Wife brings home a surprise today....

Polymer. I always replace the wood on my AK's with the polymer ones from K-Var (US made with the heat shield).

I was just looking at the plum ones yesterday. I don't have any plum, I think I may buy some.

Polymer. I always replace the wood on my AK's with the polymer ones from K-Var (US made with the heat shield).

I was just looking at the plum ones yesterday. I don't have any plum, I think I may buy some.

Kvar plum is $90-115, Bulgy surplus is $45-60. Bulgy has SS heat shield. MarkW1 has some nice sets- I got my plum set from him- for $45 over on theakforum.net. He's also on theakfiles.com. There's some nice plum mags up for sale over there too. I should have a few coming in the mail soon. Of all the things, Bulgarian black poly mags are in demand right now, and they were $10 each a few months ago. I have sold all my stash of Circle 10s and Circle 21s for a decent profit or gotten good trades (one guy traded straight up- my black Circle 10s for Russian plums- 4 for 4!) If you have any old wood stocks to sell, pm me here or over there- I like fooling with the different stocks, and different finishes (I'm hunto on the Files, and dussandr on akforum).

Guns are marvelous pieces of engineering. For instance, take the 1911: It was originally designed in the late 1890s and it is still effective and widely used today. How many other mechanical devices have such an enduring design?

How often are you holding something that initiates controlled explosions in your hand?

Many guns have a strong historical element to them as well.

I guess if you have no appreciation for mechanical engineering, history, self defense, or sheer manly power I can understand how you wouldn't see how a gun is something special.

Well before you go and make some super deep assumption based off of zero information, I have served in the military and have handled over 50 different weapons, and have owned hand guns myself. So in order for me to appreciate mechanical engineering, history, self defense and man power I need to consider some old POS pistol "special"? The 1911 is still effective because its an effin hand gun. The knife was invented thousands of years ago, and is still effective today so I dont understand how thats a point of leverage. I wouldnt exactly call a gun a "marvelous piece of engineering". Theres nothing to it. A watch on the other hand, would be a marvelous piece of engineering.

Well before you go and make some super deep assumption based off of zero information, I have served in the military and have handled over 50 different weapons, and have owned hand guns myself. So in order for me to appreciate mechanical engineering, history, self defense and man power I need to consider some old POS pistol "special"? The 1911 is still effective because its an effin hand gun. The knife was invented thousands of years ago, and is still effective today so I dont understand how thats a point of leverage. I wouldnt exactly call a gun a "marvelous piece of engineering". Theres nothing to it. A watch on the other hand, would be a marvelous piece of engineering.

Don't come in my thread about guns and tell us how lame it all is. You don't like it get the fuck out.

Stop posting in the gun threads in the weapons forum if you don't like guns.

I got my new Luger grips - Czech polys off Ebay. They were cheap ($35) and far better than the old worn out wood grips- they were loose. These I just finished fitting, and are tight and have a nice checkering.
DSC03635.jpg

DSC03634.jpg

Got a revolver for cheap last night:
DSC03638.jpg

EAA .357/.38. Wife has been wanting an extra snub around, and this one was at the right price :icon_twis K-frame size, 6 shots instead of 5, steel instead of poly. It'll go in her desk, loaded with Winchester PDX1 130 gr.

Last edited:
Picked up a WASR 10/63 for cheap today. Guy was unloading a whole package of AK stuff, and I got in on it. Pics later, no light, but no cant to the front sight, it shot well, and he had a ton of stuff to go with it. I've been photographing stuff all afternoon, writing ads.

Shot at the guys house I got the WASR from, he has a steel plate set up 440 yards from his porch, and we walked out about 40 yards or so, and plinked at the steel. First up was teh CETME- it rang the steel loud and clear. Then the WASR- no problem. My Saiga 5.45 hit with boring regularity, and after a few shots, I was ringing it with the Draco- one handed, at 400 yards. Then, the Luger was up. It took a couple of shots to get the drop, then it too rang the plate repeatedly. We also shot his PSL,and that rang it easily too.

My son shot a gun for the first time today. First the 5.45, as it's the easiest recoil, then the Draco, and finally my Luger. Soon he was shooting the Luger one-handed, all confident. *beats chest and roars*

is this what you do for a living or something?

^^^^ cool pistola^^^^

I checked out a Taurus PT911 in .45 that was slick as hell. Taurus has a mediocre reputation but I may have to gamble on one. I've done a lot of triggers, and this one had a sweet trigger right out of the box.

Teh WASR:
DSC03658.jpg

I do this to pay for my hobby.

I picked up a WASR< full spam can of 5.45 ammo, and a shitload of AK parts in trade for the CETME. I gave $550 for the CETME: the WASR sells now for $500 or $525. 1080 rounds of 5.45 is $150 delivered, or $129 +$25 shipping. I've sold $137 worth of parts so far, and have $100 worth left (conservative estimate)
so I turned a $550 CETME into
$500 - WASR
$150 - ammo
$230 - misc parts
-------

$880

My wife does all my packing and shipping, so every once in a while I 'kick up' to her, to use a Sopranos expression. Making offers on whole packages instead of single things can net a discount, then I turn that stuff around.
The guy I got the parts from had the same shit up for sale for 2 weeks with no bites. I have an old digital camera that is finicky about light but takes incredible pictures, so maybe thats the difference.
It keeps an old retiree busy and outta trouble....

Last edited:
I think I'll be picking up a tantal soon for a great price. Love the grip change on the luger. I don't think they're as "classy" looking but certainly are much more functional.

