Wild Wild Country - new six-part Netflix doc about a cult, a scandal, and a town in Oregon

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Guestx

Guestx Guest

@Monkadelic tipped me off to this one yesterday and I watched the first episode last night. It seems pretty interesting so far.

The one-sentence premise from Netflix:

Anyone else checking it out?

Ken Fresno and bandicoot like this.
  2. octopus

octopus Blue Belt

I did the whole hippie thing once, traveling from organic farm to organic farm trading work for room and board... probably a big reason I'm conservative these days(saw the left's manipulating ways first hand). I heard story's about osho/Bhagwan/rajneesh, holy shit did he abuse/use his believers. Also funny dude with a lot of desires, have they talked about all his rolls Royce's yet?

3. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I'm only one ep in so we're just starting to get into the story but they have talked about how he didn't eschew wealth, like most other Indian religious movements.

4. TribalDrumz

TribalDrumz Purple Belt

Weirdos waste of time same old shit wanting their cult back.

5. sissypunch

sissypunch limp wrists of fury

sex cults are where it's at

yamahacrasher likes this.
  6. Johnson

Johnson Green Belt Platinum Member Banned

I finished this yesterday. I hadn’t known a thing about it so it all came across as pretty interesting. The last episode about their trials and aftermath kind of dragged, and I had gotten my fill of it by then, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

They actually did I really good job at telling the perspectives from both sides. In the end though,
    it was like all cults in that the main guy and top people were basically greedy, power hungry con artists. Dude had like 20 rolls royces and a million dollar watch.

7. octopus

octopus Blue Belt

How it always starts(jack nicholson nodding/creepily smiling gif)

Not sure if this is spoilers or not but I'm really curious how they're going to portray him. He was genuinely perfect at manipulating idealistic 'dreamers' out of everything and is really a perfect case study on how 'post modern' thinking as well as communist practices can go super wrong. He talked people into signing over their house to the commune, talked married couples into 'sharing'(the dude genuinely banged a new girl everyday if not several), gets even darker when you involve children/underage sex which definitely took place... fuck man, it's been so long since I thought of this dude/way of life. Really explains a lot on my current views. Also all that said, I still appreciate the dude for what he was/did. He was a god damn rockstar, it's not his fault people got lost in the sauce(yea it is but those are the dangers in believing in an 'enlightened being').

Reyesnuthugr and Guestx like this.
  8. Guestx

Guestx Guest

You mentioned a few times your journey from the left to the right.

How did all that go down exactly? What changed your thinking?

9. Pliny Pete

Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

Looks like something I'd like
    Saw it on Netflix last night when I had a free night and was looking for a movie to watch, wish I woulda checked it out then

Guestx likes this.
  10. Monkadelic

Monkadelic Mr. Bulldops

Agreed. It crashed a bit in the last episode, but is still worth watching imo. Some interesting characters involved.

Johnson likes this.
  11. Losfer Words

Losfer Words Purple Belt

Just started it, good so far. I had read about the poisoning years ago in a book called Germs (I think) but I did not realize it was Osho until I heard about Wild Wild Country. Actually I don't think I knew who Osho was when I read that book so I glossed over it. Like @octopus I have spent time working on hippy farms and saw manipulations and power moves. I did not flip from left to right though, I just became an anarchist...and episode 1 had my anarchist alarms ringing all over the place.

Guestx likes this.
  12. PoundMeToo

PoundMeToo Gold Belt

far cry 5 is real!

13. PoundMeToo

PoundMeToo Gold Belt

This show is freaking amazing. So crazy this actually happened.

Guestx likes this.
  14. Guestx

Guestx Guest

It really is some "truth is stranger than fiction" kind of shit.

15. TidWell

TidWell Red Belt

This is that Indian dude I posted about in that other thread where you liked the guys comment who said how do I know those things and dissing me, yet you post this video docu but were dissing me for knowing about him in that Allison mack thread.

I remember that in the 80s dude was getting worshiped by those american women it was weird, they also poisoned voters.

here is the post I made in the allison mack thread, the guy you posted liked dissing me deleted his post though
    http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/139776005/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/allison-mack-apparently-recruited-sex-slaves-for-a-cult.3734463/

16. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I remember you making that post but don't know what you're talking about with the rest of this.

17. CerebralKnievel

CerebralKnievel Double Alpha

Made it about an hour into this. Netflix has a knack for cutting epic trailers for incredibly boring shows of theirs.

18. PoundMeToo

PoundMeToo Gold Belt

I'm on the 2nd episode. I'm loving this crazy ass lawyer dude. He is still so hard on the cult.

19. Guestx

Guestx Guest

You thought it was boring? How?

I found it fascinating and, judging by some of the other responses in here, I'm not the only one.

20. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Shit, you still got a long way to go.

You have to admit, it was pretty impressive the way they just took a tract of land and built a whole, functional city.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018