Wilder's chin.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Wilder has often been said to have a weak chin. What do you think? I know it's the heavyweights, where anyone can knock anyone out, but I think his chin is on the weaker side. He was dropped by Sconiers and Nichols, and rocked by Molina and Ortiz.

Ya, that round and half shit stomping he took from Ortiz screamed weak chin.

I gotta say, I never thought Wilder could take it so cleanly on the chin from Ortiz using a one-two jab and straight clean left to the jaw. And then once clearly hurt, wobbled, and standing in front of a world class power punches, still gets hit with solid follow ups. No way he stays up or recovers. Frankly, totally impressed with Deontay's ability to take and recover. I guess he is just never going to stop with the wild ass technique issues and slapping punches. He's 32, has Mark Breland so he knows what to do and has had time. Reminds me of George Foreman a little bit the awkward technique, but he makes it work. He could be so good though if the tightened up the technique.

I gotta say, I never thought Wilder could take it so cleanly on the chin from Ortiz using a one-two jab and straight clean left to the jaw. And then once clearly hurt, wobbled, and standing in front of a world class power punches, still gets hit with solid follow ups. No way he stays up or recovers. Frankly, totally impressed with Deontay's ability to take and recover. I guess he is just never going to stop with the wild ass technique issues and slapping punches. He's 32, has Mark Breland so he knows what to do and has had time. Reminds me of George Foreman a little bit the awkward technique, but he makes it work. He could be so good though if the tightened up the technique.

Yes yes. George 1.0 looked laughable at times but he smoked fools, great comparison.

Ortiz was laying on some serious heat on Wilder.
Head, body, head like a good boxer should when the guy is hurt and Wilder took it.

Both Wilder and Joshua have their flaws but no doubt both can take a shot and get their heads back together. In reality though they aint going to be able to take each others punches clean

Ortiz has huge power himself and landed a lot of shots, and combinations on Wilder in that round. Wilder has a very solid chin and great recovery powers, and definitely better than Joshua's imo.

"The outcome wasn't what I hoped for and expected, so now I have to make new threads to make him look like shit ..."

I think his chin is OK.
Ortiz has a reputation as a monster puncher, but to me he seems to push his punches and lacks speed and snap. I don’t think he’s really a monster puncher despite his high KO percentage, similar to guys like Vitali and Arreola.
If he gets hit like that against Joshua, there’s no way he stays conscious.

I think his chin is OK.
Ortiz has a reputation as a monster puncher, but to me he seems to push his punches and lacks speed and snap. I don’t think he’s really a monster puncher despite his high KO percentage, similar to guys like Vitali and Arreola.
If he gets hit like that against Joshua, there’s no way he stays conscious.
Joshua took a thousand years to knock out the weakest chin in elite HW history.

He's like Pavlik.... You get pound him and maybe even get him alittle noodle-legged in there.... But he's going to quickly recover.
He does a great job staying up even when he's hurt (which could be his undoing at some point.... given a ref who's quick to stop a fight).

Joshua took a thousand years to knock out the weakest chin in elite HW history.
I'm not saying Joshua would beat Wilder, I just stated that Ortiz doesn't crack as hard as his reputation. I think a Joshua-Wilder fight is 50-50, and may actually favor Wilder slightly at this point.

Back