Will Alex "Cowboy" Oliveira climb the ranks?

insomnico

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I really enjoy watching this guy fight. I'm impressed with how relax he looks in the octagon. His movement is very fluid and his attacks are extremely violent. I think he'll be a force in the division once he fixes some holes in his game. Sometimes he is too aggressive for his own good and ends up giving up positions and getting reversed when he is on top. The OG Cowboy (Cerrone) used to do that too in his WEC days.
In the fight against Carlos Condit, who doesn't have the best ground game, getting reversed wasn't a big deal. But when he faces a top-heavy guy, he won't be so comfortable fighting from the bottom.

Currently he trains in Brazil at a relatively unknown camp. If he moves to the US to train at bigger teams, such as ATT or Kings MMA, his game will improve immensely and he'll sure climb the ranks.

I really enjoy watching this guy fight. I wish he would move camps.

Nah he's more of a side attraction

He will flake when it counts

Nah he's more of a side attraction

He will flake when it counts

What about the Condit fight? I remind you that he was a very late replacement when Matt Brown got injured.

Are we even sure he is an actual cowboy? Or just a fraud.

As you said he's a fun fighter too watch , as most of the aggressive fighters are but I think that will be his downfall against the top fighters in the LW division .
In saying that the aggressive style has worked for the likes of Ferguson , so I guess there is hope he could get to the top of the WW division

I don’t think he is consistent enough to become top dog. He will win more than he will lose, but I don’t expect greatness.

I don’t think he is consistent enough to become top dog. He will win more than he will lose, but I don’t expect greatness.

His UFC record is 8-3-1 (no contest). Not that bad...
But I do agree that he needs to get on a new win streak against top 15 guys. That's why I wished he joined a top US team.

What about the Condit fight? I remind you that he was a very late replacement when Matt Brown got injured.

So what? Condit isn't Condit anymore did you miss the Magny fight

I told everyone that would listen to bet Howboy in this spot last week, I trusted the flake over Condit with no effort

If he was legit he would of beat Yancy or Donald

But I do agree that he needs to get on a new win streak against top 15 guys. That's why I wished he joined a top US team.
He worked a bit with ATT until he changed Will Brooks' bum life.

not saying hes gonna beat everybody, i dont believe so. But to be fair, in 2 of these 3 defeats he was replacing someone, accepting the fight within DAYS to prepare. I believe he can climb the ranks, but not too high tho

So what? Condit isn't Condit anymore did you miss the Magny fight

I told everyone that would listen to bet Howboy in this spot last week, I trusted the flake over Condit with no effort

If he was legit he would of beat Yancy or Donald

I think that's one of the biggest problems of MMA fans. We are too quick to rule out contenders as "not legit".
Yancy is an extremely tough fighter. Cowboy was beating him in the 1st and 2nd rds and lost in the 3rd. MMA is unpredictable, right?
Against Donald Cerrone, well, Donald was just the best man. Especially back then, when Cowboy was kinda fresh in the UFC.

Yeah I watched it. Great fight, but it showed he is at where he should be in terms of ranking.
all right.

IMO he has the tools to be higher, as long as he can control himself better. His flaws are clear but not too hard to fix if he gets better training/camps. He is 30, still got some time to improve

let see how it goes

Watching the Cerrone fight made me think his ceiling isn't very high. I can't imagine someone's ground game getting much better after being controlled so badly.

Back