Wilder vs Provetkin on May 21

I give him props because American champs are taught that they are the center of the universe and that the idea of going abroad is inconceivable to them. Most American champs would just drop the belt and blame the sanctioning body, If Wilder is really doing this, he'll become a true road warrior, which is one of the highest praises given in boxing.

also, he could get horribly robbed

James de gales first defence was in Canada. Tyson furys first defence is likely to be in Germany again, and he has equal chance of being robbed as wilder does. Sometimes the champ had to fight away from home. I personally can't see what the big deal is. He's the champion so he should defend his title where ever he has to

James de gales first defence was in Canada. Tyson furys first defence is likely to be in Germany again, and he has equal chance of being robbed as wilder does. Sometimes the champ had to fight away from home. I personally can't see what the big deal is. He's the champion so he should defend his title where ever he has to

Yeah, foreign champs go around the world all the time. Except Wilder is American, and Americans traditionally hold a hissy fit if their title defenses aren't held in the US, as though foreigners don't get robbed in the US and like its a big insult to them if they don't fight in the US. I'm impressed he ignored his team, because I'm sure they would do everything in their power to get him to not fighter Povetkin. That's balls right there.

Sometimes the champ had to fight away from home. I personally can't see what the big deal is. He's the champion so he should defend his title where ever he has to
Tell that to Sven Ottke or Andre Ward.

Its generally considered a bad idea to fight on your opponents turf, regardless of titles. This is not some idea we all just came up with.

Its generally considered a bad idea to fight on your opponents turf, regardless of titles. This is not some idea we all just came up with.

or Chris John

Not so sure why wilder is getting so much respect for fighting in Russia; povetkin is the mandatory, he won the purse so wilder has no fckin choice other than ditch his belt, which would make him look like a c***! Champions defend their belt whether it be in their backyard or Timbuktu.
And dodgy decisions happen everywhere; even in the uk an us

Because it's not going to some other city or state it's Mother Freaking Russia. Wilder thus far is a fairly protected fighter so to take a monumental step up in class on the other side of the earth is impressive. Most people here with a couple exceptions expected him to drop his belt if this happened. I thought he would fight in Russia simply because he said he would and the money he is getting is fantastic. Make no mistake though this is a balls deep maneuver and he could very easily be robbed or jobbed or ped-ed for taking the risk. Yes in the olden days of boxing everyone went everywhere and fought everyone but this isn't Cinderalla Man anymore. Ten of millions of dollars in revenue and future revenue are on the line when stuff like this happens so anything is possible.

You've named 2 fighters. How about the hundreds of champions that have had to defend their title abroad? And they are poor examples; 1 of the most talented fighters of a generation who probably feels he doesn't have to travel, and one of the most protected fighters ever who has little respect outside of his own country.

Wilders team have followed the path of least resistance his whole career. Even his defences have been against sub standard opposition. He's finally given a challenge and people are falling over themselves to pat him on the back. Laughable!
As per my first post; he's the champ, his job is to defend his belt, and he would come off a c*** if he bottled it like bowe did. I'll give him respect after the fight; win or lose!

Last edited:
You've named 2 fighters. How about the hundreds of champions that have had to defend their title abroad? And they are poor examples; 1 of the most talented fighters of a generation who probably feels he doesn't have to travel, and one of the most protected fighters ever who has little respect outside of his own country.

Wilders team have followed the path of least resistance his whole career. Even his defences have been against sub standard opposition. He's finally given a challenge and people are falling over themselves to pat him on the back. Laughable!
As per my first post; he's the champ, his job is to defend his belt, and he would come off a c*** if he bottled it like bowe did. I'll give him respect after the fight; win or lose!
The champs dont usually travel to the opponent. Not sure why you think that is a common thing, it isnt.

Thought it was some can named Provetkin. Shwew.

I Must Break You! With some roles reversed. Deontay's a big m'fer.

The champs dont usually travel to the opponent. Not sure why you think that is a common thing, it isnt.

Of course it's not common but it's sometimes necessary. He lost the purse so he has to travel and defend his belt against the mandatory; that's his role as the organisations champion! I find it strange that so many people thought he'd bottle it and ditch his belt, rather than fight outside of his home country, the first time in 5 title fights. It's not common for world champions to ditch their belt rather than fight the mandatory either. I think a few on here must have a pretty low opinion of him

Of course it's not common but it's sometimes necessary. He lost the purse so he has to travel and defend his belt against the mandatory; that's his role as the organisations champion! I find it strange that so many people thought he'd bottle it and ditch his belt, rather than fight outside of his home country, the first time in 5 title fights. It's not common for world champions to ditch their belt rather than fight the mandatory either. I think a few on here must have a pretty low opinion of him
We all know how it works. We're saying that fighting in your backyard is an advantage and one that has often not worked out so well for the opponent.

And its not that any of us doubted Wilder's willingness to fight, but Al Haymon willing to let one of the few guys on his roster with real star potential go to Russia against a guy like Povetkin.

I think Wilder is going to outbox him pretty easily to be honest, but I question how fair the judging will be, hopefully Wilder managed to negotiate some neutral judges.

Kind of taken back at this conversation lol. Theres a reason folks didnt think the fight would happen.

Anyway. Glad it is.

No reason that the #4 contender shouldn't travel to fight the #3 contender.

Its a title fight not a Ring magazine fight.
List of boxers that can't travel because they are champions: Lucas Browne, Deontay Wilder, Charles Martin, Tyson Fury

They reside in three different countries, so they'll never be able to fight each other. But that's OK because they are all "world champions" and they have beat one great fighter between the four of them. The promoters and the fans of boxing really do deserve each other sometimes.

or Chris John
Chris John fought 10 times outside of Indonesia. One of the two times he fought in the US, he got robbed of a win. I can't think of any of John's fights that took place in Indonesia where John won an egregious robbery. The Marquez fight could have gone either way.

List of boxers that can't travel because they are champions: Lucas Browne, Deontay Wilder, Charles Martin, Tyson Fury

They reside in three different countries, so they'll never be able to fight each other. But that's OK because they are all "world champions" and they have beat one great fighter between the four of them. The promoters and the fans of boxing really do deserve each other sometimes.
I didn't say they "couldn't" fight in other countries.

plenty of guys have. It's generally only American, Thai, Japanese, and some European champs who don't.

Chris John fought 10 times outside of Indonesia. One of the two times he fought in the US, he got robbed of a win. I can't think of any of John's fights that took place in Indonesia where John won an egregious robbery. The Marquez fight could have gone either way.

why didnt he fight juanma,gamboa then

why didnt he fight juanma,gamboa then
maybe (shock) they didn't want to come to him? It's not like they didn't duck Caballero. Maybe they couldn't come to terms? After all, John isn't pulling money outside of Indonesia, and they had no interest in going to Indonesia, despite their claims that they could knock him out.

Back