Lugers seem to have a reputation for fine craftsmanship, and along with that, a rep for jamming. The tighter and finer the parts are fitted together, the finer the piece; but loose tolerances contribute to a guns reliability (think AK and Glock, 2 guns that trade 0.00001 assembly for loose tolerances and reliability). So the Luger is a finicky jewel, eh?

I loaded up 115 gr WWB and rapid-fired through a couple of mags' worth- as fast as I could pull the trigger- and all it did was make a pretty rainbow of ejected brass. No faults, no jams, no misfeeds.

some of you may know me from the old S&P /Pub here on the 'Dog- I'm still lifting. Our old saying, "No vid, no lift" - 'member that? Well, I'm going to have to vid my shooting- seems some doubt my word on what we shoot. I'm not being called an out-and-out liar yet, but the doubt is there. so I'm going to set up the old vid camera and tape some shots.
I was ringing the steel plate at 400 yards one-handed with teh Draco, so was Nathan. 400 yards is as far or close as you make it. I've made non-hunting shots at 3 or 4 times that distance, and so has Nathan, so 400 just isn't that big of a deal- at least to me. I'll post em up here too.

I couldn't get over the Luger hitting at 400. I didn't use the drop that you'd expect to use; testament to the 9mm cartridge (this one isn't +P- 1050 fps, give or take).

I had to tell Nathan that one of his PSLs was bent. He had installed a AK front sight base and 24mm AK74 brake on it, and it looked awesome, and lessened muzzle lift a lot. But, he kept saying it shot way right now. Thing was, he had a scope zero'ed on it. If a rifle shoots consistent, it can be zero'ed no matter what the iron sights say. He took the scope off so I could shoot irons, and I looked down it to sight. I'm so used to sighting down the top of an AK to look for sight cant, or gas block cant, or out-of-line anything, I saw immediately- "This rifle is bent Nate." It was straight from the barrel end to the front trunnion, then began to bow to the right. I looked from butt to front, and it bowed- receiver is fucked. A decent AK builder can put it on a new receiver easily enough, but it would cost him to have it done. Still, sighting from gas block to the front sight, and ignoring the rest, we were able to shoot accurately with it, so the barrel's not bent.

I think I'll be picking up a tantal soon for a great price. Love the grip change on the luger. I don't think they're as "classy" looking but certainly are much more functional.

Thanks! I like them too, although new walnut would be nicer- and $$$.

Tantals are killer rifles. Post pics when ya get it.

Be careful with the tantal. Some of the ones built by Century (pretty sure it was Century) had the wrong barrels and caused the bullets to keyhole. Do a Google search and you'll find more info on the issue.

I think I'll be picking up a tantal soon for a great price.

Be careful with the tantal. Some of the ones built by Century (pretty sure it was Century) had the wrong barrels and caused the bullets to keyhole.

Simple test: stop by Academy and pick up a cheap 30-rd box of 5.45 ammo, and bring a round with you when you buy the gun. A 5.45 is around .21 or so, whereas 5.56 is .223. Stick the bullet into the end of the barrel. A 5.45 round will sink up to the bullet case in a 223 barrel, but will stop short of the case in a true 5.45 barrel. Easy to compare too- just ask for a AR in .223 and try the same bullet in that barrel next to the Tantal, and compare how far it sinks; if they guy has an AK74, compare it to that too, then you know if your Tantal was built with the correct barrel.

Be careful with the tantal. Some of the ones built by Century (pretty sure it was Century) had the wrong barrels and caused the bullets to keyhole. Do a Google search and you'll find more info on the issue.

Definitely aware :). I was a 'gun guy' before I was a 'martial arts guy'. I've worked part time in a gun store before and still have a good friendship with the owner so I can get stuff in at wholesale prices for the most part - so it's a steal.

The tantal I'm looking as was one of the re-worked ones with a new barrel etc in it.
It does need the chambered reamed slightly. My gunsmith lives about 5 minutes away from me though. I could do it myself I suppose though - would just have to buy the reamer. I've had a little experience with AKs before so it wouldnt be too difficult.

I ended up assembling this Romy G kit during the "obama" buying craze and was offered an insane price on it so I took it. Unfortunately don't have any after pictures
cameradump1028001.jpg

That bullet test works wonders though, btw. I'm sure to take a 30'06 round with me whenever I visit CMP north @ camp perry....you know...just in case I need another garand.

I love my Garand, it's fun to shoot. Mine's a Springfield built in 1955. I want to get another one that's WW2 era.

Definitely aware :). I was a 'gun guy' before I was a 'martial arts guy'. I've worked part time in a gun store before and still have a good friendship with the owner so I can get stuff in at wholesale prices for the most part - so it's a steal.

The tantal I'm looking as was one of the re-worked ones with a new barrel etc in it.
It does need the chambered reamed slightly. My gunsmith lives about 5 minutes away from me though. I could do it myself I suppose though - would just have to buy the reamer. I've had a little experience with AKs before so it wouldnt be too difficult.

I ended up assembling this Romy G kit during the "obama" buying craze and was offered an insane price on it so I took it. Unfortunately don't have any after pictures
cameradump1028001.jpg

That bullet test works wonders though, btw. I'm sure to take a 30'06 round with me whenever I visit CMP north @ camp perry....you know...just in case I need another garand.

Nice wood in that kit.

WASR in black, for an ad:
DSC03663.jpg

DSC03664.jpg

Back