Wilder vs Ortiz close for Barclays in October

Who wins and how, Wilder or Ortiz?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if this does come off, its easily Wilders best win.

I have been a massive critic of him(Wilder), but its a fairly legit win and is a good fight to make.

Its about time some of these so called top HWs started fighting each other so we can actually find out who is the best

Pretty much sums it up for me. Good on Wilder for taking a risk.

Ortiz is a big question mark to me. Kind of an asterisk, because he was wrecking people, including Jennings who I feel is on par with Stiverne. Then he tests positive, and his only fight since, he looked like shit.

I think Wilder will stop him by having the range and better cardio.

Ortiz is a big question mark to me. Kind of an asterisk, because he was wrecking people, including Jennings who I feel is on par with Stiverne. Then he tests positive, and his only fight since, he looked like shit.

I think Wilder will stop him by having the range and better cardio.

He is a good boxer, one of the best in the division. Heavyweights (in this era) are not really known to be combination punchers, but Ortiz can actually do some things and his reach is pretty ridiculous for his height. But while his hands aren't slow, he still seems lumbering and sometimes inactive to me, just because of his size and build. Sometimes I wonder if the steroids were giving him just enough explosiveness and stamina to use his superior boxing skills to his advantage.

If he's clean and slower as a result, Wilder may keep his at a distance and outwork him, occasionally landing big right hands. I don't see a 38 year old guy that is built like Ortiz having the kind of stamina that Wilder has now that he is clean.

Wilder will not want to get in close though, Ortiz is just a more polished inside fighter in every way.

I had no idea Ortiz reach is as long as it is? Listed at 84". Thats 1" on Wilder's.

Wilder will not want to get in close though, Ortiz is just a more polished inside fighter in every way.

Yup, that is why I think the upper cut will be crucial. Wilder sometimes stifles himself, and if Ortiz can time him coming in like that. Or even be able to just push a little bit off when they collide, create a little space, and land it.

The hook will be harder to land, because of Wilder's technique. His arms moving all around will make his shoulders and arms catch hooks, even if Wilder is not meaning to do so. Throwing a cook will also make it easier to clinch.. If that makes sense

I had no idea Ortiz reach is as long as it is? Listed at 84". Thats 1" on Wilder's.

Yeah he has freakishly long arms for his height. It is part of what makes him a good counterpuncher I think, he has surprising range.

Yeah he has freakishly long arms for his height. It is part of what makes him a good counterpuncher I think, he has surprising range.
This is going to be fun. Someone is taking a nap.

This is going to be fun. Someone is taking a nap.
Yeah, and somebody's stock is going to sky-rocket as a result. I actually think the loser will recover fine, popularity wise, as well since it is almost guaranteed to be an entertaining fight.

The fuss about Ortiz isn't what it used to be. His recent performances have been underwhelming, and I don't think many reasonable fans will be expecting him to win.

I read that Ortiz did poorly in his last outing, against david allen. Watched the fight, and did not think Ortiz did poorly at all. David allen has an akward style and knows his way around the ring. I had ortiz controlling it the entire time which is the most anyone should expect from a professional boxer.

I don't think that team Wilder would've taken this fight unless they were sure that he was going to KO ortiz. There's always something going on in the background... I voted for Ortiz but I honestly think that Wilder has a very good chance for the KO.

I think it's often more so the Malik Scott fight that people are referencing as the one that took some of the wind out of his sails. Go check that one and let us know what you think, especially when compared to Wilder's fight against Scott.

I'll agree with you to some degree on the White Rhino as well. I think i thought he did enough to win his last fight.

I bet it goes the distance.
Wilder can win a dec, he showed he can run away on the cards vs Stiverne, but I really think he can put Ortiz away if he doesn't get lost in a game of trying to meet Ortiz class for class. We know that Ortiz has the skill advantage, but Wilder seems to simply touch opponents and send them to the canvas, so while his reach advantage might be negated in this one, his ability to land dynamite at almost any point of the fight, and his history of finding a way to put hands on opponents has shown that most opponents can't take it when he lands too many times before night night.

Major props if Wilder takes this fight, Luis Ortiz is a individual NOONE wants to fight. If he beats Ortiz he'll send a message to the entire HW division.

Love this fight. I really like both guys alot. I think I'll root for Ortiz but it would be cool for deontay to surprise me.

I think Wilder can win this one if he can keep up a decent pace and outwork the sometimes lazy Ortiz. If it's a KO win I see that for Wilder. Good fight, can't wait. Just hope Stiverne can't mess it up.

The fuss about Ortiz isn't what it used to be. His recent performances have been underwhelming, and I don't think many reasonable fans will be expecting him to win.
If the fight fell through tomorrow, everyone would say that this was the fight that needed to happen and that Ortiz was a real test.

Back