Wife brings home a surprise today....

hunto

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
....a 1940 matching-numbers Luger in 9mm. It is missing the magazine but otherwise is complete, in very good condition, and all matching numbers. I've already ordered 1 magazine from CTD.

Pics:
DSC03474.jpg

DSC03478.jpg

DSC03472.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. She called and said she had a surprise, I had no idea it was this....I have checked it out and it seems to be perfectly functional except for the magazine. When I get one in I'll take it to the range....

Never shot one before, does shoot without a magazine in?

It dry-fires after I cock it, so I'd imagine it would fire single-shot.... I don't have any 9x19 ammo here either. I have a mag on order, but I'm going to call around town tomorrow and see if anyone has one in stock. Worth the phone time anyway,....If I find one I'm going to Academy for ammo and then straight to the range.

I picked up a Winchester 30-30 a few days ago too, and haven't shot it yet. It had sat in a closet for years, and was dry as a bone. Other than that, though, very good condition, for a 1957-58 Winchester, anyway.

Get that puppy appraised too. There's a market out there for lugers and if yours is worth something it would be worth it to add a rider on your renter's/homeowners insurance for it.

Always liked the look of those

but even more awesome is the
mauser_c96_9par.jpg

the Nazis really had a thing for design didn't they?

Pre-64 (1958 vintage) Winchester model 94 in 30-30 cal. (The gun above the Winchester is a Stevens .410 bolt-action shotgun.)
DSC03488.jpg

The only flaws:
Rust be damned, check out that bluing!
DSC03491.jpg

Last edited:
Is that Han Solo's gun? LOL!

Good eyes!

Mauser C96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The C96 frequently appears as a "foreign" or "exotic" pistol in a number of films and TV shows, owing to its distinctive and instantly recognisable shape,[4] and, for the same reasons and in the same tradition, a C96 was modified to form Han Solo's prop blaster pistol for the Star Wars films.[4]"

Also, this was interesting about the C96:
"The Mauser C96, with its shoulder stock, long barrel and high-velocity cartridge, had superior range and better penetration than most other standard pistols; the 7.63x25mm Mauser cartridge was the highest velocity commercially manufactured pistol cartridge in existence until the advent of the .357 Magnum cartridge in 1935.[7]" (1,394 ft/s)

Damn I'm liking your guns hunto.

I have also wanted a C96 for basically 20 years since I first saw it in Star Wars, I will have to try to find one soon. I wonder how many have been ruined by converting them into the Han Solo gun(both in the movies and by fans)? That would be cool, but I could never trash a piece of history like that.

Me too CorpSlave! :D

Last edited:
I was reading about the C-96 today- wiki says it was the highest-velocity cartridge available until the advent of the .357 magnum. Interesting weapon.

bolt action shotgun? you actually use that or just an oddity?

I have never seen one before

bolt action shotgun? you actually use that or just an oddity?

I have never seen one before

I got it in a lot of guns for some work I did for a lady my wife works with. A pump .22LR, a 1966 Remington 1100 12 ga, a 1958 Winchester 30-30, and the bolt .410. They all function normally, and I plan to bring them to the range Saturday and test them all. I'll test fire the AKs too as I've made changes to the front end- I changed out the front sight base for a later model with a longer collar bearing surface for the muzzle brake, and the appropriate muzzle brake. Also, I had the sight on my 5.45 driven on too far, and so I brought the end of it flush with the crown, and pinned it. Indexed the muzzle brake so it's tight and locks in the detent pin with as little play as possible as that can cause inaccuracy too.
And, I ordered a nickle plated magazine for the Luger ($36.00, not bad) and so I'll be testing it as soon as it comes in, if I can wait that long. I may just bring it to the range Saturday and shoot it single-shot without the mag. It'll be a full day of shooting and cleaning guns.

:icon_chee

Last edited:
I'm breaking the long guns down outside today and going back over them more carefully- cleaning the metal with Hoppes, cleaning the wood with boiled linseed oil and turpentine mixed about 3:1 or so. I'll scrub the checkering, etc, then wipe clean, and BLO the wood stocks on the inside. Let them sit and absorb the oil, and wipe them dry, and reinstall them.

Neat thing I learned about AK stocks: the Russians used pine tar on their stocks (so did the Finns) and it makes wood last damn near forever. Mix pine tar, BLO, and some turpentine together for a killer wood treatment and preservative. It will keep it from drying out and turning gray, and make it last almost forever. I just ordered a 3-liter can of dark pine tar, otherwise known as kiln-burnt pine tar. The dark is an even better preservative than the regular pine tar, but is more expensive. It's $45 for 3 liters of dark vs $45 for 5 liters of light, $1995.00 for 55 gal drum of light. But a deck that someone has a lot of time into, a lot of pride, it's an investment. A person could make a fortune just putting wood preservative on peoples decks and patios- you could guarantee it forever practically.
The wood that's sometimes found from Viking days- that's been preserved with pine tar. It's been around for centuries. Flag poles used to be treated with it, to strengthen them and make them last. Dozens of uses. The best stuff is the Swedish pine tar- accept no substitute- they're the ones that's been making it forever, and is the most highly regarded pine tar available.

And I'm experimenting with shellac, refinishing cheap Romanian AK stocks. They're generally laminated birch, so after it's stripped it's nice and white to accept whatever you want to stain or color it with. My wife asked me to refinish a wooden wastebasket top and so I did it in AK iodine red, like the stocks above. :D Shellac is awesome to work with. It dries fast, although it isn't fully cured for a week. It can be layered, each coats dissolves into the one applied before it. If you mess up, brush it with denatured alcohol- it will re-dissolve and flatten out into a nice shine. Fuck-up proof. If you really fuck it up, wait a week or so, and wet-sand it for a piano finish.

And the way all this stuff makes my garage and work place smell- it's so earthy and strong, each scent has it's own character, but they belong together- boiled linseed oil pine tar, turpentine, and shellac.

Remington 1100

my battle axe!

most sold semi I believe, a work horse

I have had some feeding troubles thou, doesn't cycle that well with all shells, can't get the hang of how it wants to be oiled???

Back