Will Atlanta's new stadium be done in time for the NFL season? Update: more delays possible

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I enjoy watching construction projects via the webcams they have set up. I've watched several baseball and football stadium projects. Last year at this time, the Vikings new stadium was closed in and at least 1/2 of the seating installed. Their roof was finished in October and the stadium finished by June.

Construction seems to be going very slowly. The timeline has been delayed several times because the roof system designed by the architects proved difficult to engineer. The roof on Atlanta's Mercedes Benz Stadium is nowhere near finished. The main framework was finally installed and the internal supports removed in mid November. Only one part of one of the 8 retractable portions of the roof is on the roof. Some are calling the design the Silver Sphincter. Testing on the movable petals is supposed to begin in April. The display surrounding the hole in the roof needs to be installed before all of the cranes can be moved from the interior.

They have secured another venue for the soccer team. The Georgia Dome is right next to the new one and I thought the timeline called for it to be torn down to make room for parking after this season with demolition starting in March . I'm wondering if they will wait on that in case they run into problems. Anyone in Atlanta have any insight into this?
http://www.earthcam.net/projects/atlantafalcons/newstadiumrwd/rwd.php?cam=cchd
http://www.earthcam.net/projects/atlantafalcons/newstadiumrwd/rwd.php?cam=cchd

New stadiums are nothing but problems
Teams need to learn to appreciate what they have and stop fucking everything up imo

lol Atlanta. You know your city sucks when the best thing about it is the airport

Teams need to learn to appreciate what they have and stop fucking everything up imo

Teams demanding/building new stadiums really is such a massive scam on the public. So wasteful. Pay for it yourselves you rich shmucks.

By the time it's finished the Falcons will start working on getting a new stadium. Lmao @ these shitholes that demand public money. Grow some balls and let them leave.

By the time it's finished the Falcons will start working on getting a new stadium. Lmao @ these shitholes that demand public money. Grow some balls and let them leave.

We're seeing a few cities do that now. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Two teams sharing a stadium seems to work in New York. Now LA will be trying it and Atlanta will have a soccer team and and NFL team sharing one. I thought Minnesota was going to have a soccer team playing in the same stadium as the Vikings but it appears they are going to play at TCF Bank stadium where the University of Minnesota plays. Minnesota went from 3 teams playing in one stadium to 4 teams playing in 3 stadiums.

I was watching the Peach bowl and when they showed the outside overhead shot I was like, "WTF is that"? I still remember when the Falcons played in Fulton County stadium. When was the Georgia Dome built -- 1989?

These new stadiums are just bananas. As a kid there were basically two types of stadiums: old decrepit stadiums from the 30s/40s/50s, or faceless pieces of shit made in the 70s (Riverfront/The Vet/Three Rivers). The sight lines were generally terrible. I don't think we could see the entire field from our seats at Municipal stadium in Cleveland, at the the first NFL game I attended.

Modern stadiums are so much better, it's not even worth thinking about the past.

The Georgia Dome is right next to the new one and I thought the timeline called for it to be torn down to make room for parking after this season with demolition starting in March . I'm wondering if they will wait on that in case they run into problems.

They could always play at Bobby Dodd stadium where Georgia tech plays. 55,000 capacity.

In terms of stadium construction cluster fucks, nothing will ever beat Montreal's Olympic stadium. The first Billion dollar stadium. Not only was it a piece of shit, the design never worked, concrete structures collapsed, and it toolk nearly 30 yrs of taxpayer dollars to pay for.

My understanding is that London's new Wembley stadium was also a cluster fuck. they hired a lot of undocumented laborers who weren't qualified to do the work. I think they had issues with the quality of concrete as well IIRC.

TBF most of the money is coming from Arthur Blank. Only public money is coming from a dedicated hotel tax.

The Las Vegas raiders fans will be stoked for their new stadium.

TBF most of the money is coming from Arthur Blank. Only public money is coming from a dedicated hotel tax.
$600 million in public money is nothing. I'm sure they couldn't find better things to do with it than to give it to wealthy team owners.

I've seen that it will be 600 million in public spending.

They could always play at Bobby Dodd stadium where Georgia tech plays. 55,000 capacity.

In terms of stadium construction cluster fucks, nothing will ever beat Montreal's Olympic stadium. The first Billion dollar stadium. Not only was it a piece of shit, the design never worked, concrete structures collapsed, and it toolk nearly 30 yrs of taxpayer dollars to pay for.

My understanding is that London's new Wembley stadium was also a cluster fuck. they hired a lot of undocumented laborers who weren't qualified to do the work. I think they had issues with the quality of concrete as well IIRC.

Architects design something novel for all of these that become nightmares for engineers to translate into a working building. Most rely on concrete which is very difficult to check the quality of once it's installed. This one has a very heavy roof system sitting on several large concrete pillars.

Teams want a large stadium, but not too large because the game could be blacked out if they don't fill it.

I've seen that it will be 600 million in public spending.
The money is coming from a tax placed on hotel/motel visits. The idea being that the stadium hosting events will bring visitors and their stay in hotel will pay for the bonds the city used to help build the stadium. The problem is what if hotel stays decline or the cost of maintenance is greater than the revenue from hotel visits.

I really don't want to defend a billionaire
but this is a multi use stadium Superbowl, CFB playoff, Final Four, conventions,and concerts already planned. For better or worse the city of Atlanta enter a partnership with the falcons.

For the record I was against it and wish blank would have moved the team outside the city. Downtown is already a mess and the traffic is horrendous.

The money is coming from a tax placed on hotel/motel visits. The idea being that the stadium hosting events will bring visitors and their stay in hotel will pay for the bonds the city used to help build the stadium. The problem is what if hotel stays decline or the cost of maintenance is greater than the revenue from hotel visits.

but this is a multi use stadium Superbowl, CFB playoff, Final Four, conventions,and concerts already planned. For better or worse the city of Atlanta enter a partnership with the falcons.

For the record I was against it and wish blank would have moved the team outside the city. Downtown is already a mess and the traffic is horrendous.

Minneapolis is the same way but they wanted it downtown. What is wrong with the Georgia Dome? Both hold 71,000 people. One has a hole in the roof and one doesn't. Does the new one have more bathrooms and concession stands?

I'm not even a fan of beisbol and I think the Marlins' owners are snakes but not gonna lie the stadium they built on the old Orange Bowl site is pretty badass

d4e121711d0de2c9b240b36bf8576dea.jpg

YKEPNER-jumbo.jpg

Minneapolis is the same way but they wanted it downtown. What is wrong with the Georgia Dome? Both hold 71,000 people. One has a hole in the roof and one doesn't. Does the new one have more bathrooms and concession stands?

New is always better

Build a new stadium get a super bowl

The Ga dome while not being that old really sucks. Has a dark feel to it.

New is always better

Build a new stadium get a super bowl

The Ga dome while not being that old really sucks. Has a dark feel to it.

They could upgrade to LED lighting and brighten that up for much less money. I think the roof structure is going to give the new stadium a strange feel. So much steel hanging over your head.

They should've moved it to the old GM plant in Doraville. There's a reason the Braves left.
This all came about supposedly because Goodell told Arthur Blank back in 07 or 08 that Atlanta wouldn't get another Super Bowl until they had a new stadium.

I'm not even a fan of beisbol and I think the Marlins' owners are snakes but not gonna lie the stadium they built on the old Orange Bowl site is pretty badass

d4e121711d0de2c9b240b36bf8576dea.jpg

YKEPNER-jumbo.jpg
Joe Robbie >

Back