Wilder Plans To Weigh 245 Pounds In Fury Rematch

In the words of @JayE, claiming that Wilder's power is overrated is one of the most interesting conclusions drawn from a fight that had sooo many ones.

I guess Fury getting up did mess with Wilder a bit? Because his speed and unique frame that makes his such a fast a powerful puncher is his strength not his weakness.

He was talking in an interview about Fury having "big man" power compared to his "punching power" so I think while Fury wasn't a single hard shot kinda guy, his accumulation was still felt, and Wilder's face did swell. I guess it's only natural to a fighter to try and "repair" what they felt their biggest disadvantage was, but Deontay just needed to keep a cooler head on the big stage.

The guy just put Fury to sleep for fucks sake. Fury just happened to get back up.

nothing special .. #1 fury got up from that and started backing wilder up and even stunned him .. basically shit all over wilder's 'power' .. #2 happened in the 12th round right after fury'd been outboxing him for almost 11 rds prior .. a fury who's rusty, recovering from abusing his body and mind .. coming off massive weight loss and little ring exp for the past 3 yrs .. maybe fury was a little tired and that's why he got caught or he was showboating a bit too much .. wilder has nothing for fury unless those two things happen ..

if anything wilder should be embarrassed it took him that long to get his glove on fury considering the circumstances .. he's the heavyweight champion who's in top shape .. a guy who kos everyone and he couldn't ko a flabby guy who's barely fought anyone the past 3 yrs and had massive weight loss and mental problems .. fury will win easily next time if he stays focused and on point with his diet and training .. it'll go down like the klitschko fight

Last edited:
Can anyone post the actual interview in which Wilder says he'll go to 245lbs? OP's article doesn't source it or even provide a direct quote.

Good luck. Wilder's frame is not built to handle that kind of mass. He's better off staying trim.

Clutching at straws is my first thought.

A 245lbs Wilder, its almost as stupid as that video he put on social media about a long count

If he seriously tries to, I think he'll find out pretty quickly how detrimental that is. He doesn't have the frame to support 245 pounds and be an effective boxer. 225ish, sure, but definitely not 245.

well you know what i mean, its not the muscle that propels him, its the quickness of hsi hands. one slip your dead.

Yeah I think Wilders power is very speed and momentum based. Explosive power like a whip cracking or a chain being swung around very quickly. Its not that thudding Foreman type power where his hands just seem really heavy no matter what he throws. Foreman power can be helped by mass, Wilder power could possibly be hurt by it if it makes him slower.

He was fine in the 220 range durning the first Stiverne fight, that weight should be enough for him.
He should try to work a bit more on balance and timing, it's hard to improve at this stage, but those things could add something to his training.
I don't know a lot about his training routine, but maybe doing some single leg box jumpes when you are out of camp could help making his legs and glutes even morre explosive and add even more to his punching power, but I'm not an expert.

Clutching at straws is my first thought.

A 245lbs Wilder, its almost as stupid as that video he put on social media about a long count

Maybe, and he just doesn't really know how he'll beat Fury. There is no quick fix and Fury will be even better in a rematch.

Maybe, and he just doesn't really know how he'll beat Fury. There is no quick fix and Fury will be even better in a rematch.
It is a quick fix. Settle down, throw your jabs.

Its not that Wilder doesnt have the ability. Its that he was mind fucked and chased a KO with one shot.

Fury can certainly be better, but so can Wilder.

Yeah I think Wilders power is very speed and momentum based. Explosive power like a whip cracking or a chain being swung around very quickly. Its not that thudding Foreman type power where his hands just seem really heavy no matter what he throws. Foreman power can be helped by mass, Wilder power could possibly be hurt by it if it makes him slower.
yh i agree. already bad enough his stance is shit. if he had another 30 pounds gonna be slower and more stuck in the mud.

Wilder wasn't "gassed". He was tired, but you cant say he was gassed when his punches was still lightning speed to drop Fury. He has better cardio in the 12th than Conor does in the third. lol

Its not that Wilder doesnt have the ability. Its that he was mind fucked and chased a KO with one shot.

or throw some clean shots for a change.

wilder threw like 5 technical punches in that fight, and 3 of those dropped fury. if he wasn't so hell bent on swinging like an idiot, he would've sparked him out double quick. but considering he's been doing that for 40+ fights now, i'm not holding my breath for him to make the adjustment. it's a damn shame.

I don't think Wilder has spent enough time 'boxing' to be able to just turn it on when faced with someone like Fury. And if he is planning to really go up in weight to 245lb that's not conducive to boxing, that sounds like he wants to one shot knock out Fury again.

If he felt powerless in the clinch, I get it.

Seriously though, he needs to plan on bringing his lunch pail, use the jab 25+ times a round and forget Fury has a head for the first 8 rounds or so.

Back