Why would GSP vacate his title one win shy of Anderson's record?

Why did Anderson Silva get himself knocked out? It seems these guys lose motivation after being on top for so long.

This. I can imagine the mental drain and strain it puts on ones mind to have to continue to raise to a higher level fight after fight when you've done it for years, eventually something's just got to give and it's the mind that usually goes first with these well conditioned athletes. Even Fedor, probably one of the most disciplined fighters in the world started slipping at the end there, his last 5 or 6 fights were not the Fedor we knew. He had stopped using his Sambo and Judo, and became a bar room brawler.

Basically he was mentally worn out from the outside pressure of being a champ and the pressure he put on himself and doing this without a hunger or drive anymore to earn, win or prove something. This is probably what GSP is going through, and may have been what happened to Anderson. Anderson may have subconsciously wanted to lose, to get that hunger back. When you're the champ for so long, you don't have that goal to really fight for, like you did when you were a hungry ambitious fighter with no belt and something to prove.

Last edited:
I'm sure he couldn't care less.

He's won more fights, won more title fights, and has been far, far more dominant against better competition.

Yeah, he doesn't care about having the most title defenses in a row in the history of the company. He does care about "better competition" though and I'm sure he compares his opponents to Anderson's and Fedor's.

Fuck, why are you incapable of making a good post?

Most fighters have to get KTFO to realize that they're "done". Perhaps GSP knows he's on the downside of his career........either way, I'm betting he will never be champion again.

Oh and it's because Hendricks is in the way. He shouldn't have even made it to 9 title defenses but he and his team know that was an early Christmas gift.

For him to tie Anderson's record, he'd have to rematch Hendricks. And we all know that isn't going to happen. GSP's fans don't even have enough faith in him to keep fighting, which is pretty damn sad. They have more faith in Condit beating Hendricks than Georges.

It's funny that so many of you idiots really think fighters on the whole cares about rankings, "GOAT" and records as much as you do.

It's funny that so many of you idiots really think fighters on the whole cares about rankings, "GOAT" and records as much as you do.

It's so funny that you clowns think professional athletes don't care about accomplishments, records, and accolades.

Oh and it's because Hendricks is in the way. He shouldn't have even made it to 9 title defenses but he and his team know that was an early Christmas gift.

For him to tie Anderson's record, he'd have to rematch Hendricks. And we all know that isn't going to happen. GSP's fans don't even have enough faith in him to keep fighting, which is pretty damn sad. They have more faith in Condit beating Hendricks than Georges.

He didn't do anything because of Hendricks. Rumors were flying around GSP about retirement long before the fight and he even admitted he considered it when he was rehabbing his ACL.

He didn't do anything because of Hendricks. Rumors were flying around GSP about retirement long before the fight and he even admitted he considered it when he was rehabbing his ACL.

Is that why Firas came out and denied all of the retirement rumors? Georges himself even said he had superfight plans that would surprise a lot of fans. Instead he was thrashed against Hendricks and retired.

Seems completely idiotic and unambitious to me. For a guy so "obssessed" with his legacy and whatnot.... just odd.

Is he really that scared of Hendricks that he doesn't care about the UFC record for most consecutive title defenses, the most prestigious UFC record?

It's kinda strange that Anderson lost one win shy of tying Fedor's win-loss record.
And now GSP retires one win why of tying Anderson's consecutive UFC title defenses record.

Is this some higher power's way of telling us that...
1. Fedor
2. Anderson
3. GSP

???

Another troll thread - I have never been a fan of GSP's fighting style, but the guy is a class act and has fought over 20 UFC fights. I kind of doubt he is scared of anything except making sure his life stays in order.

his next fight was a rematch with Hendricks. He was not going to break that record anyway and he knew it.

Yeah he heard something about Johny getting an exemption from the athletic commission to 'carry over' the 30% effort that he saved from the first fight. He knew he couldn't beat 130% Hendricks

Is that why Firas came out and denied all of the retirement rumors? Georges himself even said he had superfight plans that would surprise a lot of fans. Instead he was thrashed against Hendricks and retired.

After a long day at work it feels good to read your posts for a good chuckle. Reminds me of the Sunday comics in the newspaper when I was a kid. Thanks bro

It's so funny that you clowns think professional athletes don't care about accomplishments, records, and accolades.

When a fighter is having personal issues that are effecting his day to day living then I really don't think he is giving a shit about "consecutive title defenses" at this point.
You really don't understand how much effort it takes to do what he's done already and how much pressure is involved.

Because he knew he was going to lose his next fight anyways. May as well vacate without the tough camp just to lose.

Because he was going to lose his next fight if the UFC was going to make him fight Hendricks again. He would have stuck around if the UFC was willing to screw Hendricks again and feed GSP two more favorable matchups to surpass the record.

Its very simple. Hendricks beat him up. GSP doesnt want another beating

worrying everyday about an upcoming fight with another dangerous human every day is sucky for your life
Georges was done with that and I totally understand that

Back