Wilder vs Ortiz close for Barclays in October

Who wins and how, Wilder or Ortiz?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the fight fell through tomorrow, everyone would say that this was the fight that needed to happen and that Ortiz was a real test.

Thing is, it's all relative.

Is Ortiz the killer Innernetz fanboy lore made him out to be during/shortly after the steroid bust?

He's hardly looked like it in the last couple of years, whilst advancing on forty.

Is the "clean" ('scuse the scare-quotes) version of Ortiz still far & away without a shadow of a doubt the best fighter by quite some way that Wilder's managed to get in the ring with?

Quite obviously, yes.

I personally think Luis Ortiz is a lumberer of the calibre of several who've had some limited success at heavy over the last few years, & I feel that a "drug-free" versh isn't gonna be setting the world on fire or bothering the elite, hence why I take the piss out of him. But compared to fuckin' Carlos Molina, Andrszej Szpilka, that French dude & the corpse of Arreola, of course he's a legit step-up.

Any move to make this fight should be applauded.

At the moment I'll take Wilder by decision. Counter left will be trouble for him though. I think he gets rocked for sure, maybe ends up on his ass at some point.

Massive props to Wilder for taking this fight as it's a dangerous one and will be his biggest win if he gets through it. Dillian Whyte in the UK seems like it'd be a much better business decision for him. Personally picking Ortiz if it happens.

I'd favour Whyte against Wilder. He nearly cracked AJ. His experience from that fight should/would carry him against Wilder I believe.

I'd favour Whyte against Wilder. He nearly cracked AJ. His experience from that fight should/would carry him against Wilder I believe.

He didn't do better than Pulev against Chisora.
And that was his last fight too.

Plus, I think the version of AJ that Whyte fought was too green for that conclusion as well. He was AJ's first decent opponent in all his pro career. AJ improved since then, and it showed from the boxing skills against Klitschko. I don't see any change in Whyte at all.

I'd rather wait to see how Wilder does against Cuban Kong first, but if I was forced to guess, Wilder Knocks out Dillian middle rounds.

Pretty true except that he doesn't mention the main reason that AJ and Hearn aren't interested in Ortiz, he's not a sellable name. Hearn has already said that Ortiz would be a very tough fight to promote. If Ortiz beats Wilder then he'll have a good chance of making a fight with AJ.
That is complete and total nonsense. No HW other than AJ and Wlad are big names. So if that were true I guess AJ will only fight Wlad from now on.

They dont want Ortiz because Ortiz is a good boxer.

That is complete and total nonsense. No HW other than AJ and Wlad are big names. So if that were true I guess AJ will only fight Wlad from now on.

They dont want Ortiz because Ortiz is a good boxer.
Believe or not if you want. What about Wilder? He's a big enough name. People in the UK know who Wilder is, but no one outside of proper boxing fans will have heard of Ortiz. High risk low reward fight. Whatever happens AJ will fight the winner of Ortiz and Wilder I guarantee it.

Parker/Fury winner will be a bigger fight for AJ than Ortiz which could be made after a Wlad rematch. They've been trying to get Whyte into a title fight as they know a rematch would sell very well here also.

Believe or not if you want. What about Wilder? He's a big enough name. People in the UK know who Wilder is, but no one outside of proper boxing fans will have heard of Ortiz. High risk low reward fight. Whatever happens AJ will fight the winner of Ortiz and Wilder I guarantee it.
Wilder is not a name. No one gives a shit about him honestly.

Not saying AJ is ducking or anything like that but lacking drawing power isnt why they arent in a hurry to fight him. Ortiz is the worst style matchup for AJ imo. Pretty widely at that.

Wilder is not a name. No one gives a shit about him honestly.

Not saying AJ is ducking or anything like that but lacking drawing power isnt why they arent in a hurry to fight him. Ortiz is the worst style matchup for AJ imo. Pretty widely at that.

Ortiz is a harder fight for Deontay then Joshua is. Joshua fights straight up and down. There aren't many angles you have to deal with. He's a puncher not a boxer.

I mean hate on Deontay all you want but he will fight anyone

My impression is that British boxing fans know of/about Wilder, and either don't know Ortiz or often have a low opinion of Ortiz given that his last two fights are the only ones they've seen.

Every time I see Ortiz his physique never ceases to amaze me. Roids or not, the guy really is a naturally barrel chested brick shithouse with reach to go with it. This is no walkover for Deontay, but I still believe in him and his ability to get it done with that .50 cal Alabama Jam. America likes guns, Deontay was born with one embedded in his right hand. #BombSquad.

My impression is that British boxing fans know of/about Wilder, and either don't know Ortiz or often have a low opinion of Ortiz given that his last two fights are the only ones they've seen.
Explain please? I'm fairly sure I know how Ortiz fights.

Explain please? I'm fairly sure I know how Ortiz fights.
I don't mean the kind of people on here who are British like me or you, I'm just talking about casual fans who start talking about boxing around an AJ fight at the pub or on Facebook, just my impression

I mean hate on Deontay all you want but he will fight anyone
laughing-gifs-walk-away.gif

Who else has went to Russia for Povetkin now playing ball with Ortiz....?

No one?

He deserves full credit for trying to fight Povetkin for sure but being in negotiations with someone he said a few times he'd never fight means absolutely nothing until the fight is actually signed and sealed.

If guys got credit for the opponents they almost possibly maybe might have fought boxing wouldn't make any sense at all.

He deserves full credit for trying to fight Povetkin for sure but being in negotiations with someone he said a few times he'd never fight means absolutely nothing until the fight is actually signed and sealed.

If guys got credit for the opponents they almost possibly maybe might have fought boxing wouldn't make any sense at all.
If it doesnt come to be sure. Ortiz & Co are saying its nearly finalized though. No reason right now to assume it wont.

Assuming it does, it erases any and all conversation of Wilder avoiding the tough fights imo. But Im sure theres a handful of people who will just turn to discredit Ortiz.

Back