Wilder vs Stiverne

Well, I've never posted that he was scared. I don't believe many fighters are actually scared of others; it's just a word fans throw around. It's usually down to promoters and managers when fights are avoided. Fighters are, in general, a confident breed; they have to be in order to succeed.

But Wilder thinking he can beat Fury and WLAD and Wilder actually doing so are two entirely different things.

Wilder has widely been called protected, thats what I mean. Wilder wants to get in there with them, I think it will happen sooner than later. Fury seems like the proper choice right now imo. Id bet my house that he will never be ready for Wlad (without Wlad being completely shot to shit) but he absolutely shouldnt take that fight right now.

Beating Fury is not unreasonable whatsoever.

Agree that throwing Wilder in with Wlad or even Fury would be a waste. Build the guy up a little against mandatories.

Wilder has widely been called protected, thats what I mean. Wilder wants to get in there with them, I think it will happen sooner than later. Fury seems like the proper choice right now imo. Id bet my house that he will never be ready for Wlad (without Wlad being completely shot to shit) but he absolutely shouldnt take that fight right now.

Beating Fury is not unreasonable whatsoever.

Well, except it is. You can post that he has "devastating power" all you want, but he hasn't actually shown that he has devastating power at the top level, nor that he's smart enough for Fury at this point. What he showed against Stiverne was a decent jab and straight right; he's hardly showing that his strengths are Fury's weaknesses. It's a bit ludicrous to think Wilder is going to have spent years just fighting non-entities, beat Stiverne and then start beating up on some of the top five heavyweights in the world. Even if I accepted that his power was all that - and I don't - he doesn't have the seasoning.

If he were to fight three or four times in 2015 against different opponents to try to progress and learn? Sure, a Fury fight in 2016 is reasonable. But if he were to fight him now he'd actually be an underdog for a good reason - he hasn't got the experience, hasn't beaten anyone as good as Fury, hasn't faced a live body of Fury's size and talents, and hasn't knocked out anyone at that level.

Fury is a very risky fight for Wilder. Even putting aside the in-ring stuff, if he loses, what then? He loses not just his title but any notoriety he gained by beating Stiverne. Why? Because he spent years fighting non-entities - whilst focusing on learning in the gym - and then lost in his second step up. He'd be better served building himself up with title defences and continuing to learn. From a promotional standpoint it builds up interest in any eventual fight with Fury, and it also gives him a softer cushion to fall back on should he lose.

Well, except it is. You can post that he has "devastating power" all you want, but he hasn't actually shown that he has devastating power at the top level, nor that he's smart enough for Fury at this point. What he showed against Stiverne was a decent jab and straight right; he's hardly showing that his strengths are Fury's weaknesses. It's a bit ludicrous to think Wilder is going to have spent years just fighting non-entities, beat Stiverne and then start beating up on some of the top five heavyweights in the world. Even if I accepted that his power was all that - and I don't - he doesn't have the seasoning.

If he were to fight three or four times in 2015 against different opponents to try to progress and learn? Sure, a Fury fight in 2016 is reasonable. But if he were to fight him now he'd actually be an underdog for a good reason - he hasn't got the experience, hasn't beaten anyone as good as Fury, hasn't faced a live body of Fury's size and talents, and hasn't knocked out anyone at that level.

Fury is a very risky fight for Wilder. Even putting aside the in-ring stuff, if he loses, what then? He loses not just his title but any notoriety he gained by beating Stiverne. Why? Because he spent years fighting non-entities - whilst focusing on learning in the gym - and then lost in his second step up. He'd be better served building himself up with title defences and continuing to learn. From a promotional standpoint it builds up interest in any eventual fight with Fury, and it also gives him a softer cushion to fall back on should he lose.

You think higher of Fury than most do.

You think higher of Fury than most do.

I think more highly of Fury than most on here do, and I'm not drinking the kool-aid in regards to Wilder. Combination of both.

I was praising Fury on here when the consensus was he was crap and Price was going to knock him out on the way to becoming the first British "world" heavyweight champion since Lewis. I was derided for posting that Fury was better then, had a higher ceiling, and that Price was crap - and that Wilder would go further than Price, but Fury would end up better than both. Stand by that.

You have indeed, and I do think Fury is better than he gets credit for.

Hopefully Wilder is back in the ring soon.

If he's matched against the right opponents he can definitely improve. I'm sceptical as to how high Wilder's ceiling really is, but a lot of that can fall on a fighter's mentality and psychological make up. Wladimir at one point had all the physical tools but the idea of him being a dominant heavyweight was laughable. So I don't think it's beyond reasonable that Wilder can get to that second tier below Wlad - just dubious. It's hard to tell with a fighter until they actually face real adversity.

He is better than some folk give him credit for, mind. He always has been.

If he's matched against the right opponents he can definitely improve. I'm sceptical as to how high Wilder's ceiling really is, but a lot of that can fall on a fighter's mentality and psychological make up. Wladimir at one point had all the physical tools but the idea of him being a dominant heavyweight was laughable. So I don't think it's beyond reasonable that Wilder can get to that second tier below Wlad - just dubious. It's hard to tell with a fighter until they actually face real adversity.

He is better than some folk give him credit for, mind. He always has been.

As a fan I was near panic when Stiverne landed on him. I didnt think he would eat those as well as he did.

Aye, I thought Stiverne would have followed up and had him in trouble, but Wilder showed composure and Stiverne seemed to lack the energy to really follow those up. It's easy to say Stiverne was fatigued as he did seem lethargic, but he was landing body shots clean and so it's not as if he was landing no punches at all. Wilder can only fight the Stiverne that showed up, and the Stiverne that showed up didn't put him away when he landed clean. Wilder showed patience and composure, and Stiverne's plan to wear him down with body shots didn't pay off. (Plus although I don't think Wilder is the terminator he's made out to be, he clearly does have power - perhaps those shots are partly why Stiverne was so lethargic at points.)

It certainly wasn't a bad display from Wilder.

Stiverne vs Cain LOOMS

yfjhu7odbrahjr9pcld9.gif

This guy is the future...

Anthony-Joshua-Action-ImagesPaul-Currie.jpg

Better technique, patient precise finishing *with textbook combo's, not the flailing away as if swatting a swarm of wasps, like Deontay.
He could even be the 2nd best HW now? But it'll be a couple years until we find out.

Probably the Highest Ceiling of any of the up and comers

This guy is the future...

Anthony-Joshua-Action-ImagesPaul-Currie.jpg

Better technique, patient precise finishing *with textbook combo's, not the flailing away as if swatting a swarm of wasps, like Deontay.
He could even be the 2nd best HW now? But it'll be a couple years until we find out.

Ok, Eddie.

I miss Lennox Lewis , watching some old highlights , that man was special and was a treat when he was on his game

Bob Velin @BobVelin

"Showtime says @BronzeBomber's win vs. Bermane Stiverne Sat. averaged 1.24M viewers, with a peak of 1.34. Ranks as the network's 4th best"

Is that good for Showtime ? Alot of people don't have showtime

Back