Why Wasn't the First Round of Conor vs. Nate 2 a 10-8?

Lol. Let’s get outraged that he didn’t get a 10-8 for scoring three knockdowns in the first. But let’s not focus on the fact that he only had one knockdown in the first.

Strawmans are fun.

I love “scoring was different back then”.

No, the rules were different. There were 10-8 rounds since they first had judges. They just recently emphasized them in the rules.

If u lit someone up with leg kicks and body shots, then dropped them 3 times at UFC 50, u were probably getting a 10-8.

But if u can’t expect the UFC’s announcer to even read a majority decision right, u can’t expect the athletics commission’s judges to know what the fuck they’re looking at.

Nah man, scoring was slightly different at the time of that fight..
Prior to the recent revisions in the judging criteria that Big John broke down in detail in a video somewhere (probably easy to find), a fighter either had to completely wreck their opponent for at least 4 out of the 5 minutes, or have a "saved by the bell" scenario to see a 10-8 round until recently. Now they hand them out a lot more frequently.

Judges... don't even need a GED to apply. But it should have been...

how does that not warrant a 10-8? People were saying that the fifth round of Romero vs. Whittaker 2 should have been a 10-8 because of one knockdown
yes, the answer is that there was a major change in how scoring works between these two fights.

if round 1 of Conor v Nate II happened today it would probably be a 10-8. or maybe not. but it's certainly closer now, since the scoring criteria change, than it was then.

Big John explains it best in the first link below, but if you prefer text, there are two other links.

http://www.mmanewsline.com/big-john-mccarthy-explains-upcoming-mma-rule-changes/
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/1/...g-criteria-explained-hinds-bell-mma-interview
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/...fied-rules-new-judging-criteria-2016-mma-news

frankly i'm surprised someone who has posted more than a few dozen times doesn't know about this. but hey, today is a good day for you, because any day you learn something new is a good day.

Last edited:
Two knockdowns do not equal a 10-8. Its not like Nate didn't know where he was or was flopping around. Plus Conor refused to engage when he went down, so no, not a 10-8 even in todays scoring.

At the end of round 2 where Conor scored 2 knockdown and Nate had a flurry that did zero damage Goldberg came out with:

''It's 1-1''.

I put that on par with ''it takes a lot of energy to be a rockstar''.

Conor Fanboys = Conor won becuase he dropped nate multiple times.
Whittaker Fanboys = Dropping your opponent multiple times doesnt win you a fight.
Till Fanboys = TIll got the knockdown in round 5, he wins.

Ufc scoring is worse than boxing. o_O

10-8 rounds are basically non existent in MMA. It didn't meet the standard judges use to call it a 10-8, which is basically one guy does nothing and nearly is stopped.

Diaz fans bro. Neither brother has ever lost a fight to them

Even the Thompson KO doesn't count, he cheated by kicking and using footwork or something
This is coming from the fan base that universally accepted "I wasnt efficient with my energy" and had no problem with an instant rematch after getting choked out. Francis Ngannu has better cardio than Conor.

10-8 rounds are basically non existent in MMA. It didn't meet the standard judges use to call it a 10-8, which is basically one guy does nothing and nearly is stopped.
at the time of the Conor v Nate fights this was true. but the rules changed to give 10-8's more liberally. and it worked, because 10-8's are now given more liberally. today there are 10-8's on most cards.

Who cares, Conor is irrelevant and this fight happened 2 years ago.

Three knockdowns doesn't warrant a 10-8?

It’s not boxing and Nate goes down easily sometimes. And there wasn’t that much damage.

Not saying knockdowns don’t mean anything, but context matters.

I love “scoring was different back then”.

No, the rules were different. There were 10-8 rounds since they first had judges. They just recently emphasized them in the rules.

If u lit someone up with leg kicks and body shots, then dropped them 3 times at UFC 50, u were probably getting a 10-8.

But if u can’t expect the UFC’s announcer to even read a majority decision right, u can’t expect the athletics commission’s judges to know what the fuck they’re looking at.

And the way fights were scored has changed, 10-8's have clearer criteria now

Conor destroyed Nate in Rounds 1 and 2. Literally schooled him. He slowed down in 3 and 4 but even those rounds he took very lite damage deflecting most shots from Nate. Then won round 4 easily. I know it's hard to judge that fight because whenever Nate was punching Conor on the fence while Conor shoulder rolling most shots, Joe Rogan was having his usual retarded melt down saying Shit like " OMG Conors in trouble!!! He's hurt" as Conor walk out that fight with not bump
on him.

Learn what a shoulder roll is retard!

at the time of the Conor v Nate fights this was true. but the rules changed to give 10-8's more liberally. and it worked, because 10-8's are now given more liberally. today there are 10-8's on most cards.
I know the new rules said they should give them more liberally but they still seem very rare, but they are more common than they were

I'm surprised that this fight was so closely scored considering Conor won three rounds clearly and the margin by which he won the first round. Conor scored three knockdowns in the first five minutes, how does that not warrant a 10-8? Couple that with Conor winning the second and fourth rounds as well and he should have won a clear UD. People were saying that the fifth round of Romero vs. Whittaker 2 should have been a 10-8 because of one knockdown, why does no one talk about this fight?
Old scoring system didn't advocate 10-8s unless someone was nearing the point of death.

Back