Chandler.

Kitaoka is super one-dimensional, he relies on hail-mary submissions and that's all he did in his career overall.
Awad is a nice KO artist, but he's wild and not technical in any dimension. I remember Nam freaking Phan knocking him out just by being patient.
Sarnavsky is SUPER overrated by MEGA padded record in Russia. He was exposed in Bellator.
Jansen is a nice guy, but he was overrated as a high skilled wrestler and it never got him anywhere in MMA. I'm glad he opened his own gym...
Held shows in the UFC EXACTLY where he belongs.

dont get me wrong, with the exception of Chandler none of those guys are elite lw's still Brooks was miles above them in terms of skill and talent.

i cant believe that level of competition is the sole reason for Brook's decline. Lentz isnt exactly a worldbeater either.

dont get me wrong, with the exception of Chandler none of those guys are elite lw's still Brooks was miles above them in terms of skill and talent.

i cant believe that level of competition is the sole reason for Brook's decline. Lentz isnt exactly a worldbeater either.

Lentz is an effective wrestler with underrated BJJ.
He has a lot of flaws: doesn't like to be on his back, vulnerable in standup...but he can beat fighters that are comfortable for his style or/and reckless.

Lentz is a very underrated fighter he was a top 10 FW and he's probably a top 10 LW

What happened is that he fights dumb. Terrible fight IQ.

Was winning yesterday and then offered his neck on a plate.

he's probably a top 10 LW

No, he absolutely isn't.
Far from it.

Bigger LWs, like Dunham, Makhachev, will make quick work off him.
He's a good wrestler, but he's being outwrestled quite easily.

What happened is that he fights dumb. Terrible fight IQ.

Was winning yesterday and then offered his neck on a plate.
true. he has always been reckless imo but it looks like something is wrong with his mindset nowadays.

Lentz is a very underrated fighter he was a top 10 FW and he's probably a top 10 LW
Lenz is not a bad fighter but he certainly isnt a top 10 LW. Like AimedwithV said, Nice Wrestling and BJJ but lacks in far to many areas to be considerd an elite competitior

Brooks was looking very good, footwork and head movement mostly on point, but Lentz has a good guillotine and Will shot into it.

I wouldn't read much into these losses since he looks good in there. The wins will come eventually.

Like many guys that come over

They are overhyped and people expect too much

He's just underperforming. He's better than all the guys he has lost to.

Except Chandler.

He smashed Chandler from pillar to post in the 2nd fight, taking away what worked for Chandler the first time around. Nothing fluke in that.

3 losses in a row, all finishes, and his only win being a decision over very mediocre Ross Pearson. Will's just not that good

Chandler would get tooled too. Who has he beat? Alvarez, who beat him in the rematch? A washed up Bendo? Plus I'm positive (no pun intended) that USADA would not be kind to him.

Similar to Josh Grispi and G-Sots, IMO.

Some big talents just fall off sometimes.

Back